Need more volume. Headset or Sound Card?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by dk_lightning, Apr 29, 2016.

1. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    I have been using Corsair's 2100 WiFi headset for over a year now and for over a year I have been putting up with pain in my ears after wearing them for only an hour or 2, and frankly I am sick of it.

The problem is I kinda have a small head. In height at least. And the 2100's do not adjust small enough for my head and thus the top of the ear cups "hang" on my ears witch is where the problem is.

So. I went and go me a the Roccat Kave XTD Stereo version, Not the 5.1.

These are great in the fact that the headband can be adjusted to be quite small and fits great and is comfortable and I have been able to wear them for hours and hours today with no discomfort. BUT.. they are lacking in volume.. a lot.

My 2100's get much louder and pack a punch. The Kave's just don't.. But I thought it might be down to my on-board audio. So I got the Asus Xonar DSX but there is no change at all.

So I was wondering if something like the SB Audigy FX would be better as it advertises louder headphone output or is that a load of rubbish??

So basically will the right sound card help with volume out put or is it just the headset (Roccat Kave) that is the problem?

I would love to keep my 2100's but I just want to play games without having to stop after and hour or 2 and wait like 2 more for my ears to recover.

I am also thinking of modding the 2100's if I can to lift them up a bit so they don't hang on my ears.

Cheers.

2. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Here is my opinion on this matter....

First and foremost I am very picky when it comes to sound so in a nutshell if you want more power then a sound-card can provide ( which btw ) is not enough for me I use an Exrernal A/V receiver a high-end one also. I tried running on-board audio which is decent by todays standards, then I went with a external soundcard and again I did not barely notice a diffrence at all!

After going through 8-10 pairs of (gaming ) headphones, Kept breaking on me I picked-up my Sennheisers and my Receiver, I will NEVER go back to using either or again lol.