Overclocking causes problems at start up, timing issue

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by rock1m1, Oct 19, 2014.

1. rock1m1

rock1m1 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Trix R9 290
    So it took me few hours to realize what the issue was. Basically, every time I start my Windows 8.1 computer (fast boot, not restart), my screen would flicker and within seconds it will turn black. I didn't understand what the issue was as I have been using this stable overclock for well over several months now and temperature of GPU is more than acceptable of 78 degrees C being highest.

The problem only happens if I enable overclocking at startup using Afterburner. However, If i manually apply the overclock setting after I reach the Desktop, no flickering or any problem happens. I believe the problem has to do with the timing of which the afterburner applies the overclock. I am using an SSD and combined with Windows 8.1 fast boot; after pressing the start button it takes me no more than 5 seconds to reach the login screen. This is when the afterburner tries to apply the overclocking settings and causes my screen to jitter and eventually turn black. I have to do a hard reset to fix this.

However, If I restart my computer this issue does not happen.

My GPU ratings from Afterburner

Sapphire Trix R9 290 OC
    Core: 1130Mhz
    Memory: 1500Mhz
    Voltage: +50
    Power limit: +30

2. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    you could try, open MSIafterburner.cfg file and change this line

StartupDelay= 0 >20000

3. rock1m1

rock1m1 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Trix R9 290
    The startup delay does not work as I don't think it applies the overclocking settings, it is a process. I just need to know the name of the process so i can apply some delay...