Sound Blaster ZxR Vs Sound Blaster Z

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by cryohellinc, Jul 21, 2016.

1. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Good day, as you probably saw (below this topic most likely :) ) my previous topic, where I have spoken regarding " Asus Strix Soar odd Static Buzz " during games.

Buzz was directly related to GPU activity, higher FPS = higher buzz/pitch.

Hence after doing some research, and sending Strix Soar back to where it came from, I am back to my onboard sound (which honestly isnt that bad combined with my Amplifier, its pretty fine, at least compared to Strix, and doesn't buzz).

But now my question comes down to - Sound Blaster ZxR Vs Sound Blaster Z.

Regardless of price, which ones provides better shielding / build quality overall? Is ZxR using some sort of specific meaty equipment inside, or its simply a more fat version of Z?

Personally features of ZxR (external volume regulator and that extra card) aren't that important for me, what I care about the most is good sound and for the love of god no static buzz as it drives me crazy.

Please suggest, or maybe there are even better options in terms of sound cards?

Thank you. :nerd:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  2. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    Iv used both, and I can say the Sound Blaster ZxR uses far better parts then the Z, and I haven't personally experience any humming/buzzing sound in games play with my ZxR. Sound quality on the ZxR is brilliant too, and no issues with software either.

I believe the ZxR is shielded pretty well (taking it apart few times!) but make sure isnt a grounding issue your hearing, Because something like a ground isolator can resolve humming/buzzing sounds, and they dead cheap to try before changing sound card.

Isnt a solution but its a good work around if the ground isolator calms the humming/buzzing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AV-Link-Ground-Loop-Isolator/dp/B000NVWB9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469103047&sr=8-1&keywords=ground+isolator

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I see! Well then choice is obvious. Thank you for suggesting this isolator. I will definitely buy it as well on par with new ZxR as soon as i receive my cash back.

Thank you!

4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The sound blaster ZXR headphone amp is better then the one that is on the sound blaster Z, and the second thing is that the ZXR has replaceable op-amp's, which you can use to change the sound signature of the sound card, on all channels including the headphone out. Plus the headphone amp on the zxr is stronger then the one that is on the sound blaster Z.

If you have issues again then you may need to get an ground isolator like holystarlight mentioned.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Thank you for suggestion. I will definite order an isolator such as the one mentioned by Holy (or are there better options?), as I won't risk it again. Besides its quite cheap.

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
  7. holystarlight

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
  8. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I wonder if i should get both of those isolators for ultimate overkill no static sound. xD

9. holystarlight

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    ground isolators can distort the sound quality(can give sound more of a softer feel, has something to do with the frequency), only use them when you really need too! more isnt necessarily better here lol :)

10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    yea it wouldn't make sense to use them if you don't have any issues at all. As that money could had went to something else.So it best to wait to see if you have the issues first before getting one.

11. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I have the regular Sound Blaster Z. I was personally very impressed with the audio. If you plan on using a nice headset, and nothing crazy surround wise with like 7.1 systems and woofers go Z. If you want the best of the best and use heavy duty equipment go ZxR.

But the Z should be enough for even some high end equip, just the ZxR goes a bit beyond that.

The only reason I don't use it now, is because I went purely headset for now. I still have it, but winded up getting the G633's which sound amazing in dts Headphone X.

12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Thanks for feedback guys! :)

Not sure how much of heavyweight equipment i have, however my headset is Beyerdynamic DT990 250ohm combined with relatively old, but working really well Logitech Z-2300 THX-Certified 2.1 Speaker System. It has a built in Amp that as far as i can tell gives a good sound boost with nice quality.

However based on the above analysis and your suggestions guys, i went with ZxR and this small AV Link Ground Loop Isolator.

Order is on its way. Hopefully altogether it will remove this annoying noise.

Will give some feedback as soon as it arrives.

13. holystarlight

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    Looking forward to what you think of the ZxR its awesome sound card hopefully all your issues are resolved! :)

14. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Got it today.... this is literally what i think and how i feel right now [​IMG]

and that ground isolator is [​IMG]

p.s.
    Just one question, any idea why ZxR does not support EAX 2/3/4/5?

Trying in Medieval 2 Total War Kingdoms, says the device does not support. Its Creative technology, do i need to download some extra patch for it to work? :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  15. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB

16. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    @cryohellinc

Most creative cards support EAX 2/3/4/5 even the newer ones.Any game that used the older Direct Sound Hal audio won't let you enable Eax unless you use alchemy which is an sound wrapper. Usually all other audio devices in the past supported EAX 1. before the removable of hal audio.

Older games that use's OpenAL that uses some form of EAX will work natively. It just the game's that are trying to use something that was removed from windows since the dawn of Vista.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  17. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Thank you guys! That actually worked and helped, however oddly I get some strange Hum with EAX in Medieval 2 Total War Kingdoms.

But at least it works, so will experiment a bit!

18. holystarlight

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    Haha! glad its working out for you!