Moving MBR?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by jeffmorris, Jul 20, 2015.

1. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    At the program for mentally-handicapped people, I have an HP Z220 CMT computer with Windows 7 Pro and Seagate 1TB HDD. After replacing the Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB SSD with Samsung 850 PRO 512 GB SSD in my backup computer at home, I took the old SSD to the program and used Samsung's disk cloning software to clone disk files from Seagate HDD to SSD. After disconnecting the HDD, I tried to boot the computer but I got MBR Missing messages. I tried to use the EasyBCD software but the computer won't boot unless the HDD is connected. Changing the boot order in BIOS didn't work. How can I fix the problem? I think that the HDD was going bad because of too-slow boot-up. If I have to make a boot CD-ROM, please let me know. I'm afraid of installing Windows 10 on the HP computer because it has hardware and software for controlling a CNC router in the woodshop where I work. The companies that make the hardware and software told me not to install Windows 10.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  3. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I made a "Quick Restore CD" on an USB flash drive and after rebooting the computer, I am given a choice of restoring the factory-installed operating system and programs, or creating a hard disk backup, and that's it. Any suggestions?

4. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Wasn't there a method of doing this manually using diskpart as well? Been ages since I've done it though.

Also, perhaps reclone the disk using a different tool, Macrium Reflect perhaps. First decrease the original HDD it's partition size to something that fits on the new SSD though, you'd want to copy the entire disk (excluding the leftover space) if it has to boot.