How to fix a button on a controller which sticks sometimes ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BB Gun, Dec 14, 2016.

1. BB Gun

BB Gun Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    Well like the title said, I have a slight problem which while I can live with it I'd rather fix it if possible.

Recently after a few weeks , I spilled some OJ on my PS3 controller and I made sure to clean it on the outside as much as possible. Ofcourse after sometime my "action " keys (Triangle, Square, X, Circle) started to stick and I wanted to clean it from the inside. After disassembling my controller I cleaned it with Alcohol and Q-Tips thoroughly (few hours of cleaning), and the keys worked again like new.

Now the problem that I have is that whenever I press my Triangle key, it sometime tends to stick a little (split second) and if pressed hard (like when button mashing in some games) it sticks in for a second or two.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me to try ?

Thanks

2. BB Gun

BB Gun Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    Just wondering but is it possible to put the rubber membranes in a wrong order ?

All sides look the same to me.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Just needs more cleaning, not much more to be done I guess. Probably some leftovers still there.
    Make sure to clean the button holes on the cover carefully too.

Can't recall as it was while back when I disassembled my PS3 controller but I don't think you can put the membranes on in a wrong order.

They might be upside-down though?

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Take it apart, clean it.
    Photo every stage as you go then you can be sure of what goes where and how.

5. BB Gun

BB Gun Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    Well, I went and cleaned it with the soapy water after disassembling it again, now the sticky thing at the triangle button is no more but now when I press it, it produces that sound as you would rub your finger on a clean glass heh.

It doesn't matter as I can live with it, thanks again everyone.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Squeaky clean :)