G-Sync + Fast-Sync

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by cryohellinc, Nov 7, 2016.

1. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Hello guys,

Previously owning PG278q, usually all i did was disable Fast-Sync, cap fps at around 143.3fps, and use Gsync constantly. However now moving to a 100hz monitor, question arises.

Gsync works below your screen refresh rate, so e.g. 100hz screen, gsync will work only up to 100fps. After that you can experience tearing.

My questions is the following, Fast-sync works at all times, regardless of fps,
    if i use both Gsync and Fastsync, will Gsync work up to 100 fps, and then Fastsync kick in above that, or will they both run constantly, resulting in adding up the input lag latency from both?

Could someone clarify that please. Thank you! :nerd:

p.s.
    Found my answers in the following amazing video - https://youtu.be/L07t_mY2LEU

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  2. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Fast Sync, when your FPS is below your refresh rate, is basically VSync. Given that turning VSync on when G-Sync is enabled, in the drivers, since a few months back, does not turn VSync on except when FPS > refresh rate, Fast Sync would be the same.

A friend of mine is using G-Sync + Fast-Sync on his XB271HU and it only kicks in above 165FPS.

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Yup got that! Thank you for info. :) as mentioned above in P.s. that video pretty much sums it up.

Quite the confusion nowadays with all those SYNCS floating around. :nerd:

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Please tell me what I have to do to test if there really is tearing above 144fps on a 144Hz screen without vsync because honestly I have never seen that.

Also, consider using downsampling to get below 100Hz and enjoy your eye candy.

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    You can frame limit to 94FPS (in-game limiter if possible, RTSS if not) and keep gsync active at all times.

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Run a game at 200fps, without Fast-sync / Vsync, only G-Sync, you will see tearing.

Always an option.
    However right now i use Gsync + fast-sync, and it works great.
    Was just curious if those two combined cause extra latency or any other side effects. Apparently not as they work flawlessly together.

And Gsync on lower Fps - example Skyrim at 60fps is amazing, silky smooth.

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Fast sync causes side effects. It micro-stutters. You need at least 300FPS for the micro-stutter to disappear, or 200FPS for it to be tolerable.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, under dx9 and 10 I can not confirm seeing tearing with 200+fps. Not sure if the driver limits the fps in some way as it's not native iirc (Nvidia's dx9 emulator). I will try to dumb down my settings enough to get over 200fps with some games.

Still I don't see any tearing in Overwatch's menus with the game and Geforce Experience OSD showing 180fps, or BF1's menus with shown 200fps.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I see tearing in OW, but it's very minor.

Most people wouldn't notice I don't think.

10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Did some benchmarking yesterday influenced by comments in this thread, and tried to monitor and test tearing over 100fps, 150fps and 200+fps.

Being fully honest, i actually didnt see that much tearing at all. I wonder if it depends on the game engine or something. I can recall back in the day you could notice tearing easily, however now its really subtle, (at least the portion that i notice) and very minor.

So currently using just Gsync without anything else. Lets see if i find a game where tearing is insane.