4G router external antenna/amplifier

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by AsiJu, Jun 5, 2016.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hi!

I'm upgrading from a 4G USB dongle to a router/modem to try and improve connection speed.

The router has its own antenna but can also use an external one.
    There were all sorts of specs listed for the ex. antenna which I'm not familiar with.

So if anyone running a similar setup could give some hints for the ext. antenna or amplifier?
    Thanks!

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Does the SIM go into the router, or the USB dongle connect to it via USB?

Antenna is for 4G or WiFi?

My router can connect to 3/4G using USB dongle, so the antenna is just for WiFi

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    The SIM goes into the router, I'm replacing my current 4G dongle with it. Antenna is for 4G, the router connects to PC via WiFi, USB or ethernet cable.

I can dig up the exact specs of the router too.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    EDIT - Didn't read OP properly

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I actually found an e-tailer that specializes on this stuff, they have a ready selection of 4G LTE antennas for both indoor/outdoor mounting for routers.

Chances are I'll need one to make proper use of the router as apparently the coverage/signal strength isn't optimal where I live.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I did post a link to external 4G antennas, but then re-read your OP saying you didn't know which external to buy, so my post became pointless lol

Yea for mobile data I'd definitely want an external antenna, booster too if you're in low signal area, think I saw "High Gain" as recommended

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Got the router and not the slightest improvement over the dongle so ordered an antenna too.
    The ISPs also doing network servicing atm so speeds might be lower due to that, will wait and see.

If the antenna doesn't help either I'll return both the antenna and the router. No point in paying around 200 € for a router if I get the same speed with the dongle.

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Adding to my little story here:

from what I can tell, the signal strength is actually pretty good, around 75 dBm, but the signal quality is absolutely horrible.
    SINR (signal-to-noise ratio) hovers around 0 and even goes negative from time to time!

Meaning the background noise is stronger than the actual LTE signal.

Question: does using an external antenna/booster help more with signal strength or signal quality? Or both?

Sent the same question to my ISPs tech support but for some reason I really doubt I'll get a proper answer.
    They'll just try selling me a bigger router...

EDIT: the antenna def helped, download speed is now triple what it used to be (3+ MB/s) so I'm satisfied. For now.
    Had to do quite a bit of searching to find the optimal spot for the antenna though, at first it seemed like the antenna didn't make much difference.

Once the ISP gets the servicing done speeds could bump up further still, servicing should be done by the end of next week.

RSSI is now around 65 dBm and SINR is 8 on average so a lot better.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016