Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Affiliates > Rivatuner Generic Discussion forum > RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum
RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum This forum is intended for advanced comments, ideas and general discussion of the RivaTuner Utility which is hosted here at the Guru of 3D. This forum is visited by programmer himself - you can only post in this area with a minimum of 10 posts and 7 days forum membership.

Old
  (#101)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 11-13-2008, 09:40 | posts: 13,120 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Overclocking or Overdrive overclocking? These are compeltely different things. Also, define your "broken" please. No tab? Tab doesn't function? No hardware detected?

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

Old
  (#102)
mR Yellow
Maha Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9 Fury
Processor: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.4Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS X99-A
Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHZ
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX
PSU: Corsair TX 850W
Default 11-13-2008, 14:14 | posts: 1,940 | Location: South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwinder View Post
Overclocking or Overdrive overclocking? These are compeltely different things. Also, define your "broken" please. No tab? Tab doesn't function? No hardware detected?
Sorry for not explaining properly. The Overclocking tab is gone. Fan Control tab is visible and work 100%.

I can OC using Overdrive and ATT but not with RT.

Old
  (#103)
harvik780
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x 8800GTS 640M SLI,2x8600GT,8800GT
Processor: E6600 @ 3.4Ghz TRU120X,E6550 3.2Ghz
Mainboard: P5N32-E SLI,P5N-E SLI
Memory: DDR II 1*2 GB 800Mhz
Soundcard: ASUS,Logitech
PSU: Corsair HX620W,CM EP 600W
Default 11-13-2008, 14:33 | posts: 195

I have both my systems having using multi-GPU steup so i am eagerly waiting for this release.

Old
  (#104)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 11-13-2008, 15:11 | posts: 13,120 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mR Yellow View Post
Sorry for not explaining properly. The Overclocking tab is gone. Fan Control tab is visible and work 100%.

I can OC using Overdrive and ATT but not with RT.
Investigated the problem:

ATI broken error reporting system in PowerPlay clock control interfaces in 8.10 hotfix 2. The issue is still not fixed in 8.11 and error reporting is also broken in this version. PowerPlay interfaces themselves work fine, but the driver reports failure codes even on successful PowerPlay clock requests or clock programming calls. It means that all overclocking tools using these inerfaces and controlling the driver's error codes (RivaTuner, AMDGPUClockTool, ATITool and special vendor specific bundle utilities) will stop working starting from 8.10 hotfix 2.
Fun thing, it still works in ATITrayTools due to lack of error control in the code. That's actually rare example of situation when incomplete code is actually a good thing.
ATI are notified about the problem and I hope that new hotfix will be available soon. It is also possible to create a temporary workaround in RivaTuner (e.g. disable error reporting control if 8.10 hotfix 2 or newer version is detected), however I'm not sure that it worth the efforts. That's clearly a bug in ATI driver and it will be surely fixed in future versions of Catalyst.

Old
  (#105)
mR Yellow
Maha Guru

Default 11-13-2008, 19:48 | posts: 1,940 | Location: South Africa

Quote:

ATI broken error reporting system in PowerPlay clock control interfaces in 8.10 hotfix 2. The issue is still not fixed in 8.11 and error reporting is also broken in this version. PowerPlay interfaces themselves work fine, but the driver reports failure codes even on successful PowerPlay clock requests or clock programming calls. It means that all overclocking tools using these inerfaces and controlling the driver's error codes (RivaTuner, AMDGPUClockTool, ATITool and special vendor specific bundle utilities) will stop working starting from 8.10 hotfix 2.
Fun thing, it still works in ATITrayTools due to lack of error control in the code. That's actually rare example of situation when incomplete code is actually a good thing.
ATI are notified about the problem and I hope that new hotfix will be available soon. It is also possible to create a temporary workaround in RivaTuner (e.g. disable error reporting control if 8.10 hotfix 2 or newer version is detected), however I'm not sure that it worth the efforts. That's clearly a bug in ATI driver and it will be surely fixed in future versions of Catalyst.
Alex, your a genius! Now that makes perfect sense.

