Jumped Wrong Pins On Power Supply

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wrathloki, Nov 30, 2016.

1. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    So I decided to open up my EVGA Supernova 850 G2 PSU today to test it out before connecting anything to it, to make sure it wasn't defective and would fry anything. The problem is the wires are all black, so I didn't know which was the green wire to jump. Luckily EVGA includes a power on tester so I knew which pins were the right pins to jump. I couldn't use the tester and fit the multimeter leads down to the metal so I jumped with a paper clip. After I hooked 4 fans up (for load) I got turned around and jumped the pins on the diagonal opposite side of the motherboard connector. The power supply and fans turned on, but the fans were running slow, like they weren't getting full power. After about 30 seconds I realized my mistake and switched the paperclip to the correct pins. Turns out I had jumped between a 12v pin and 5v pin. After switching the clip I tested everything and all the voltages were within 1% of where they should be (this is with a Fluke multimeter, so it's accurate). So my question is this, considering all the voltages are still looking perfect with a 4 fan load, do you think I have anything to worry about when connecting my motherboard now? Did I screw something up by jumping those 12 and 5 volt pins?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Power supply wouldn't have been pushing 12v or 5v if you hadn't jumped the correct pins to power it on afaik

3. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Your PSU is fine ....

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    This.

5. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    And the lesson is: There is much less of a chance of breaking something if you just plug stuff in correctly to see if it works, rather than screwing around and jumping it incorrectly with paper with clips!

6. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    If I plugged it in and there was something wrong with it I could have fried the motherboard, CPU, ram and SSD so....

7. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Very unlikely IMHO. Much more likely that you will fry your PSU by sticking paper clips in it, especially sticking them in the wrong place!

8. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Yeah, I ****ed up. No need to rub that **** in. It's not like it was hard to **** up considering the all black wires.

9. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I'm not trying to rub it in, I was making a sincere observation :)