gpu issue

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by i7GTX550Ti8Gb, May 26, 2013.

1. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Guest

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB
    Hi all, been a while,

ive started forling a bit again, installed the latest verison, got a cuda_...dll error, can't find the FAH11 core either. SO decided to switch to standardf client for cpu, (no smp anymore?)
    and gpu separately. don't like it this way, seems messy, u guys got any ideas?

i can't find info, and the info i found couldn't help me neither with the core issue nor the cuda dll file that seems to be misseing.

ANy hlp woul d be great, but i like it to get into 1 FAH controlled program.

greetz,

Me

2. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    have you tried re-installing both driver and V7?

3. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Guest

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB
    Driver updated yesterday new nvidia driver, and version 7 uninstalled, regclean, cclean, reboot, regclean again.

Still same prob. really weird.

Me

FAH core 11 and the dll missing, that's the weirdest of it all, since it's an install package..

Still checking forums, but no succes till now.

good thing is with the separate gpu version, i can throttle the card to 85% or so, so less heat, less noise :)

but still, i'd like a better solution

4. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Assuming that the GPU is GTX 550 Ti, the one in your signature, you should not be getting FahCore_11 WUs, you should be getting FahCore_15 WUs. Since you have done a fresh installation of the V7 client (I hope you selected the option to delete the data during uninstallation) and did a fresh/clean driver installation, it might be a GPU Whitelist issue. Could you please post the initial section of the FAH log here (or at the official forum under the GPUs Whitelist Forum) so we can see what the V7 is detecting on your system and see if we can help you figure it out.

5. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Guest

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB
    u not gonna believe this, i just added the gpu slot, to get the dll file missing error, in the log file, and now it works.

But i found another isue, seems PC won't go to sleep, could it be that it just takes a long time to dump the memory tothe disk? or should i change the setting to off before attempting sleep mode? it's a non dedicated machine.

ANd yes the spedcs are in the sig :) NOt that bad of a rig i guess :)

6. iancook221188

GPU:
    the system is not idling so won't going to sleep mode

7. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Guest

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB
    another rather weird question, i've noticed in the version7, i can't have the smp option, should i get back to the 6.23 beta version for that? or another one? not the type of guy that wants max points, but they are free :)

8. iancook221188

GPU:
    not sure what you mean buy " i can't have the smp option" but you can fold on both gpu and cpu though V7

9. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Regarding the system hibernating, I would suggest that you pause the Slots and than hibernate the system. The reason is that while the CPU WUs can detect the system hibernation and save itself, the GPU WUs can't (I believe its an OS/driver limitation) so they get dumped. Thus if you pause the Slots, you can hibernate the system and you won't loose any WUs.

In v6.X, there was SMP (Uses X CPUs) and UNI (uses 1 CPU). In V7.1.52 to V7.2.9, you had two CPU Slots:
    SMP -> Uses X CPUs
    UNI -> Uses 1 CPU

However, from V7.3.X onwards, we have merged both CPU types into a single Slot and the number of CPUs used by that slot is now used to assign either UNI or SMP WUs. That makes it easy for donors to understand without requiring in depth information on how F@H works:
    CPU:1 -> This is same as UNI
    CPU:2 or higher -> This is same as SMP

Hopefully, you have understood this now.

10. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Guest

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB
    ok, got it in my brain now, brain will fry if older age comes bzz bzz :)

SO i just setup a gpu slot, but can't throttle that one down, to get the fan lowered, and i assig 4 out of 8 cores. so automatically smp.

TY alot for the info, hope all goes well now, and that i don't need to spin my head around 360° to get all back in place :)-

Ty

so then the bonus stuff from smp before is no longer applicable?

sry last q :)

Last edited: May 28, 2013

11. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    The bonus points is tied to the username/passkey combination. Thus, if you are qualified, you are going to get the bonus points on all bonus Projects (CPU or GPU) across any operating system. Just make sure that the username and passkey are correctly entered and you are good as gold :D