Interested in a laptop, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by UnknownHeroM, Mar 6, 2003.

1. UnknownHeroM

UnknownHeroM Guest

My first post in this forum, wooo. :) Anyways, I was trying to figure out if a laptop is something I'm going to need for college, and if so, what type I should get. I've considered Dell and Alienware, but Dell pc's suck for serious gamers like myself. Alienware's Area 51-M (mobile) looks pretty good, but is that as good as it gets? I know almost nothing about laptops, small things like battery life, weight and performance.

Ok.. for you college students/grads, is a laptop really that great? I haven't checked with my college yet (Embry Riddle, Daytona Florida) about courses that may require them, which I will be doing shortly. My main concern is money and the good use of it. I can think of three scenario's for college concerning PC's, the first being going to college with just my desktop and carrying a floppy disk around everywhere I go. The second, is leaving my desktop at home and buying a really nice laptop, which could potentially get stolen or screw up and leave me in a world of hurt. Third, take my desktop and buy a really crappy 300-500 dollar POS word processing laptop. Thanks for your time..

Another comment: it sucks that the comment system on the driver and software download pages has been removed, thanks to those who ruined it for all the rest of us! (DIE) :bang: :bang: :bang:

2. Zeroimage

Zeroimage Guest

Let me be the first to welcome you here :), I'm sure you will enjoy your stay as I do (and many more).

As for the laptop Sony have just released 2 new models, the 12" and 17" screen sizes, good system specs and at a reasonable price if you look around.

I too currently go to college and I'm studying for a IT diploma, I have not found the need for a Laptop as the college has PC's and you can work on them and then continue on your Home PC. I would reccomend a good size USB drive so you can transfer your work between college and home.

I would seriously think about a laptop, decide if you REALLY need it, plus consider the fact if it gets stolen you have lost your work and new laptop.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2003
  3. Hi and welcome!
    As I'm from Germany I've never been to an American college but if I compare it to the higher schools here a laptop is way too much. You said you are a serious gamer; one more reason NOT to get a laptop. I'm not a big fan of laptops because I don't think you need them anywhere. I mean I never came across any situation where I could have needed one. Like Zeroimage said, I would think about getting a nice USB HD or something like that to move data from the college's PCs to your desktop at home but I would never buy a laptop.
    Save the money for something you can upgrade, instead :rolleyes:

4. ciz28

ciz28 Guest

i'm probably not too much help in terms of what to get, but i can provide my perspective on whether or not to get one. i'm probably not nearly as into gaming as you, but i definately like having a powerful machine. i went the desktop route for my first year of college and definately have not regretted my decision. most people i have talked to that got desktops were happy and those that actually had laptops tended to use them as desktops most of the time anyways. :rolleyes: now that i'm going into my second year, i'm actually considering getting an ultraportable laptop to supplement my desktop. i go to the university of michigan, and the way campus is set up all of the engineering facilities (which i'm majoring in) are on a different campus from the other classes, and even farther from where i'm going to be living. although there are computers around that i could use, i just don't like using public computers. you also run into issues of file transferring and availability. we have wireless hotspots in a lot of buildings, so wireless internet on a laptop would be very convenient.

5. ciz28

ciz28 Guest

after checking out the prices of an alienware laptop :eek: you could easily build a great gaming machine and get a reasonable ultraportable laptop, maybe even for less money! i was looking at a fujitsu p1000 for about $1200. (i'm kind of a sucker for cool gadgets like that...) with between $1000 and $2100 left over (considering the prices of the alienware laptops) you could easily build a killer gaming rig. just a consideration...

edit: hmm, seems that you've already considered this option. :O oh well, maybe you'll get something out of my thoughts...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2003
  6. Cosmos

Cosmos Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 770 4GB
    I am also considering a laptop, I got to college but I can't bear to be stuck on their slow and sluggish computers all day and also working in my room most of the time. I have been considering a laptop with an AMD 64-M processor, a laptop that is over 2GHz is suited. Also, hopefully it will feature a decent graphics card so I can play games when I get bored. :p It also has to feature network ports and many USB ports (version 2 would be best) And also a dvd/cd-rw. I hope you can also advsie me a laptop that I can order in the UK.

7. fallenx

fallenx Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT
    I would buy a cheap laptop, and use a desktop for gaming. Unless you really wanted to play games in class (which some people I know do)

8. Cosmos

Cosmos Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 770 4GB
    Of course it would be nice to play games without carrying a giant desktop pc on your back.