Is there a problem with my CPU folding??

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Mannerheim, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    Im new with this 1.. so i am an idiot =)
    Little bit too big picture but ill delete it when ill get answer unles i get banned before it =)
    I just think this Windows SMP (v6.30) shoud use more cores???

Huge Image (3840*1080) below {F@HTL}
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2010
  2. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    yer we should be able to get you going have you made a shortcut of the exe and the you will need the flags -smp -verbosity 9 -advmethods at the moment your doing a classic client may need to delete the work folder where you installed it

3. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    I am guessing that you are having a dual monitor setup.

Anyways, yes, the SMP2 Client can use from 2 to 48 Cores without an issue. In your case, you were assigned a Classic WU which uses 1 Core/thread because you might have connected to the Servers before you had the -smp flag. Nonetheless, you can restart the Client and once it finished the WU, you will be assigned a SMP2 WU.

Do note that your FAHlog should be like:

Launch directory: E:\F@H SMP2
    Executable: E:\F@H SMP2\Folding@home-Win32-x86.exe
    Arguments: -smp 7 -verbosity 9

You don't need the -congifonly -smp flag in the .exe file. I would suggest that you add the -verbosity 9 flag to make the FAHlog more detailed which is useful while troubleshooting. Here are some useful links:
    Adding Flags -> <Click>
    SMP2 Guide -> <Click>

I would suggest that you use HFM.NET for monitoring the Client and if you want, you can install the GPU3 BETA Client for your GTX 470.

Do note that you must finish 10 FahCore_a3 WUs (SMP2 WUS) within the deadline with the same username/passkey combination to get qualified for the Bonus Points (Details) and then you will be assigned bonus points. Also note that there is a known issue where if CPU cycles are "stolen" from FahCore_a3, there will be a non-linear showdown in the WU processing so you may want to see if -smp or -smp 5 gives the lowest TPF/highest PPD and stick with it.

4. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Deleting the work folder isn't nessary since you will dump the WU and it will be bad for science :( The SMP2 Client can fold Classic WUs so if Mannerheim follows my method, the Classic WU will be over very soon, here is the TPF of the same Project on my laptop (T8300 @ 2.4):
    Min. Time / Frame : 00:07:05 - 3,719.18 PPD
    Avg. Time / Frame : 00:07:41 - 3,292.15 PPD

So I would say that the WU will be over in <13 hours (don't know Mannerheim's clock speed) and then a SMP2 WU will be assigned so that is a win-win situation since the Classic WU isn't dumped and Mannerheim will get a SMP2 WUs "soon" :)

Regarding the -advmethods flag, do note that you will be assigned WUs in late-beat Stage so the probability of EUEing increases.

5. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    i let this **** run for while and try to adjust later.. cause im so lost... Why make so ****ing hard for it...

GPU3 is running.. its easy...:3eyes:

My CPU is stock 3.2GHz

6. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    My guess is that they have "unified" the CPU Clients into one, i.e. with 1 Client, you can run either Classic or SMP2 WUs (similar to the Linux one). You just have to configure the Client correctly (a problem to many new users) and be done with it. Nonetheless, there is news that v7 might be released within 2011 Q1 and will make it much simpler since it is a complete rewrite of the Client.

7. iancook221188

GPU:
    it all learning curve Mannerheim i started doing smp2 client when it frist came out it took me a few day to get it going but you get there a lot faster than i did with the forums help

8. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    I did it... all 6 cores running =)

9. iancook221188

GPU:
    that good to hear what the ppd on the x6 1090t

10. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    2h and 25% ready =) med size packet.
    Need better cooler. Stock cooler is making so horrible noise but its keeping temps low. ~40c

11. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    FYI the SMP2 Client doesn't yet implement the small/medium/big WU Sizes. It is hardcoded to big.

12. mahagurus

mahagurus Member

GPU:
    GeForce 9900GT 2GB
    good 4 u dude, keep up the good work....:nerd:

13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i seriously have problems with my FOLDING too..using FERMI application to fold and normal application to fold iwth CPU and cant get even 10k perday as i used to do with my q9650 before..iam sicken of low score wincem y mew i950 cpu..WTF! and the worst thing, i know u guys trry to help me but i dont understand what u guys saying me about doing log stuffs and checking smething etc..this is so complicated to me.

14. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Mr.Bigtime -> If you follow every step in this pictorial Guide for SMP2 Client (Details), you will be able to configure it correctly without any difficulty.

15. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    U shoud be doing 14k+ with ur GPU only. I have had problems where GPU doesnt go 3D clocks and make lower PPD. Maybe ur having same prob?

16. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Yeah man i guess, panther, i think that guide is an easy one. Thanx man. By the way i keep using my previous, old bonus code. Will it matter? Or i need a new 1 with new pc?

17. iancook221188

GPU:
    nope you only need one passkey and you can use it on all your clients

18. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    Now i can fold quietly...
    With new noctua NH-U12P

2*c lower temp and 1350rpm vs Stock 6750rpm.

38*c CPU. Maybe i coud OC now =)

19. iancook221188

GPU:
    there good ive just got NH-D14 so mite be able to push to 4.2-4.4Ghz had to get some mushkin ram to make it fit tho ( kingston hyperx t1 is far to tall) and now the 200mm fan on the side does not fit so on of the gpu is 15c higher :bang: win some loose some im going to have to think about my next move

20. Ghost15

Ghost15 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 465 SC 1GB
    My issue is the vCore, the chip runs cool from the Water Cooling. Maybe I got a bad oc chip :-(