SSD HELP Please

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Stage1455, Mar 18, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Stage1455

Stage1455 Member

GPU:
    MSI 5770 Radeon Hawk HD
    Good Morning,

I am requesting some information about Solid State Disks. I have 2 OCZ Vertex Turbo 120gb with Win7 64bit and a Spare Crucial m225 256gb. Now I am not knowledgeable in a lot of areas. I don’t like the idea of having to make sure whatever I download or load via PC does not go on my OS SSD. SO my question is there a way to possibly combine the two together in sort of raid. I saw soething about spanning in disk manamgent but it says i cant combine the two if one has OS on it???

I would like to get another SSd should is get a 120 OCZ and stripe it with OS ot get another Crucial 256 and stripe that one. If I stripe can I still combine the drives.

OR what should be best way to have these two and possibly a third set up

Question 2) I have another PC old BOX HP I would like to put WIN7 64bit If I copy from the USER folder I should get everything correct and then I could just load the cd in my new system if I need files?

Thank you

2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    For the first question, if you have the 790FX GD70, plug the SSDs into the two blue ports on the face of the motherboard. This offers hardware RAID. That's as far as I can take you on the setup of it though as I haven't used it yet. Then just set up the third as a third hard drive. You'll want the RAIDed two to be the same size and preferably the same model.

Yeah, if you copy the USER folder you'll get most of your documents and whatnot. If you need to copy program files those will be in the program files folder obviously.

Some stuff may be in hidden folders also, and the user folder won't copy directly to windows 7, you'll have to sort out some stuff and put them in the correct places.

3. Stage1455

Stage1455 Member

GPU:
    MSI 5770 Radeon Hawk HD
    IPN,
    THanks for the info. I can not set up the two currenlty as raid as one is 120gb the other is 256gb One is faster vertex turbo the other is fast but not as the OCZ its a Crucial. M25 256gb. I have another 256gb Crucial enroute should have by Firday. SO do you think i should Raid stripe the 256gb in the blue ports and just keep the faster OCZ as a storage.

Is Spanning the same as RAID JOBD? In the console for disk managment it has options for striping and spanning, Would it be so bad to JOBD or span all 3 ssd for a total of 632gb SSD's. What are your thoughts.

Thanks again