Should I upgrade my rig?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by xcom, Nov 15, 2016.

1. xcom

xcom Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Hello gurus,

Having my profile's setup, do you think I will notice a real improvement on my fps in games if I update my mobo/cpu/ram (and if you really think it worth it)? I'm playing at 1440

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Do you feel like you should upgrade? What games are you playing on your system and how are they running?

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If you have only 6GB of memory, it might be suboptimal with AAA titles. However, it's always a bother to invest any money on an ancient system as you can't oft reuse the components in the next machine. That being said, you are also missing USB3, SATA3, M.2, and other such modern necessities.

If I were you, I'd wait until AMD has released Zen in any case. Even if you weren't interested in AMD, who knows, if Zen is a success, Intel might lower prices a bit in response.

4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I would as above at least upgrade RAM to 16GB or 24GB, RAM prices fallen down and right now are pretty much much low

And regarding the CPU, please have look on Xeon X5670 which right now cost from £56 and 980x cost from £160 and difference between those two chips is not so big in OC,have run X5670 OC up to 4.2-4.4GHz and no issues cooling this chip on air with Thermalright HR02 "Macho"

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

5. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    this^^^ without a doubt , why waste on ddr3?

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I too came from an i7 920 @ 3.7GHz and 6GB RAM and yes it was a noticeable improvement in fallout 4 and ROTR with the same graphics card between the two systems (GTX 780). I play at 1080p though. You might wait for that new AMD CPU and see if you can get a good deal.