Is it possible to convert oculus to 3dvision output?

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by moverweel, Jun 25, 2014.

1. moverweel

moverweel Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 570
    Hi,

I've been toying a bit with 3d vision lately and ordered a head tracking device to improve the experience a bit further.

Now looking for apps and games (or demos) supporting VR.

Problem is, most free stuff supporting both VR AND head-tracking is focused on the Oculus Rift.

Since that device requires the application or game to render two images side-by-side instead of letting the driver handle the stereoscopic 'conversion', these apps are not compatible with 3d vision.

The result is that 3d vision kicks in, but it adds depth to the already twin-eyed output of that application.

Sadly enough, most of these apps don't even have support for anything other than side-by-side view. Not even normal non stereoscopic 3d!

Is there some tool or anything that can make these apps compatible with 3d vision?

(I can imagine it could be possible to grab each frame of the output image send to the gfx card, split the left and right half and output them alternating like 3d vision is supposed to do. But maybe it's more complicated than I think.)

2. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    I dont understand why you would want to do this? Oculus output is prewarped so that when looking through the lenses the image looks normal, even if you got what youre asking for to work the image would look terrible due to the warping. Obviously it looks ok on youtube videos but youre only seeing 50% of how bad it is because of the stereo image shown.

Im pretty sure you could do what you want if you can disable the oculus warping and stereo effect and just use Tridef to generate the stereo image.

I dont have a 3D monitor and i dont know which demos youre trying, but i have a rift.

The other things is if you apply head tracking like track IR to a 3D monitor wont you be looking at it suboptimally to see the 3D effect? i mean headtracking is great for 3 monitor setups not so good with just 1.

A game doesnt need to support VR and headtracking for what you want though, what you want is SBS working in 3DVision with no warping and for the game to support head tracking. Pretty sure you could play nearly all games that support trackir with tridef( i know most DX9 games are supported not sure how many DX11 and you can get a trial of tridef ). If youre tracking device isint trackir just use opentrack.

3. moverweel

moverweel Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 570
    I was thinking the same until I tried it myself at a friend's setup. He mostly used it for flight simulators but the effect is great. Have to get used to it a little though. It is a bit awkward when you want to rotate 180 degrees but setting it to a lower range just to be able to look around in the cockpit is awesome.

About the warping, don't know if I am allowed to link here, google "Greebles Oculus Rift version" for example. The site clearly shows warped images, but if you run it, it's simply a full screen side-by-side display.

Yeah, that's the problem. "nearly all games that support trackir" isn't so much if you exclude everything build for oculus ;)

I think however I was wrong about one thing. I thought everything build for oculus use would automatically include head tracking, but this seems not the case.

Oh well.. going to experiment a bit more, I'm pretty new to all this.

Thanks for your reply!