Leaked BIOS easily turns Radeon HD 7970 into GHz Edition

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Lane, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock

I Highly suggest to peoples to wait a bit there's more result before try. FLASHING A VIDEO CARD BIOS IS NOT 100% SAFE AND CAN RESULT ON CARD DAMAGE ::: DONT DO IT IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU DO OR IF YOU HAVE A DOUBT

This information is really fresh and only some few tests have been made. the 7970Ghz are in general differently binned of "standard version", More results are needed for see how the standard 7970 are working with this bios .

The software given is an application who will directly flash the card. if you want to conserve the older bios for going back to this bios ( even if 7970 have a dual bios setting ). Make a save before.

No idea yet if it work for flash in Crossfire mode.

Article and link to the bios.
    http://icrontic.com/article/leaked-bios-easily-turns-radeon-hd-7970-into-ghz-edition

Discussion thread with some flash results.
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1704287&page=2

If you want use this bios, you need use the 12.7beta driver for get PTE and TurboBoost enabled ( as it contain the software algorythm needed )

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    There were quite a few people here whose cards burned out after flashing their 6950s to 6970s .. just throwing a word of caution before any one attempts it!!

3. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    Yes, i hope i have put enough warning.

2 things in addition:

- 7970GHZ work at higher voltage of the 7970, this mean more heat is possible, ( so more noise if you have a stock or standard cooler ) .

- the 7970GHZ consume more watts.

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    What does this mean ? need higher rated ones ? how can you tell which is good and not ?

5. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    Different ASIC quality mean different voltage for get the same clock speed stable, and same apply for the GDDR5 at 1500mhz.. if you card dont support this speed at stock voltage better to dont try.

6. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    but what would be the difference in a stock overclock to 1ghz and 1500mhz ddr and the bios flash ?

7. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    At first view i will say nothing, but it is really needed to wait more results.

The dram voltage could be set lower if they have binned the ram differently.

For vcore, i dont think this will change anything untill the PowerTuneBoost need more range. ( when Nvidia have only some few state for the corespeed when turbo is working , the AMD one have a lot more states and adjust voltage and clock by 1 mhz ).

The last thing is i have absolutely no idea how the PowertuneBoost impact the OC with a standard 7970...

8. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    The memory on the standard cards is also rated for 1500MHz (x4), it's probably either voltage or memory timing differences in the BIOS for the GHz edition, or a combination of the two that allow it to run that speed easily.

9. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    At same time, the easy way, OC a bit your card... put 1050mhz or 1100mhz / 1500mhz and voila .

10. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Very interesting, I was wondering when this was going to be attempted.

Stuck, @Lane please keep this updated. If its a lemon we need to know asap :thumbup:

11. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Interesting. My card already is OC-ed at 1GHz, but memory is at 1375 :O
    And that power boost... :wanker:
    I'll wait for more feedback.
    BTW, what voltage is used for 1GHZ here?:nerd:

12. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    Little update, one article was reporting the flash fail for them.. but at same time many have report it working... no explication of why it fail for them and working for other.

13. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    i would like to see somebody flashing this bios onto his 7950 ^^

5870 bios also worked on 5850 cards.

14. Ristogod

Ristogod Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 2xCrossfire
    I successfully updated my 2 7970s. Haven't mad much time to test them fully though for stability.

Can anyone guide me in the process of how to flash back to the original if I decide not to keep it? I was expecting a backup of the old BIOS when I ran the flash, but it went right into flashing. So I don't have a copy of the old BIOS.

15. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070

16. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    It have update both 7970 at the same time ?

Follow the link give by WL, i think nearly all bios have submitted and listed, can be just a bit tricky sometimes for find the good one as there's many.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  17. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Damn man he just took a dive into the murky waters head first. Hats off to ya soldier :john:

18. Ristogod

Ristogod Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 2xCrossfire
    Thank you so very much. Apparently Google and Bing have trouble finding that. :)

Yes it seems to have. I should have run GPU-Z on each card to see for sure, but haven't yet. I'll report back when I have (at work right now).

I was using AIDA64 to monitor GPU clocks and they were showing 1050MHz while I was playing BF3 last night on each card.

Thanks. Hopefully this was not all for naught. I've had trouble using software (Trixx, Afterburner, Overdrive) to OC my 7970s to any meaningful numbers (something doesn't play well for whatever reason, even when disabling ULPS, which often makes things worse). I was hoping for a semi-permanent way to just set and forget the clocks.

I need to test in a few more games yet to see if all is good.

BTW, my two cards are the PowerColor reference design models.

19. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    Well when i try on my two refs it say invaild adaptor 0 pc bios image, no idea why. Any help please , i have google but i found nothing about it when using atiwinflash.

20. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    can you put some screenies??:3eyes:

It looks that 7950 GHz is on the work so I'll flash my babyes too...