Help me improve my modelshoots...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by MrDre, Feb 25, 2015.

1. MrDre

MrDre Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX570
    Hi guys! I started this new topic so I dont clutter up the "I'm proud if this picture..." with discussions about my shots.

I started to do model photography recently. I always had an interest for this, but waited with actually doing some. I did do a couple of shoots with a friend of mine, but this was with my old D90 and it wasnt too serious.
    Since then I have upgraded to a D7000 and last sunday had my first ever modelshoot.
    It was a meeting with several photographers and models (and hair/make-up artists). I already learned a great deal from this, but now I want to ask you guys for some more tips. All critique is welcome. What would you have done differently in editing/shooting. And please share your examples!

Also tell me what I did right, so I can do it again ;)

My equipment: Nikon D7000, Nikkor 17-55mm 2.8, Nikkor 85mm af-s 1.8g, Tamron vc 70-300mm 4.0/5.6 usd, Nikkor 40mm 1.8 macro. Nikon SB-700 speedlight.

Here are 3 shots I took. There are alot more, but i'll post them later.

bbalfreak already had some good points about this photo so I removed an imperfection on her leftside face and brightend up the shadows on that side...
    [​IMG]Fotomeeting Groningen by Dre @ PhotoDream, on Flickr

2. uberdruid

uberdruid Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 7900
    Like I said. I would make a portrait style crop of the B&W one (just make a copy), removing the window. This would really emphasis the model.

Compare it and see which one you prefer.

3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I like all pictures, not perfect but nice and sharp. Great work!

Here is what the portrait black & white picture should of looked like to make it perfect:

[​IMG]

4. MrDre

MrDre Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX570

Awesome guys! Thanks for the feedback.

5. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I do like B&W but find the heavy shadow on this one a little distracting.

6. uberdruid

uberdruid Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 7900
    Yep - really draws you in.

7. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    Black and white is too harsh, as is the light.

The other too, the skin tone is completely wrong. You could do wonders for the first girl, her left cheek looks as if she has a rash.
    The second girls skin is too yellow at some parts, natural elsewhere and etc. Reflection from her hair is doing this, as something else is also probably influencing that.
    Some people like to leave the skin "natural" because that's how she might look IRL, but that's my two cents. Nothing wrong with fixing something that is 90% affected by the lighting/surrounding.

8. endojoo

endojoo Guest

Yes, you are right. It looks very good !

9. JasmineJas

JasmineJas Guest

GPU:
    64-bit
    Great article with lots of information. One is not right though: TFP means Time For Prints, not Trade For Prints.