Temperature Monitoring Problems

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Actorios, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Actorios

Actorios Member

GPU:
    ASUS 8800 GTS 512 @ 750/1782/1050
    Hi ppl!

i'm new in this forum, but i've been using rivatuner for about 2 years now... i never had any problems with the program, whether i used it with ati or nvidia hardware. At this point, thumbs up for Unwinder's great work!

Since i bought my new 6800 GT card, i've been trying to use the temperature monitoring abilities of RivaTuner, with no success. It seems everytime i change the power user entries to monitor temperature nothing happens. i am pretty sure there is a thermal sensor on my card, since VTuner 2, the oc-software from Gigabyte can read the temperature. I always thought that the card is reference design. Anybody has the same card? It's the one with the heatpipe cooler and the fan on the upper side of the card.
    Could anyone tell me step by step what i have to do to enable temperature monitoring with rivatuner? VTuner does not record temperatures and i really need that feature.
    Also, my card seems to have an oc-ing limit when i reach 400 MHz on the core frequency, though i get no artifacts or anything like that. should a bios mod help fix that?

thanx for your answers :) i'd really appreciate any help i can get!

EDIT: ok, seems the oc-limit was temperature related, with the vga silencer i get up to 430, before it goes back to default 350. but the temperature monitoring pbl with rivatuner still remains, any ideas?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  2. j0j081

j0j081 Banned

GPU:
    bfg gtx 260
    Works fine here on my BFG 6800 GT. I just open RivaTuner, click on the little button under display adapter where it says customize, then select hardware monitoring. Why are you messing with the poweruser entries you don't need to? Also, doesn't your card tell you the temp in the control panel? I know that doesn't keep record of it for recording/testing purposes but at least you'd know if it has a sensor.

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Current version of RT doesn't provide temperature monitoring for the sensors, which are not supported by the ForceWare driver. So if you don't see temperatures in the driver's control panel - you won't see them in 15.5 too.
    RC15.6 (yes, it is still alive ;)) will provide you a possibility of adding custom sensors support yourself, the sample with ASUS V9999 monitoring is already added to SDK, probably the sample for Gigabyte will be added too. In meanwhile, I'd like to ask you to launch RivaTuner with /i2cd command line switch to help identifying your sensor. Then post created I2C dump here.

4. Actorios

Actorios Member

GPU:
    ASUS 8800 GTS 512 @ 750/1782/1050
    I was afraid sthng like that was going on. Unfortunately i dont see temperatures in the control panel, so i suppose gigabyte is using a sensor thats not recognized by forcerware. Anyway, thx a lot for your answers. i guess i'm really looking forward to the new RC 15.6 version ;)!

In the I2C dump the only device that was NOT invalid was this:

Probing device 2d...
    FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
    A6 80 80 8E 00 00 3A 1D FF FF 00 FF 00 FF 00 FF
    00 FF 00 00 00 00 00 50 4B 50 4B FF FF 00 00 00
    05 00 FF 00 FF 00 FF 11 00 00 10 15 A3 5C 60 FF
    00 04 03 70 7F FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
    01 00 01 FF 00 14 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
    C9 02 3A 71 39 38 37 33 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
    FF 2D 00 FF 00 64 00 FF 00 00 FF 00 00 FF FF FF

All other devices were invalid.
    I hope this helps!

EDIT: the above was found while "Scanning I2C port 2..."

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Thanks, that info is really helpful. It is W83L785R, the plugin for this sensor will be included in the next RT

6. HHawk

HHawk Member

GPU:
    Asus X1900 XTX (watercooled)
    I have a V9999 GE as well and flashed it to an V9999 Ultra (unlocking the pipelines and stuff and running it at 400/1100).

Here is my complete IC2 dump. Hopefully it's useful.

I2C dump

And keep up the excellent work there. :)

Regards...