Help with flashing GTX 560 Ti BIOS?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AmGuru, Nov 26, 2014.

1. AmGuru

AmGuru Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 2GB
    Hello guys,
    I'm new to this forum and new to the whole idea of flashing as well.
    I have read few articles around the net about flashing a GPU but I have never done it myself.
    I have a Zotac GTX 560 Ti 2GB GPU and by default its fan speed is limited to 70%.
    As a result while gaming my temps easily reach 104 C.
    So I have decided to flash the BIOS (even though it scares me to death) and raise the limit to 100%
    I would be grateful if someone could verify if the steps that I'm taking are correct:

1) Made a backup copy of Stock BIOS using GPUz and saved it as ROM file.

2) Used NiBiTor v6.06 to open the Stock BIOS and changed the fan threshold to 100% max and 30% min and saved it.

3) Use ZOTAC FIRESTORM to flash this edited BIOS and then restart.

BIG DOUBT: Is using Zotac Firestorm safe for flashing BIOS? Has anyone tried using it before?

2. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    If things are working properly, there's no way a 560ti should be reaching those kind of temperatures. Unless you are seriously overclocking it?

The high temperatures could be caused by a number of things, dust buildup in the GPU cooler, GPU cooler not making good contact with the GPU or insufficient ventilation in your case.

You could increase the fan speed to 100% but a) it will be extremely noisy and b) it wont actually fix the underlying problem.

3. AmGuru

AmGuru Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 2GB
    I have not overclocked my GPU. Infact I have had to underclock it to counter this problem. From stock 822 Mhz, I have underclocked it to 750mhz. It does reduce the temps by a tiny bit but it still runs at around 100-101 C.

I cleaned my GPU of all the dust just few hours back.

I did not undesrtand what you meany by 'GPU cooler not making good contact'

I'm fine with the noise. Do you have any other suggestions to reduce the temps?
    If not I'm I flashing the BIOS right?

Thank you for the reply.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Sounds like you got serious cooling issues. An underclocked 560ti should never get that high a temp. Dust in the cooler and or very bad case airflow. I do not recommend bios flashing unless you have a backup card when something goes wrong. If you do not have a backup you will have an unusable pc.

5. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Have you actually checked inside the GPU cooler for dust? I mean taken the cooler apart and cleaned it?

By not making good contact, I mean the heatsink that sits on the GPU processor might not actually be completely in contact with the processor. It's possible that the thermal paste has dried up and might need to be re-applied.

How long have you had this GPU? Have you seen an increase in temperatures gradually over time or have the high temperatures started occurring suddenly?

6. AmGuru

AmGuru Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 2GB
    I do have a old Nvidia 8400GS. And I have only changed the fan speed threshold in the BIOS.
    Are such minor changes still as dangerous as changing the voltage or clocks?

7. AmGuru

AmGuru Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 2GB
    No I have not taken the card apart to clean. I have dusted the GPU and cleaned off the dust from the fan blades.
    The thermal compound could be the cause. How difficult is the whole process?
    Wouldn't a simple fan speed increase solve the issue?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  8. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    If you are reasonably used to working on such things and careful, it's not too hard.

A fan increase may help, you might get it down to 90C but you wont have actually fixed the problem, whatever it might be.

9. AmGuru

AmGuru Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 2GB
    OK.
    But what do you think about my flashing method.
    Am I doing things correctly?
    Or have I missed any step?

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    If you are just flashing 100% fanspeed you should be ok to use firestorm to flash your card. 100% fanspeed will not fix your problem but make it less severe. I would take a can of air to that card it is probably caked with dust.