1080ti - Voltage Control part 2

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Bestofbritish96, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Bestofbritish96

Bestofbritish96 Guest

GPU:
    x3 XFX 7970
    Hi Unwinder,

Just an update from me as an early adopter of the 1080ti, to offer some feedback on the oem2 tweaks offered.

I have tried GPU Tweak, PX XOC and Afterburner. No dice with all 3 with regards to voltage control on my EVGA 1080ti FE and Windows 10 install.

I offer the following screenshots of Afterburner and config, I don't know if its simply my configuration but the OEM2 settings offered do not appear to work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Afterburner appears to see the card as a 1080ti, it allows clock control for GPU, VRAM plus working power target. The voltage control remains greyed out.

If I follow the instructions to enable the voltage control by adding a new OEM2 config line the slider is greyed out. If i add some '???????' into the config line the voltage control slider does then appear however, just like GPU Tweak and PX XOC, the voltage setting appears to have no effect.

Thanks.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Guys, I DON'T need a feedback on that. And that does work, if you do everything properly, add proper entry to third party database and UNDERSTAND what to expect. Please, stop constantly asking me to comment instuctions in Hilbert's article and better learn what "GPU voltage" slider is supposed to do on GPU boost 3.0 cards.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I have to check again home (using 3rd party for Strix 980s), but isn't there another "3rd party" option in the dropdown menu that you can choose, 3rd party 2 or something?

4. Unwinder

No, there is no another "3rd party" available for selection in dropdown menu. And if voltage control % slider is getting unlocked, it means that card is properly added to database and third patry voltage control mode is correctly selected by user. Understanding of Pascal voltage % adjustment scale is a different story, it can be rather confusing for those who never used NVIDIA Pascal GPU before, but the principles are explained in the link above.

5. Bestofbritish96

Bestofbritish96 Guest

GPU:
    x3 XFX 7970
    thanks for the advice.

I can only conclude that in my particular configuration, if the voltage adjustment is working as expected when I comment out the end of the configuration line using '????????' (assuming that this does indeed fix the problem - I can't appear to detect a boost the voltage but I will go back to the test bench with it) then it is possible that the instructions given in the Guru3d review do not work in all configurations with the FE card and you may want to try what I did in order to get the voltage slider working.

6. Unwinder

The instructions are not intended to be "how-to" guide for everyone, they are not intended to be used by anyone with no third party database editing/modification experience, Hilbert just show what he did to get it on his side and how can it be done by experienced user familiar with third party db editing approach.
    Of course proper subsystem ID should be added and there is more than detailed thread on third party databse editing here discussing it at deep level.

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Bestofbritish96,

In AB click on the information button cross-match the VEN, DEV and SUBSYS info, play around with that, it shouldn't be that hard.

[​IMG]

8. Bestofbritish96

Bestofbritish96 Guest

GPU:
    x3 XFX 7970
    Hilbert, thankyou for taking time to reply.

I can confirm that your revised instructions work and voltage control is operational, at least on my rig :)

9. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks so much Hilbert!! Got my Asus Rog Strix up and working with voltage monitoring/control!

For anyone interested added this to the .oem2 file:

[VEN_10DE&DEV_1B06&SUBSYS_85E41043&REV_??]

; ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OC Gaming
    Desc = Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC Gaming
    VDDC_Generic_Detection = 1

10. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    @ Hilbert.
    I just installed my MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 ti. I can't seem to make the voltage control work with the above instructions. Is it because it's not a 3rd party card? Maybe I'm doing something wrong? How did you get voltage control to work when you did your review of this card?

Nevermind. I missed a step and got it working now.

This is what I entered.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ; Custom design MSI GAMING X NVIDIA series
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

[VEN_10DE&DEV_1B06&SUBSYS_36021462&REV_??]

; MSI GAMING X GTX 1080 Ti OC Gaming
    Desc = MSI GAMING X GTX 1080 Ti OC Gaming
    VDDC_Generic_Detection = 1

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017