New GTX 670 FTW Firmware - Made my PC unusable

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by SlackerITGuy, Apr 22, 2013.

1. SlackerITGuy

SlackerITGuy Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury
    So I was browsing around EVGA's forums, and I noticed that just last week they had released a new Firmware for their entire GTX 670 lineup, so I thought updating would be a good idea since the last one went over so smoothly.

Bad idea...

Terrible firmware update for me.

Flashed my card using the instructions given by EVGA, everything went smoothly, rebooted, played around ~1hr of BF3, closed BF3, started reading some emails, opened a Youtube video then all of the sudden... Boom! monitor went black, sound froze so it must have been a hard lock/BSOD/etc (I didn't get a picture of the error because for some reason when using the DVI-D port of my GTX 670 FTW [My BenQ monitor runs at 144Hz] I get no signal from Windows BSODs, my motherboard's POST Screen, etc, but that's a different issue).

Either way, I pressed the reset button, went into Windows, and right when I was searching for Event Viewer to see what went on, I got the same thing, screen went black, PC crashed again, etc, this went on for about 2 more reboots.

I powered off the PC completely after that, 6 hours later (GF came by my house so I couldn't perform more tests right away), I booted my PC, Windows message showed up saying that Windows didn't close correctly blah blah, clicked Ok or something that made me restart the computer, and then boom, screen went black again, this time with a No Signal message from my Monitor.

So right after that, I decided to try the iGPU from my 2500K to see if this was related to the GTX 670 or something else.

Enabled the iGPU in the UEFI, switched the DVI-D cable to the onboard DVI output, rebooted, and then Windows booted up perfectly, It's been running for over ~1hr without an issue, resolution is crap but that's because I don't have any Intel HD drivers installed.

So my question is: How do I fix this? will I have to downgrade to the previous Firmware? (I've never done this before so I would need all the help as possible), RMA the card? what are my options here?

Thanks in advanced fellas.

2. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    if u still ave the backed up firmware revert to it and see what happens

3. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    You'll need to flash your card with a working bios.

4. CSF90

CSF90 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabye GTX 980Ti OC
    Yeah, hopefully you made a backup of the original BIOS, and you'll just need to flash it back. If you didn't, you can probably find a copy on the internet - sorry I can't be more useful and give you a direct download link.

5. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Evga will provide you will a bios, just send support an email with your model number and they will email you the bios.

6. brendanvista

brendanvista Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Thank goodness for your integrated GPU. So, with your monitor still plugged into the integrated, and the 670 in your mobo, flash an older/different bios the same way you did the one that messed up your PC. You may be able to get the older bios from EVGA. Or, you can grab it from techpowerup's gpu bios database, here:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?page=1&architecture=NVIDIA&manufacturer=EVGA&model=GTX+670&interface=PCI-E&memSize=0

Just pick an older one with the correct FTW clocks.

7. DAWG1

DAWG1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670 sli
    Slacker, can you post link to that firmware update? I looked all over evga's site and didn't see it.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  9. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I just updated mine without problems.

10. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Is it worth it?

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    was there a specific reason you updated the firmware? or did you just see a new one and thought you should update it?

12. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It seems that the new bios improved my O/C a bit..

13. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Well that interests me because I can only do 1189 MHz even if temperatures stays around 70C. Once it reaches 1200Mhz, it craps the hell out.

14. DAWG1

DAWG1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670 sli
    I'm interested too. I have one card that is oc'd to 1254 and +450 on memory. My other card is at 1215 and +450 even though settings are synced in AB. Cards have consecutive serial numbers also. Maybe this will fix the oc difference between the two. What are y'alls thoughts?

And thanks TK for the link.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

You should never update firmware on hardware if everything is working fine, if there is something wrong sure, but not if everything is working fine, Firmware update are not ment to be done frequently like updating software for reason.

16. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I decided to flash mine as well. I'll report after some usage.

17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    its been nice knowing you :p

18. Wanny

Wanny Guest

It's okay so far. But it does mess with power usage more.

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    well maybe you can OC higher now ? would be great

20. Wanny

Wanny Guest

That's what I want to figure out. I know that I couldn't do 1202Mhz core no matter what so let's see if it can stay stable at it for now.