Rebirth of Corsair 300R

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by wantobe, Apr 25, 2017.

1. wantobe

wantobe Member Guru

GPU:
    Rebirth of Corsair 300R - Side panel mod with RGB LED

Hello everyone,

Nothing really too exciting compared to what you see in the G3D forums but Hey, I am all about the lightning budget DIY so thought maybe it will inspire some case owners to make their case more 2017 RGB fashion friendly to keep their beloved cases and breath new life into them.

So, straight to the point. First of all I quoted my local Plexiglass workshop how much it would cost to cut a sheet of the desired size and it was a whopping £17.50 for a 6mm:infinity: sheet so I thought it is definitely worth a shot.

Sheet info: 448mm x 436mm x (your desired thickness, I found 3mm to give the best overall look, altough 6mm looked bad-ass bulletproof but edges are too thick to ignore) with 45° chamfered (a new word I learned) front edge, 60° chamfered top and bottom edges and 60° opposite chamfered edge. (Bought 2x of those just in case, and when/if it will gets scrathced I'll slap new one)
    I can add a drawing if needed.

Ordered some 4mm cage nuts which were a bit pain to put in into the cut outs where standard side panel slots in and 4mm 12mm Socket screws (tried with 6mm sockets screws but they are too bulky, but I guess depends on taste).

Attention: I found that Black cage nuts are ridiculously expensive, so I went with standard plain ones and just painted them with black marker also, black tape covers them completely. 6mm it fits but needs more than 0 effort to screw because of tight fit. Would advise against. And weak/more flexible cage is a better option because it's just easier to snap them inside. I had two cage nut options and one of them were very easy to bend and put in but other ones were very sturdy and almost impossible to use for this mod.

Black electric tape to cover the side panel fitting slots along the top, bottom and side edges, and sticked RBP remote controlled LED strip from Amazon for 11.99

And here is the result:

First attempt with 6mm sheet and before LEDs
    [​IMG]

And final result (although with new PSU as well):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally found a place for some stickers :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Incredible! The 300r has always been one of my favorite cases!

3. wantobe

wantobe Member Guru

GPU:
    Great case indeed.
    Fresh pic!

[​IMG]