Can usb port damage devices?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Undercova, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Undercova

Undercova Guest

GPU:
    660GTX Windforce
    As the title says, can it? It looks like one of the front panel usb ports somehow makes the devices unrecognizable by the pc. I plugged my Polar sports watch to it, and it wouldn't sync it anymore, pc didn't recognize the device. Forgot to tell my gf about it, and now same thing happened to her watch and Canon camera. They all work normally but the pc won't recognize them anymore, none of the usb ports do, front nor back, tried different cables too.

It hasn't done this before, allthough we usually use the left(working one) but now when we used the right port it just made those devices not work with the pc anymore.

Can i reset the ports?

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Are you talking about ports failed to recognize devices at one computer or several?

3. Undercova

Undercova Guest

GPU:
    660GTX Windforce
    Laptop didn't work either.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If they don't work in the laptop now after connecting them to the PC then it sounds possible that the PC USB has damaged the devices (If the laptop USB ports work), it does carry +5v, if something is screwy elsewhere, on the board, I suppose it could be pushing too much / spikes to the ports and frying stuff

Check something like AIDA64 / HWiNFO and check the +5v sensors

Use a multimeter to check the ports themselves, Google for wiring of USB ports for +/- 5v

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I suppose they can, USB ports/devices use currents up to 1200...1500 mA too iirc, depending on generation.

More than enough to cause damage in worst case scenario. Could be a good idea to disconnect the front ports' header cable from the motherboard just in case.

6. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    No but spossibily a bunk usb hardware can .

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yes, a USB port can damage devices plugged into it. I know this from experience. I have a desktop with a faulty USB port that damages anything that's plugged into it.

8. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Shouldn't happen. The device can possible bust your usb port. External ports are troublesome as well.

9. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Best is to use PC's USB 3.0 ports even if its a 2.0 device; depending you have no usb 3.0 devices lol ,,,, But ya shouldn't have port problems unless its a cheapo mobo maybe.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The OP asked if a USB port could damage a device. The answer is yes. If the USB port is damaged, it can easily damage devices that are plugged into it.

If a device is damaged by being plugged into a USB port, the port needs to be inspected for damage.