Rivatuner, and temp overlay in BF2142

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Tipton, May 25, 2007.

1. Tipton

Tipton Banned

Please don't tell me to use search if this is a dumb question. I can assure you that I just spent the last two hours working on this. I installed Rivatuner, and got it all set up with the dual core plugin. I have the two temps showing down by the clock, along with the gpu temp. I also followed BOSSKILLER's how to in the MSI forum on setting up the temp overlay so stats are available while gaming. The problem is, the stats(temps) do not show up under BF2142. They show up fine if I fire up one of the games that came with my Vista OS. However, I need them to show when I play BF2142. Am I missing something?? I have hot keys set up for the "Statistics server" and that functions just fine. I searched the BF2142 forums, also searched here, and came up with nothing. Maybe no one is running rivatuner and BF2142?

Here are my system specs:
    MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card

LIAN LI PC-G70B Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Pioneer Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 10X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner

Western Digital Raptor SATA 10,000 RPM.

Zalman CPU Cooler CNPS7700-AlCu LED, Pure Copper & Pure Aluminum, for Intel P4 Socket 775/478

I would appreciate any help from the guru's!!

Thanks!

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Assuming that you've set up everything properly, there can be multiple reasons of the problem, for example BF's protection system. To find them out firt try to enable "Framerate" graph and check if framerate is being displayed on the graph on it during playing BF2142. It will help to see if the server is able to integrate itself into that game on your system.

3. Tipton

Tipton Banned

Thanks for the fast reply. I will do that real quick, and report back!

4. Tipton

Tipton Banned

Ok, I set up the framerate graph, and played some BF2142. I then quit the game, and checked to see if anything had logged on the graph.

NOTHING was there......Blank!

5. Unwinder

Just to ensure that you're completely understanding the process:

The server was loaded in memory during it, right?

6. Tipton

Tipton Banned

Well, since I just installed Rivatuner, I can not guarantee that I completely understand what's going on.

I do know this. I went to hardware monitoring>setup>data sources, and then checked "framerate". This put the graph in hardware monitoring. Now, if I play a simple game that came bundled with Vista, I will see logging under the framerate graph after playing. This logging occurs when I have the statistic server up, and it also occurs when I have it shut down. I see nothing after doing the same with BF2142.

7. Unwinder

Nope, logging physically cannot occur with the server down. It is responsible for both framerate collecting and OSD rendering. So probably you've just not configured the systemproperly. Before I'll start investigating it deeper, please check boogieman's OSD guide (link to it can be found in forum sticky thread) to ensure that everything is configured correctly.

8. Tipton

Tipton Banned

Woops, you are correct.....my bad. Ok, so with the server up, and after playing BF 2142, the graph shows a straight line, and reads 0.00.

I will confirm my settings with boogieman's OSD guide.

9. Tipton

Tipton Banned

Ok, I removed my server settings, and set them back up again using boogimans OSD guide. That was exactly how I had set it up previously.

It still does not work under BF 2142 I am afraid. It just logs a straight line at 0 in the framerate graph, and the stats do not show up in game.

Keep in mind, that it is working fine in all the games that came bundled with Vista. The stats show up in game, and the framrate is logging fine in the graph. I don't usually play the Vista games, and am only using them as a test for rivatuner OSD.

By the way, this is a nice piece of software, even if for temp monitoring and fan control alone.

10. Unwinder

0 on the graph means that the sever has not registered even a signle frame rendering event for BF 2142 application on your system. OSD drawing is done after registering each frame rendering to these things are linked.
    That can be caused by several reasons: this game rendering engine specifics, this game copy/cheat protection system, your system configuration and some other software (e.g. Fraps) installed on your system etc.
    And I'm afraid that I won't be able to help you right now, because I don't have BF 2142 and I dislike the idea of purchasing it because of a single problem report, which may be easily caused by something else besides incompatibility with this game. But if there will be similar reports from other users, I may reconsider.
    Anyone else having problems with displaying OSD in this game?

11. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    OSD works fine for me in BF2 and it used to work when I had 2142 installed (crappy game IMO). The game's coding/protection has not been an issue for me.

The only thing I can suggest is start the server with your hotkey, confirm it's running in the tray, then fire up 2142.

12. Tipton

Tipton Banned

Well, they have had a few patches come out recently. Maybe that broke things. What OS are you running?

By the way, I have tried starting the server first, and then fired up BF 2142. Same issue.

13. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    I'm running XP SP2.

14. Tipton

Tipton Banned

I am running Vista, so maybe that's the difference. BF 2142 is running just fine on Vista. However, during the install, I got a warning that it was not tested on Vista.

15. Unwinder

By any chance are you running BF as admin under Vista with UAC enabled? If you're then it can be the reason. UAC doesn't allow non-admin applications to be injected into admin ones.

16. Tipton

Tipton Banned

Actually, I disabled UAC because it would not let Rivatuner start with windows. Plus UAC is a pain to deal with. So, I was running BF2142 as admin, but with UAC disabled.

In order to even be able to play BF2142 under the Vista OS, you have to right click the BF icon, properties>Compatibilty> and then put a check in "Run this program as administrator".

Just grasping at straws here, but could Windows Defender be blocking RivaTuner somehow? I do have that running, but just now thought that maybe it could be interfering?

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  17. Tipton

Tipton Banned

I did some more testing. I ran Rivatuner, and the SS "as administrator" with no luck. I even tried running both without running as administrator, along with running BF 2142 without running as administrator. No luck. This is with UAC disabled like I mentioned above.

Not that it would even matter, but I also allowed both Rivatuner, and SS through the windows firewall.

There is something keeping it from showing stats during BF 2142 game play. I checked in event viewer, and did not see any events that would lead me to believe that windows defender is somehow blocking it.

I am not sure what else to try.

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  18. Unwinder

Nothing. As I've said: I'm afraid that I won't be able to help you right now, because I don't have BF 2142 and I dislike the idea of purchasing it because of a single problem report, which may be easily caused by something else besides incompatibility with this game. But if there will be similar reports from other users, I may reconsider.

Now I see that boogieman get OSD working in BF with no issues. You're out of luck, sorry. I don't know what is wrong in your system.

19. Tipton

Tipton Banned

He had in working under windows XP. I have Vista. That might be the difference.

20. Unwinder

Probably it is a good reason for gamers to think if this (P)OS really worth installing.