High-End PCs Will See "Resurgence" in 2016, Valve Rep Says

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by sammarbella, Jan 1, 2016.

1. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/high-end-pcs-will-see-resurgence-in-2016-valve-rep/1100-6433437/

Maybe the VR GPU needs can switch a lot of gamers from consoles (who can't upgrade) toward PCs as the leading gaming platform.

?¿?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    No they won't. Not with consoles developing their own VR solution.

3. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    VR no thanks regardless of system PC or Console....

4. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Consoles with VR

3fps VR cinematic VR experience

Or

30 fps VR with ps2 graphics and antialiasing

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    But...

What kind of "VR"?

Consoles have not enough powa to provide VR, same for phones in card boxes. :)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ee-11e5-b281-43c0b56f61fa-20151230-story.html

90 frames per second per eye (two images) with at least full HD per eye (1920x1080).

PS4 can barely provide 30 FPS in 1920x1080....for a single image.

Xbox one....30 fps at 900p.

LOL

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ee-11e5-b281-43c0b56f61fa-20151230-story.html

6. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    VR is not such a huge thing as they want us to think, but lets remember VR doesn't necessarily mean photorealistic gaming, it can be minecraft mobile or something, I'm sure that alone would beat whatever numbers the pc community can achieve

what I'm really interested in is watching how gaming will change, since I'm expecting phones this time around to beat consoles in raw power sooner than the last generation did, when that happens the whole market will change, imagine this: people upgrade phones every year or 2, means more horsepower for games each 2 years at least, we will finally be free from console ports

7. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    And you get phone ports instead, lol. :infinity:

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Phone ports from console ports, going from bad to worst.

:3eyes:

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Holodeck tech or i dont care hah

10. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    VR is not ready for mainstream, it will take good amount of time till it will be.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It might die a slow death like 3D TVs.

12. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    yeah though i hope not, but if 3D was any indication, it will die and 4k will live long. but till 4k be ready it's another story....

13. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    nooo. i love my LG 3D TV :D

14. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    This.

VR games will, just like current games, only be made for the hardware that is in the consoles. PC will be lucky to get anything other than slightly better AA solutions and higher textures, no diff to get we get now.

This is the VR equivalent of how the pc community thought because the current gen consoles are x86, it would mean better ports. Look how that went.

Besides, this is coming from Valve, the same company that thought their prebuilt Steam boxes were going to get PCs back to the masses. lol. They cant even get their controller out the door.

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    That's what everyone says every decade. It can happen in a flash like smartphones suddenly being a standard, going from completely niche to something most people in first class countries have. Yes I know the demand isn't exactly the same since it doesn't bring the same thing as going from a dumbphone to a smartphone did. But VR could still easily take off if it met the "no **** Sherlock" requirements:
    1 - The hardware and software both need to be readily available
    2 - The price has to be reasonable
    3 - There has to be a worthwhile library of software
    4 - It can't have a plethora of usability issues, it has to be relatively seamless

These requirements were never met in the past. The day you can buy a $200 VR system or a mainstream console that has VR (which doesn't have a bunch of annoying usability issues) is the day it'll become standard.

16. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hardware that goes mainstream 9/10 comes out of nowhere and takes the world by storm (Smartphones, tablets) and sticks around as it goes through constant improvement. This sort of tech isnt a fad and it doesn't need to prove itself to consumers as long as specs and features are added with each iteration.

VR and 3d however, are constantly trying to shoehorn themselves into the mainstream (almost to the point that its annoying) but time and time again it fails.

17. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Very few people actually care about VR, let alone 3D. that can put many companies VR project to halt, i don't know anyone who cares about VR.

It never hit the world by storm, people heard about it but does not show any further interset... but i hope it can be changed, as the mighty Galaxy Note 5 and S6 series can run Samsung gear VR and it amazing.

18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Personally I'm not interested in VR. Neither I was in 3D. I will live well without both, and the 'resurgance' is a nice idea until it meets the problems we already see, lacking driver quality (won't get better with another component like VR messing around too), lacking hardware support from the devs, and most of all, declining game quality in both gameplay and originality. What's a 3k€ machine worth if you don't even want to play the games they offer, and you're not interested in VR? :)

19. GreenAlien

GreenAlien Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 OC
    Prices need to go down. Most people cant afford a high end computer and expensive VR. Nvidia, how about tripling performance next generation and halving the price for your high end chips. Then I'm sure your prediction will work out.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Idk, I didn't care much about VR either -- and I really dislike 3D. But then I got a DK2 and I realized how wrong I was. I don't think the first iteration of the Oculus/Vive are going to really impress hardcore PC gamers. I think they need significantly higher resolutions, on the order of 8/16K. But the experience is definitely there. Everyone that tries games on my DK2 wants one and asks me where they can get one, even non-gamers. I definitely think its' going to have a major impact, even if the enthusiast community doesn't like it.

I disagree. I think game quality has increased, just not in AAA titles. People tend to flock to what the big studios are releasing and end up disappointed. But there were a lot of great indie games that came out this year and last year, mostly due to steam and new content delivery platforms. Rocket league probably being the biggest one. You're not going to find extremely creative and out of the box ideas in games with $100M budgets. Those studios won't risk the money.

And I think things are only going to get better going forward with the recent pricing changes from engines like UE4/Unity/Cryengine -- more indie studios are going to pop up and use that to their advantage.