Windows 10 CU alt+tab freeze

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by klepp0906, Jul 19, 2017.

1. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    So this has been reported all over the place. Creators update + any nvidia driver newer than 378.92 (anything thus far from the 38x series) will cause games to freeze (visually) when tabbing back in.

at thi spoint your only option is to do a hard reset on the pc.

Ive mucked around with almost anything I can think of that would have any effect with no such luck thus far.

Does anyone know if a fix/workaround has been discovered? Is the culprit creators update or nvidia drivers post 378 or both?

I know that the problem doesnt exist on creators update with 378 or earlier. I know the problem doesnt exist on anniversary edition with 38x drivers.

Discuss!

2. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    No probs here with WD2, Skyrim SE and Witcher 3...using latest 384.76 whql.

3. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    not sure if it effects all games or specific games. Not sure if its tied to multi monitor, surround, or sli.

Also not going to bother linking the countless threads with dozens of posters all over acknowledging it (as well as manuelG posting asking for info). If your THAT interested (since it doesnt effect you) you can dig.

that being said (and i mean no offense) but why is it people cant resist posting these sort of things?

if it doesnt effect you how is this relevant to you? I know a lot of people post such things with the assertion that it must be the users fault.

Course its completely reproduceable and happens only with specific drivers and/or versions of an OS so a small iota of brain cell investment would deter anyone from jumping to that conclusion.

Still - I'm hopeful for some type of workaround. Just to be clear, you have to be playing in full screen. TRUE full screen. It happens when you return to the game. For me personally it happens in ffxiv and world of warcraft. Cant say elsewhere as those are all im playing full screen atm. I have noticed many of the other posts are games like league, overwatch etc. All the popular ones atm which is expected if it werent a game specific issue.

Microsoft released a fix in their latest insider build something along the lines of "fixed alt tab issues freezing with gears of war 4" or something and I wanted to give it a rip but that was the first and last time i'll ever upgrade an existing install to an insider build on my main pc. (so that ideas down the tube).

Now its either A) look for a fix/underlying cause B) wait for nvidia drivers to address C) wait for fall/redstone3 and go through this whole fun formatting thing again.

If your still reading - one of the threads I read said its a bug with pci link power management so disabling it in power settings is supposed to fix.

Not optimistic but trying nonetheless.

EDIT: didnt mean to be dicky - just frustrated w/ it. You know how it goes >.>

4. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    None taken...could be down to Windows just being Windows I guess.I've all settings for Windows tuned for performance in the visual tab so "off" more or less for a lot of stuff.

Hope you get it sorted, I can understand your frustration when things don't work as they should, I lose my ish sometimes lol.

5. Fumz

Fumz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    On the gaming rig Windows Remote Desktop is always open so alt+tabbing is something that's constantly happening during gaming sessions. I got CU the day it was released, update drivers typically the day they're released, and haven't had a single issue.

6. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    So why don't you go ahead and actually list those "specific drivers and/or versions of an OS" as well as "specific games" instead of splashing pointless words on our screens?

Never had this issue on a CU since its release.

7. rstalcup

rstalcup Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX980Ti STRIX 6gb ea
    Freezing windows 10 1703

Yes it is an issue, one of the games I play is WoW, I know it has been around a long time. for years I play it in full screen no issues with freezing, updated to windows 10 and continued to play full screen, after update to windows 10 1703 and new Nvidia drives started locking during alt tab. I would alt tab out do something, alt tab back and screen locked, could hear the sound, only way out was pwr fail. started after wind 10 update and Nvidia 384.XX driver installs but not sure which was first. the only way to play now is in windows full-screen mode, I can alt tab as much as I want no screen lock ups but then my system is very strong.

But I would love to go back to full-screen and not windowed full-screen

8. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600

9. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Dont overclock problem solved.

10. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    Has nothing to do with overclocking. A little busy atm but since people want to reply with unhelpful assertions instead of googling the dozens of threads on a half a dozen game forums - I'll do it for ya eventually :p

Lotta white knighting it seems.

