Installed GPU3 and it's running now what? :3

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by fourBetter, Feb 5, 2011.

1. fourBetter

fourBetter Guest

GPU:
    MSI Hawk 460gtx 1GB
    Bought a new computer recently, heard about folding over the summer, and became super excited to start, so here I am. F@H is running and I entered the guru3d team number so what happens now? I plan on OCing my cpu after I buy a cooler for it so how can I contribute more after that happens? Super happie to be folding for such a great site and team! :D

2. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Welcome to the Guru3D F@H Team fourBetter,

I searched for "fourBetter" on the Official Stats but didn't get any hits so I assumed that you have yet to return any WU or you are using a different username.

Since you are using a Nvidia Fermi GPU (GTX 460) are you using the v6.3X or v6.4X GPU3 Beta Client? If you are unsure, just post the FAHlog (Details) and we will figure it out.

Regarding your CPU, you can contribute by running the SMP2 Beta Client v6.30. I am assuming that your system runs 24/7. You don't need to worry about your normal applications "slowing down" if SMP2 Client is running because it runs at idle priority by default and will give up CPU cycles to applications requesting them. Here are some installations guides:
    Detailed Guide For Console Version (Windows): <Click>
    Pictorial Guide For Console Version (Windows): <Click>

Moreover, please remember that Prime95 is less stressful than folding on the CPU so once you have attained your desired level of overclock, you may need to tweak it to ensure that the SMP2 Client can fold WUs without giving errors. Alternatively, you can download StressCPU to check the stability of your system.

You will be needing a 3rd party monitoring tool so I would recommend HFM.NET which is easy and supports Bonus Points calculation (this is for the SMP2 Client so make sure that you read the details on how to qualify for it).

Feel free to ask any further questions.

3. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    welcome to the team fourBetter

4. fourBetter

fourBetter Guest

GPU:
    MSI Hawk 460gtx 1GB
    I'm running the v6.4x Beta Client. Are you suggesting I start using the SMP2 Beta Client now? or after I get my cooler and OC it.

edit: Thanks PantherX and iancook221188 :D

5. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    It depends on your choice. At stock settings with a stock cooler, you can run the SMP2 Beta Client v6.30 and let it fold the 10 WUs for you to qualify for the Bonus Points (amongst other requirements). You may want to keep an eye on the temps. Once you OC, you can than see how much PPD you gained from stock to OC if you want. The choice is yours :)

6. fourBetter

fourBetter Guest

GPU:
    MSI Hawk 460gtx 1GB
    Installed the SMP2 client and it is running smoothly. My CPU is running between 50-60C, so it's doing great.

@iancook221188
    How the heck do you get so many PPD?

7. iancook221188

GPU:
    bigadv and 5 other clients, bigadv smp project must have 8+ core/thread to work on them, they have big bonuses but take a long time. 53k ppd for the 970 @4ghz on smp11 hoping to push it up to 4.2-4.4 soon and if i can get it to 4.4+ smp12 should be 71k ppd

@ panther do you if the v7 project for the gpu's are they going to take a lot of cpu cycles like the gpu3 work units??:nerd:

8. fourBetter

fourBetter Guest

GPU:
    MSI Hawk 460gtx 1GB
    I is very jealous. I don't even want to game now, because I don't want to hinder my folding... lol.

9. fourBetter

fourBetter Guest

GPU:
    MSI Hawk 460gtx 1GB
    Double post incoming!

I was looking at my CPU usage and I feel the SMP2 Client isn't using as much processing power as it should...

Here's a screen shot: http://i.imgur.com/gAs74.png

10. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    The initial V7 Client will not have any new FahCores (except for ATI/AMD but not sure when that is) so if the current FahCore uses X CPU cycles, it will continue to use X CPU cycles even with V7. What reduces/increases the CPU cycles is the FahCore version. If a new version is released, then it may or may not effect the CPU cycles. Furthermore, it also depends on the Projects. Some Project require more CPU cycles than others.

It looks like your SMP Client is running in Classic Client mode or you already were assigned a Classic WU. In either case, I would need to see your FAHlog so please post it.

11. fourBetter

fourBetter Guest

GPU:
    MSI Hawk 460gtx 1GB
  12. iancook221188

GPU:
    yep you folding an A3 project that what you want.

75 is too hot as long as your not running it for ever like that what cooler are you running with at the mo you may need a better one if that is stock speed

13. fourBetter

fourBetter Guest

GPU:
    MSI Hawk 460gtx 1GB
    It is the stock cooler, I'll be buying a new cooler soon, so how can I cease folding with my CPU til then without uninstalling it?

14. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    I would think that <75C would be fine in the short-term (since you're getting a cooler), however, if you are uncomfortable with it, you have to stop the service (since you are running it as one), add the -oneunit flag and start it from the shortcut, not the service. Once you finish the WU, the Client will exit (you may want to disable the service ot keep it from running the next time you restart the system) and you can always restart folding when you get your 3rd party cooler.

15. J_J_B

J_J_B Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA: 2xSLI 580HC, 480HC
    I wouldn't worry about <75C. I know many folks who don't like to exceed 70C but I actually push 78 when running my PC in the office and I'm not worried about it, particularly whereas there isn't any chance that I'll still be using this processor 3 years from now (have already used it for 2).

16. fourBetter

fourBetter Guest

GPU:
    MSI Hawk 460gtx 1GB
    Okie dokie, so I guess I'll leave it running then til I get my cooler next month. Would giving my computer a break at any point be helpful to my system?