some Qs on SLI

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by GeoD, Jan 10, 2015.

1. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    hello gurus, hope this is the right section...

ive built a few rigs over the years yet i have never gone with a multi-GPU setup. my setup is good for my current gaming needs, but i have a 150 gift card to new egg and im thinking that SLI is a good option for some future-proofing. im not as up on things as i was 5-10 years ago so sorry if my Q's are newbish...my sig is up to date and my EVGA 760 has 1059/1124 stock clocks. with this information, i ask:

1) is my mobo worth doing 760 SLI on? i read that this mobo in SLI is only 8x per lane (other reviews said an ivy bridge CPU made both 16x?) and while this didnt really hold back older cards i wonder if this is an issue with 2x760s? will this hamper performance beyond a few%?

2). i know that i dont need exactly the same card as my EVGA, but should i go for a card with the same clocks? will a difference in clocks cause issues or do both run at the lower/higher GPU speed? im looking at a gigabyte with a similar fan but higher boost clock...are there any manufacturers to stay away from or avoid?

PSU is single rail with 70amp 12v+ rail, 850 watts and is modular. i play at 1080 but am looking to take advantage of DSR in some older games and play newer ones maxed (or near).

thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    8x 8x pcie 3.0 won`t hinder 2 760 1 bit.

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    ^ what he said