Overclocking 2 x 980gx2's

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by cgcox, Dec 28, 2008.

1. cgcox

cgcox Member

GPU:
    2 x EVGA 9800gx2 SSC 1024
    Ok i may be being a dumb arse but i have looked and looked but i cannot see how to overclock GPUs 1,2 and 3. I have overclocked GPU 0 quite easily using the driver level controls, but when i go to the same section for the other 3 GPUs i need to 'enable driver level hardware overclocking' at which point the options are to detect the default clocks or reboot. Neither of these of these choices brings up the overclocking details that are available for GPU 0.

Anybody got any experience or advice on this.

Cheers.

2. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    As I recall, overclocking the primary GPU will overclock them all.

3. cgcox

cgcox Member

GPU:
    Gpu-z

I would have hoped, but unfortunatly GPU-Z and my Stanford folding speed say otherwise.

4. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    What does the RT hardware monitor show while a 3D API (app) is running? Do you use RT's OSD to see what the clock speeds are doing? You need an application requiring the 3D clock speeds to really show what's going on and RT's OSD running.

5. cgcox

cgcox Member

GPU:
    I presume the OSD is the hardware monitor. I have this running and its show the GPU0 running at overclocked speeds and the other three at standard speeds. I have running 3 GPU clients of standford's folding project running.

I don't think its an issue with 2d/3d clock speeds, just i can't see how to change the clocks of GPU's 1 to 3.

thanks for the replies though i appreciate your thoughts.

6. cgcox

cgcox Member

GPU:
    Anyone

Does any one else have any thoughts on how to do this?

7. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    maybe try the cloning option in poweruser....if you can handle it?

8. cgcox

cgcox Member

GPU:
    I can handle it, if i can find it!

9. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    you sure?
    [​IMG]
    idk if it will work thuo since i never had two gx2's

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  10. cgcox

cgcox Member

GPU:
    thanks but still no go.

Cheers for the info. Unfortunatly that still did'nt work. I wonder if it has anything to do with me only having one monitor attached, or that i am using XP x64. The one with the monitor attached is the one i can overclock.

Any more ideas most welcome.

11. cgcox

cgcox Member

GPU:
    Vista better.

I have had a go at this on a friends machine, he has the same setup, but has vista x64 and two monitors. Strangely, or not, i can get the option to overclock three of his four GPUs. Not all four but its better than my one.

Not sure if this sheds any further light on the problem.

12. cgcox

cgcox Member

GPU:
    Problem solved

Okay. Good news, i have found the answer to this problem. You have to 'extended desktop' in display properties over all four 'monitors' for each of the four GPUs, even if those monitors are'nt attached and are just the 'default monitor'. Then Rivatuner will happily give you the overclocking options for all four GPUs.

GPU-Z shows all the GPU clocks as i set them and the GPUs are folding at the expected rate.

13. Andy9999

Andy9999 New Member

GPU:
    POV 8800GTX
    Lol

This is probably the same problem I had here http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=279972

Unfortunately this thread was closed by Mr. Sidewinder :biggun:, claiming there is working workarounds. This was, however, not mentioned nowhere yet. Great work!!!

Here is another working workaround just in case:
    1. Download NVidia NTune and install it

2. Within NTune go to the device settings. This should show the Profile menu. Select Profile -> Save. Specify a path, e.g. save it to your desktop.

3. Open the file with notepad

4. Remove anything tweaking with the mainboard! Here is my underclocking file for example purposes:
    [BoardConfiguration]
    Version=200
    CPU=6fb
    MCP=1109
    SPP=2576
    GPU=NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

[ClockSettings]
    GPUCOREMHZ0=144
    GPUMEMMHZ0=225
    GPUSHADERMHZ0=337
    GPUCOREMHZ1=144
    GPUMEMMHZ1=225
    GPUSHADERMHZ1=337

5. Create another file doing normal clockspeed and one with overclocking if you like so

6. Doubleclicking any of those files will 100% reliably set the clock speed to whatever you like! Workz!!!!

You can place a shortcut to this file in your autostart group.

I have removed any other things except the GPU settings because NTune will write the settings of that file to CMOS regardless of whatever settings
    you have set within the bios and attempt to apply those new settings at runtime. Had a lot of lockups because it could not reliably switch my CPU and FronSSide Bus clockspeed at runtime. It could possibly work if you do all the settings within the NSU file and never touch the bios settings. For now I use it for GPU clockspeed only in combination with profiles defined in the bios for CPU/FSB speed.

Maybe I will become an NVidia fanboy one day - LOL

Andy

14. cgcox

cgcox Member

GPU:
    Vista

Cheers for the info Andy.

My way seems to be happily working away in XP, but get the feeling i would need some dummy monitor plugs for it to work in Vista.

15. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

That thread was closed due to your posting with "f%ck" language there. This one will be closed too if you'll continue distorting nicknames purposely.

16. cgcox

cgcox Member

GPU:
    Save

Maybe you could delete the post but not the thread. Others may find the thread useful now i have found a solution.