SSd drives are crap??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sublime20, Dec 12, 2011.

1. sublime20

sublime20 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    I just went to best buy looking to purchase an SSD because i heard they are supremely faster than its mechanical predecessors (SATA and IDE)... and i heard some rather shockin news from an employee who worked the PC hardware department......

he said you might just want to stick to SATA and just getting a bigger sized drive.. and he specifically told me that if i were to get an SSD solution it would NNOT be wise... he said they fail rather quickly and its rediculously pricey to replace em.. he went on and on about this specific claim and i just asked him why they go bad... he said alot of different things... bad sectors, overheating...

I really want to know the truth because i plan on getting new hardware for the holidays and a solid state drive was one of the main things on my list.

i dont put all my trust into one best buy employee, but he did discourage me on purchasing an SSD (i mean if one shall fail, he is right about the fact that they arent cheap to replace).. should i stay away from SSDs?

2. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    here is where the fail started sir.

3. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  4. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    just read online reviews like newegg and tigerdirect and you can see how many ppl think there crap i went threw 2 in 6 months wast of money

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    In MY experience BestBuy employees have no training what so ever. Most of them are either still in high school or right out of high school. I've had BestBuy employees go so far as to tell me that an 8500GT "Fatal1ty" is faster than an 8800GT.... Also had one tell me that a single HD5770 is faster than HD4850 Crossfire. From MY experience with BestBuy employees....you're better off asking a cashier at Wal-Mart for PC advice....

And I went through 5 Maxtor harddrives in a single business day....

6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Mechanical hard drives fail because the mechanical bits in them fail, remove the mechanical bits and their is nothing left to fail.

Most people will suffer SSD failures due to the same issues that cause RAM failures.

a). Manufacturer defect
    b). ESD discharge or some other user related stupidity
    c). Firm ware brick

My SSD is faster than my pair of Raid 0 Samsung F3s, and it's been running without issue now for 6 months, to put that in perspective I went through one F3 and two Maxtor drives in a year.

Are they a waste of money?

Subjective, whilst I say my SSD is faster than my Raid 0 Samsungs it isn't THAT much faster and in day to day stuff you would probably never notice the speed difference. Two Samsung F3s is cheaper than my SSD and gives me 2Tb vs 128Gb and with 2 HDs I increase the risk of failure and data lose two fold.

If you have the room in your case and the time to route the cables, install the Raid drivers and set up the array it is cheaper, almost as fast (at least on Sata 2) and gives a hell of a lot more storage, just remember that you also double the risk of failure. If you are limited for space, hate noise and want speed and don't mind splashing the cash get an SSD.

7. mykledw

mykledw Guest

GPU:
    MSi RTX GT 2080
    I cry bull **** on anyone in a retail store to give ANYONE any advice on what the should or should not buy...........

Do your homework and then just make your purchase from the box store......

SSD is the bomb...........yes, I have a thread that said that mine was DOA but the box was wet and smelled like salt water...........

I am now on the same RMA SSD and let me tell you that the best buy "sales associate" is a Fricken idiot...............

10 seconds from power on to a usable icon with a password insert as well is the schniz...............

Buy what you can afford, I only went with 60Gig for a tryout and I plan on a second for X-mas now that I know I'm good ( was not aware that a MOBO as old as mine can do SATA 6 )

Go for it and don't look back.............I wont!!

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'd suggest taking any reviews on newegg or tigerdirect with a grain of salt as customers that experience product failures are far more likely to post a review, than those who's experience is "flawless"....some people are also more prone to exaggerate their experience...

Mechanical harddrives fail for those reasons as well....

9. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    You should backup all important files no matter what kind of drive you have. You can even buy a 16GB flash drive for around $20 for various purposes including backing things up. I back things up on a 2nd HDD and on a flash drive. The chances of all 3 failing at once are astronomical.

Failures can and do happen on any type of mass storage device. It seems to me that Fujitsu HDDs fail more often than other brands, but that's just my experience.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    He is probably correct, they do get damaged when "he" sets up an SSD.
    Best advice is to not let him set it up and never ask him anything again lol.

SSDs have a warranty.
    If it lasts the length of time of the warranty without issue, it is very unlikely to have a manufacturing defect, so should last a long time.

11. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    This

and this

Yes they are (still) expensive but also yes they are insanely fast
    (at least the latest from 2011)

Just dont expect more from an SSD than its job

(that said, some ppl actually think they will insanely improve the fps of a game and/or do other wonders to your PC)

I have one, and i can say this, my desktop pc will never again have one regular HDD as system drive
    And as a mass storage drive? anything will do as long it doesnt die on me

12. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    hahaha the op said the employee said overheating ...... ssd dont gernerate heat. Need i say more.

13. mykledw

mykledw Guest

GPU:
    MSi RTX GT 2080
    qftt

14. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    They do. My flash drives do a little if I use them for an extended period of time. Anything that has an electrical current passing through it will heat up. But overheating SSDs? Most certainly not.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'm a new SSD user, had mine for about a month. I can easily say it's one of the best upgrades I've ever made. booting to windows is so quick. launching my apps from it is a lot faster as well. I was using my brothers PC in the last 2 weeks, with a SATA drive. I felt like I was back in the 80's. Everything was taking forever.

I can only recommend getting a SSD. there's nothing worse than having a nice quad or more cpu, lots of ram, good gpu in your case just to hold it all back with a slow mechanical drive. I only have a 64gb drive, for OS and all my apps. games are installed on my mechanical drive. but the snappiness of every day tasks is immense.

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Lol. best buy employee. i would go along with him and at the end tell him hes a dumba$$. anyways, ive had a total of 4 ssds. none of them gave me any problems ever.

17. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    me? naa, im just surrounded at work by idiots -.-

My only regret tough, i didnt buy 2x 64Gb SSD for the same price of one 128gb SSD and raid 0 them for ubber read speeds

18. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Raid is all but pointless with SSD's. Maybe if you encode video the absurd speeds would be helpful, but with general Windows performance you won't notice a difference at all.

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yeah you do, have you tried it before?

20. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    Well, not exactly true

2x 64gb Crucial M4's raid 0
    [​IMG]

versus

1x 64gb Crucial M4
    [​IMG]

Well its true that opening small programs wont make a diference, but loading games, for example, ppl will see some improvements.
    The write speed of one 128gb crucial M4 its nearly the same of 2x64gb M4's in raid0, but the read speed doubles, its great for loading games and big apps.

Anyways just saying that i could had bought 2x64gb for same the price of one 128gb and get some extra performance. Most ppl wont really care about that but im a sucker for reading speeds :)

P.S.: Stay away from SSD's if your mobo doesnt have sata3(6gb/s) ports.. sata2(3Gb/s) ports will bottleneck them hard.