Possible ideas for future Afterburner functionality upgrades

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    I think it would be very nice to have more control of what audio-quality is recorded and if possible even to set a Codec.
    for Example via ACM:
    [​IMG]

But besides other codecs (maybe even AAC via ffdshow library) It would very nice if MSI-AB would obey the audio system settings.
    If I set quality to 48kHz@24Bit for recording in Windows I don't expect to have 48kHz@16Bit in the recorded video. (which is happening atm)

best regards,
    Andy

2. De-M-oN

De-M-oN Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
    I dont recommend recording lossy already if you want to re-encode your capture later. It is qualitywise a bad idea.

But having the possibility to record higher than 16bit would be indeed nice.
    __

Also a very special question:

Would be a very small OSD indicator possible for the status of the audiotracks (like for video the circle) ?

For some unknown reason the microphone audiotrack stopped recording after about 2 minutes for a friend. So it would be handy if you could see that.
    ___
    Maybe a changable color for only the fps counter? (or size)? So it would be better visible without zooming the whole OSD.
    ___

oh and another thing:

DXtory has a checkmark for doing the record as soon as it detects a hookable application. This is very helpful if you want to record for example an game intro from the first frame on. Maybe you can add such a feature here too.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  3. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    When I can set audio to codec/quality I use to have in final video, I don't have to re-encode audio again, just to cut.

Since MSI AB 4 you have the possibilty to set "video prerecord" to "auto", which is nearly what you are asking.
    When the application is starting, prerecording starts automatically and you just have to hit record once and it will write down the prerecord-buffer which has started from the first frame...

4. De-M-oN

De-M-oN Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
    nice workaround idea. Thank you. I'll try that out as soon as I need this :)

5. libben

libben Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6950 2gb
    Has there been any suggestion for adding fan curves to the profiles?

I also want to be able to rename profiles.

I have one good profile when I surf, and 2 other profiles for when I play diffrent games that put diffrent load on the GPU. I really thought that fan curves were supposed to be bound to profiles assignment. Or am I executing the fan saving process wrong and there is fan curves support for every profiles i choose?

Anyway, love the app, but I would really appreciate fan curves support in profiles and to be able to name my profiles.

Thanks for the great work!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Your not doing anything wrong, fan profile is global ,only one used .

The problem with app dependent fan ,clock etc profiles is what happens when 2 or more apps are running . If you focus on foreground app your in trouble as background is still running . How would you set profiles switching, to usage % ?

That is big problem if you think about it .

7. libben

libben Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6950 2gb
    Well, I'm only talking about activating one profile manually by hand when I game a certain game or for when I surf sort of.

Now I've just given up on having diffrent Curves and just enter a higher static % value and instead of using Auto and curve option, in the end it gives me a higher decibel noise from that though :(

But It would be nice to be able to just switch between fanprofiles with diffrent curves.

8. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    If you make a custom curve it should be able to support any usage .

9. libben

libben Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6950 2gb
    I wished it was that simple. But in my case. I have overlapping problems for when I surf and for when I game.

So sometimes when i watch youtube or anything with HD activated for instance, It drums up over the point where I want my game profile to be active all the time.

So I Sort of want 25% for surfing up to 82 degrees, and when I game I want my profile to start and be static from 70 degrees at around 42%.

And this does not really work for me now, So i have to manually set it every time I want to game. A bit anoying. :banana:

10. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Is it technically possible to let AB take screenshots in games running under Mantle (as in, without having to implement something huge)?

11. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    No

at least not yet (until unwinder gets hands on Mantle SDK)

12. Booyaah

Booyaah Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4 GB
    Hi,

Today I was playing ACU and trying to record in Surround mode at 6020x1080 at 60fps. I found that Shadowplay does not work at all (what a surprise) and OBS kind struggles, there's a bunch of flickering and lag spikes.

Anyways I tried AB using NVENC (I assume this is the H.264 hardware chip on the GPU), and apparently I can't handle 'full frame size' at this resolution. I will get flickering and when I go to playback the video it is audio only.

So I tried 1/2 frame size and it worked no problem, no framerate loss or hiccups or anything. So I see in the AB video capture settings the options for the frame size are full, 1/2, 1/4, etc.

My request #1 is there any way you can add some more frame sizes close to the original full frame size? Like maybe 5/8, 6/8, 7/8 framesize? Or even better yet, use a percentage slider for the frame size resolution.

My request #2 is I would like to be able to play at my native 6k resolution, but would be fine if the video only took the pixels from my center monitor. Is there any way you could make a small UI widget that would allow you to move/resize a rectangle around to crop out a smaller portion of the entire video?

Here is what the quality looks like after YT compressed it even more it looks 480p'ish:

Thank you for your consideration :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  13. Booyaah

Booyaah Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4 GB
    Oh and 1 more question.

I know the amount pixels on a Surround resolution is a lot to save to begin with and recording that resolution at full framerate is a lot of data. Hypothetically speaking, if the GTX 980ti comes out with an 8 GB, would that maybe solve the recording issue at full frame size? Or is that more of a CPU/RAM thing?

14. CoolCmd

CoolCmd Member

GPU:
    CGA 16K
    How can I read and write 16-bit I2C commands (words)? /ri /wi /ai /oi /xi works only with 1 byte. For example, ncp4206 have some 16-bit commands.

15. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

/fm2 can be specified before any I2C command

16. Unwinder

It is not a question of memory, 4K resolution is hardware limit of 9xx NVENC. The maximum resolution supported by NVENC hardware on 6xx/7xx series is 1080p. The rest of your questions were discussed before, use search please.

17. CoolCmd

CoolCmd Member

GPU:
    CGA 16K
    "Possible ideas for future Afterburner functionality upgrades": write description for all useful command line options. :tool:

18. Unwinder

CLI for direct access to hardware is intended for power users only, it is hidden from regular users and not documented publicly anywhere on purpose.

19. CoolCmd

CoolCmd Member

GPU:
    CGA 16K
    Unwinder, /profile1 top secret classified option? :) ok, this is for power users. i am mega extra super power user. and i don't see any options list on this forum.

20. Booyaah

Booyaah Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4 GB
    Sorry to sound like that guy, but I don't understand your response. If 3840x2180 is supported by 9xx NVENC and since 6020x1080 is less pixels, then why would the encoder fail to record the video stream?

I honestly tried searching on frame size and nvenc but the only post it returned of relevance was my own post. Care to provide a link?

Are you saying larger frame sizes can't be supported?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.