A different kind of build

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by IhatebeingAcop, Jul 12, 2017.

1. IhatebeingAcop

IhatebeingAcop Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    I am remodeling one of my bedrooms. All new flooring, paint and furniture. It will be my new game room. I am looking for suggestions on your wish list.
    If you were designing a new PC gaming room, what would you put in it?

What kind of furniture?
    Paint?
    Type of flooring?
    Lighting?
    Your wish is my command. Let's hear it guys!

Adam

2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    My main concern would be sound-proofing, I'd want to fit a good surround system without having to worry about disturbing people. In my case It'd probably also double up as a cinema room, so low profile lighting that can be dimmed would be important.

I'd also probably get a nice custom hardwood corner desk fitted for using my monitor/keyboard etc and either a nice couch or a couple of armchairs central to the room, it'd depend on whether I was running a big HDTV or a projector. Some fitted shelving on the free wall would be nice for displaying collectable stuff if that's you're thing.

Most importantly, don't forget the mini-fridge so you've always got a cold beverage at hand! :p

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  3. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    This First^/ Lol....Cool Thread I need a private room too!...sound and monitor setup are Key things...

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Darkest is right, sound proofing is king. Think about getting yourself those pads for the walls (which then eliminates the decision for any color to paint and might save you the troubles of doing so).

Also, think about physically heavy furniture, so things don't start to vibrate when you turn on your sub woover. Basically get an easy to clean flooring with some carpets on it to absorb stray sound.

Make sure you have good working curtains or anything with what you can darken your room, for playing any spooky or horror orientated games.

Keep in mind, if you ever want to go for VR, a seperate room is a must, so don't put too much furniture in there if you plan on going that route at some point.

5. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    That's great, you should take pictures along the journey.

I don't know much about sound proofing, as in how work-extensive or expensive it is. But that would be nice, as the others have suggested.

I'd start simple, decide on a theme - which colours to use or which setting to go for. I'd go for uncommon colours/combinations. I would have one furniture, which to use to keep all my spare PC parts and peripherals.

I don't know if that room is strictly for gaming but if you are considering sound proofing and you have a nice surround system - watching movies here and there would be great, a bean bag maybe? Or two if you are a social animal. A have a larger screen mounted on the wall behind your main gaming monitor just for movies?

Somewhere to display all your CD/DVD cases and the boxes for the PC parts you bought (I keep the boxes).

But again, I would start small and get ideas along the way as the picture builds itself in my head.

6. shinyblueflame

shinyblueflame Guest

GPU:
    MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 / 4GB
    lcd mirror has always been a dream :3. i think i saw a diy guide on it somewhere but it looks really cool.

7. IhatebeingAcop

IhatebeingAcop Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    Those are great suggestions. I don't know if I would worry about sound proofing since I live alone. I really want it to be comfy, I am tired of sitting in a computer chair. A custom desk with somewhere I can just about lie down and game would be perfect.

8. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Downlights, dimmer switch optional.
    Celing fan
    Blackout blinds for window
    Comfy couch.
    Make a 'dinner tray' style platform for keyboard and mouse.

People always say that if you don't have a big room for a gaming room....that you shouldn't bother. But my room is just over 16x16ft with 8 foot ceilings. Extremely small for a gaming/home theatre but I have a 7.2 setup with pkans for 4 atmos speakers in the roof. As long as you set the room up as best you can for what you have and your budget it doesn't matter. Speaker and tv positioning is free and only costs common sense and the cost of a bit of timber and paint, someone can cut it for you at the shot. All you need is nails and glue and a $5 paint roller kit and a $10 tin of paint.

Build you own speaker stands, it is the easiest, best looking and most stable stand you can get. Build your own av rack too if you need one. I built aub isolation platforms with 3 sections of woof they cut for me at the shop and cuts of rubber backed carpet on the top and bottom. 4 surround stands, centre apeaker stands and 2 sub playforms probably cost me $250 all up.

Position all surround speakers so the tweeters are at or just above ear height and point the side surrounds directly at you 90 degrees and the rear surrounds about a foot or 2 max on the outside of your head firing forward.

Centre speaker should be right at the bottom of the panel and if you can angle it up a big sound quality will be massively improved.

Don't think of your tv the way you normally would, of it is for gaming make sure the top and bottom of the screen panel are 15 degrees of less off the centre line of your sights.

Here is my gaming room. My stereo/amps/tv/pc cost me about $31k-32k.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017