How does Nvidia DSR work?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by ImAlwaysWrong, Mar 18, 2015.

1. ImAlwaysWrong

ImAlwaysWrong Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I am new to this whole area. I started looking into it when I found out that games such as Sniper Elite 3 and Metro Last light have Supersampling in their options so I found out that you can do it for other games too using your graphics card control panel but Im confused about the terms, whats the difference between supersampling and downscaling? are they the same thing?

And what does Nvidia DSR do? I have GTX 970 and am trying DSR on Assassin's Creed: Rouge and if I put it on anything else other than my native resolution (1920X1080) and DSR 4x, I get a worse quality... DSR 4X looks alot better ( I have set DSR smoothness to 0 after trying it out on different numbers) than 1920X1080 but then it gives me around 20-30 FPS. But with any other DSR resolution the game looks like its running with resolution lower than 1920X1080! why does this happen? How can I actually use DSR 1.2X or 1.5X without getting worse quality?

2. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    DSR is just downsampling or OGSSAA with a 13 tap gaussian blur, if you are using 0% smoothness then you are not doing nothing to compesate the aliasing produced by downsampling and native aliasing, for me the deafault 33% works, you can combine DSR + smaa or fxaa to achieve more smooth edges.

you can read the last pages of this thread, http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=357956&page=116

you can also use nvidia inspector to use other metods of antialiaing such as SGSSAA or regular SSAA.

there is a lot you need to lear and that can be long to answer, i was new too and i came from amd too when i upgraded my old HD 5850 to this gtx 770, i learned that not brand is better in therms of quality and antialiasing they just have differts ways to achieve it.

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    don't call it gaussian blur. It is simply using a gaussian function for it's resolve/resampling rather than the standard box filter. The 13-taps are to provide a higher quality sampling of the image when downsampling.

You can use a box function to make a blurring filter as well. It's not function specific.

0% is actually essentially point filtering which will not reduce aliasing

4. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    If you're an Asus ROG Swift user like myself, DSR doesn't work at all in SLI. The option simply vanishes. It is present when SLI is turned off however. But it makes no sense to have it like that since 4k resolution NEEDS SLI to run at decent frames. =/

5. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S

33% ? Too much, I use about 18% most(usually 15%,though not big difference from 18%). DSR works fine, however you have to choose between DSR or regular downsampling(with custom resolutions), you can't have both.

About what you write that anything but x4 is worse then your native 1080p..can't be right,something is wrong here. For me at 1600p is way better than native(1680x1050 so DSR= 1575x1520..) with 18% smoothness. And I have no performance loss (meaning 60fps all the time)

http://i.imgur.com/Sr5I5yc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/I6PEZOF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WfB9syH.jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  6. ImAlwaysWrong

ImAlwaysWrong Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    What can be wrong? what things should I check?

7. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Going by your user name, everything.

8. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Put some screenshots with and without DSR and we will continue to discuss.

9. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I thought screenshots/videos don't show DSR correctly on most capture software, or has that been addressed?

For me, I like to go heavy on the filter (40-45%).. but I use a 42" HDTV with 1080 native. I feel like the heavier filter helps compensate for larger screen vs pixel ratio.

DSR 40-45% + FXAA/SMAA is absolutely beautiful on my setup.

10. ImAlwaysWrong

ImAlwaysWrong Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Loooool

Ok sure, I will as soon as possible.

11. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    It's working perfect capturing(it) on a screenshot,it isn't like FXAA (which I also think that they have fix and it's already captured too if you have it forced via control panel).

About filter,yes TVs are capable to hide an significant amount of the blurriness of many filters due to their engines' structure. Why you think that we don't see any "lag" -or "stuttering" if you prefer- watching movies (etc) on 24 fps...23.976 to be exact.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  12. ImAlwaysWrong

ImAlwaysWrong Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I'm really confused. I'm taking pics with MSI Afterburner and they fail to show the difference that I see in game. you know how when you set the resolution to lower than your native you get some annoying jaggies around every corner, even texts? but when its on your native everything is smooth and clear. Now I have set DSR smoothness to 0% and I have put the resolution in game to 2560X1440 (my native is 1920X1080) but I get the same thing as putting my resolution to lower than my native.

Am I making a mistake in the way I take the pics? Is it because I have set DSR smoothness to 0%?

13. ImAlwaysWrong

ImAlwaysWrong Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I just tried the custom resolution method and it worked much better... wth?
    it looks like what I expected it to look like...
    but why doesn't DSR work the same way?

14. ImAlwaysWrong

ImAlwaysWrong Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    But the difference is still too small, I mean there is still lots of jagged edges... whats the best way to force anti aliasing in any game? I heard downsampling is the best way... is it?

15. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    I don't know why but if downsampling works better for you then keep it and forget everything about DSR. Forcing AA in new games that use DX11 is not possible,only solution is SweetFX 2 and for some only FXAA forced via Nvidia control panel (if game hasn't already FXAA or it's ingame settings AA sucks) .

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015

16. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Exactly it's big fail they need to sort it out, the thing is DSR works with SLI, Gsync works with SLI, but DSR + Gysnc and SLI doesn't work, seems more like a bug than anything else.

17. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Except the ROG swift isn't 4k :p

18. darkninjavn

darkninjavn Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gtx660
    DSR 10% smoothness + fxaa = awesome :banana:

19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Half Life-2 looks amazing at 4K DSR with 2x SGSSAA.

20. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    Hi,

Please would you share how I enable Sgssaa 2x for Hl2? I've downloaded Nvidia Inspector, tried to read through a guide but got a bit lost.

Thanks