For the guy with the issue in wow, I'd love to play borderless but alas I use sli and no fullscreen = no sli.

For the guy requesting drivers - already listed them but I'll do it again.

Anything post 378.98 no bueno. Everything pre - kosher.

Aaaand the irony is for not being a bug driver/windows side - the threads I've came across suggest this EXACT driver as the fix.

Apparently everyone that has the issue must be overclocking. Not only that but 378 drivers fix it for them too! Must be more overclock friendly :p

Last but not least - amd users affected as well which surprised me. Solved by going back to anniversary.

Waiting oh so impatiently for nvidias next driver or redstone3. The 38x perform real well on cu but I can't trade stability for even a dozen fps.

11. Fumz

Fumz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    That people experience problems with a new and evolving operating system isn't uncommon. What causes specific problems on specific machines can be hard to define. There could be as many different reasons as there are machines. Given this reality, if anyone is making unfounded assertions about drivers... because they saw 12 threads in 6 game forums... it's you. Last time I checked there were a lot more than a few dozen gamers running 10 and nvidia hardware.

Nobody's white knighting. We're just relating our experiences. Yes, the overclocking comment was stupid, but this is still the internet.

When was the last time you did a clean install of 10?

12. beta-sama

beta-sama Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS GTX1080Ti WF
    Have you tested without SLI ?

Game Mode enabled/disabled ?

Disable fullscreen optimization on the shortcut ?

13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    So it's not an NV driver bug and shouldn't be discussed on this forum. Problem solved, go bug MS.

14. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    Well yes and no. Normally I'd agree. Except for using 378 or older works fine. Meaning a change on either side could fix it.

That being said

*We fixed an issue where some games like Mass Effect 3 would crash if you used Alt + TAB after 5 minutes of game play.*

Posted on insider build 16232

Course I've learned the hard way not to touch insider builds/update my main rig so it looks like waiting for an nvidia fix or waiting for redstone 3 this fall.

Either way waiting.

15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    R378 do not support the new WDDM version released with 1703 and because of this they basically run the video pipeline like 1607 did.

16. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    ah. see i learned something today. thanks for that. Now I nkow its likely tied to the new WDDM and unfortunately thats likely to be the same thing that causes substantial performance improvements in the 38x drivers ><

17. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    ftr newest drivers still no beuno for the affected hopefuls.

not listed under known issues driver or os. That by itself doesnt mean much which is why i test every driver. wish a multi billion company would do its dillignece on all fronts but i dgiress.

18. Fumz

Fumz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    Have you considered that it's your install and not the drivers?

19. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    yea, about 15 reformats ago.... LOL.

like ive said. its fine on anniversary. Not fine on creators.

also how would it be any install when any driver before a certai point and after a certain point either does or does not work?

that being said... I "think" i may be on to something.

Seems fullscreen optimizations may have a hand in it. Dont want to say one way or another yet without substantially more testing but between fullscreen optimizations, disabling vsync, and turning on maximum performance instead of optimal... I havent froze "yet" on an alt tab in.

20. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    yea i was wrong. oh well. gonna start playing ffxiv windowed w/ the graphics on low it seems.

everything else i play works fine (except wow, same issue less frequently) either because It simply doesnt exhibit the issue or because displayfusion allows me to never have to alt tab out, therefore i enver have to alt tab in.

did learn something new though. a full pc restart is not necessary if I alt ctrl del then come back/cancel before I close the process in task manager.

if i just close the process in task manager the whole pc hard locks.

maybe someone who knows more about windows inner workings can dial in on something with this bit of info.

all i know for sure is wddm 2.2 is what links it all together. if i take that out of the equation by either using an older driver version, or an older version of windows. im fine.

(fwiw also tried a diff mobo bios) only thing i havent tried is a different vbios. highly unlikely its related and more trouble than its probably worth to try.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017