SSD or a WD caviar etc?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by mitzi76, Jan 5, 2017.

1. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Right am still using Sata2 and have my OS on a plextor 120gb and games on old HD. (which is 500mb and full of steam games).

Out of space and also water pump died so am rebuilding PC. Now what would be my best option?

(Ideally I'd like to run only a few games like Fifa16 and BF1 on the newest drive).

If I install my Origin and steam games it's going to come more than 120gb most likely so I think I'd like to either get a 120gb ssd or a 1tb HDD like say a WD caviar.

Now my question is this I will be rebuilding the PC and probably going for a fresh build within say the next two yrs. Will I notice a big improvement playing games on an SSD using Sata2 over say a recent normal HDD?

Here's what I had in mind..

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/king...lid-state-hard-drive-sv300s37a-hd-051-ks.html

or

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-s-64mb-cache-hdd-oem-wd10ezex-hd-366-wd.html

2. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I find games on an SSD load quicker that's about all but I hate waiting.

I vote 250GB SSD all the way with 1 large HDD for backups and software that you don't mind starting slower

3. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Well I have the 120gb ssd already with OS installed and I didnt want to spend on a 250gb ssd but I guess that would mean I could get steam games and Origin on my SSD then HDD as storage. (that said BF1 is a whopper and Fifa17 fairly big).

So what would be your recommendations on a 250 ssd? Has to be sata 2 compat....(i guess 5 yr warranty would be the one to go for ideally).

I was just thinking that as am still on sata2 am I seeing that much of a difference between an SSD and a decent enough normal HDD in terms of read/write times obviously sata3 wins hands down but my Mobo is sata2.

Have seen SSD's now which seem to be pci express whats the score there? (your mobo need some kind of compatibility).

p.s what might help me is if some of you have a 250gb ssd how many games do you have installed on it? and how much left. (I prob only have say 2 installed on origin, poss one more with mass effect 3 coming and then say 4 or so on steam).

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  4. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    i use 4 x Samsung 250Gb evo SSDs depends on the games but I never like to fill an ssd so I normally get around 3/4 games on the SSD if they are large installs like witcher fallout or BF4 I also have a WD 1tb HDD I use for games that are ok loading slower and any other software.

on sata2 SSD will still be quicker than HDD