Old
  (#106)
LBJM
Member Guru

Videocard: latest green team
Processor: xeon E5
Mainboard: C612
Memory: 256GB of reg ECC
Soundcard: Asus DSX
PSU: corsair ax1200
Default 11-14-2008, 04:10 | posts: 95 | Location: U.S.A

Quote:

any chance you could make it a toggle in the super user tab? because I like using RT launcher for custom OCs with fan speeds. I don't like having CCC installed and RT worked great with the regular 8.10s and I miss it already.

also you never know if ati will break it again.

Old
  (#107)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 11-14-2008, 10:27 | posts: 13,120 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Done. ATIPowerPlayErrorReportingWorkaround entry in the PowerUser tab will allow you to bypass a problem until it is fixed by ATI.

Old
  (#108)
mR Yellow
Maha Guru

Default 11-14-2008, 12:03 | posts: 1,940 | Location: South Africa

Quote:
Done. ATIPowerPlayErrorReportingWorkaround entry in the PowerUser tab will allow you to bypass a problem until it is fixed by ATI.
Thanx

Old
  (#109)
mikeyakame
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX280 729/1566/2700
Processor: Q9550 3.4ghz
Mainboard: DFI LT X48-T2R
Memory: DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair HX1000 1000W
Default 11-16-2008, 15:21 | posts: 207 | Location: Tallinn, Estonia

Unwinder. You wouldn't happen to have worked out what either the bit mask or representations of the PFB_TIMING0 -> 2 gpu register values are?

I've worked out a few of the timing values, but there are many possible timings which could be and I'm not sure how exactly to prove which hex byte is which timing. My problem with narrowing them down is the drivers modify the memory timings it appears, so the bios values and timing set only from what I can see are a guideline on how to set the ACT, PRE, READ, WRITE windows and turnarounds.

PFB_EMRS sets the burst latency and other extended mode registers.
PFB_MRS sets the CAS latency and a couple of other timings, Write Recovery or WTR are covered by its bitmask.

I've spent quite some time looking into it, and just not sure what to do to confirm timing values any farther.

I was also unsure how timing set is detected, and probably the PFB_CFG register holds the timing set select bitmask in the low word. lowest bit is timing set 0, highest bit is timing set 7.

ie
NV_PFB_CFG 0x00000800h

0x0008 = 00001000, selects timing set 4 since 5th bit from lowest bit is masked
0x0010 = 00010000, selects timing set 3 since 4th bit from lowest bit is masked

Am I on the right track here?

0b00010000 represents timing set 3
0b00001000 represents timings set 4

and such. just looks like that to me.

Last edited by mikeyakame; 11-16-2008 at 15:32.

Old
  (#110)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 11-16-2008, 15:32 | posts: 13,120 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Cannot help you with that, sorry. Timings registers layout changes really often (almost with any family) and decoding it is rather boring stuff for me, so I've not peeked in these regs for a while.

Old
  (#111)
mikeyakame
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX280 729/1566/2700
Processor: Q9550 3.4ghz
Mainboard: DFI LT X48-T2R
Memory: DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair HX1000 1000W
Default 11-16-2008, 15:34 | posts: 207 | Location: Tallinn, Estonia

Quote:
Cannot help you with that, sorry. Timings registers layout changes really often (almost with any family) and decoding it is rather boring stuff for me, so I've not peeked in these regs for a while.
I understand and respect that. I could decode them since I only need for my current card. Is there any particular way to isolate and prove correctness for which timing has been modified? If I can work that out, the rest is easy

I've got all the hynix datasheets for the GDDR3 used, so I've figured out roughly what may be what. I'm just not certain because of the driver appearing to select its own tighter values and varies between sometimes one driver to the next.

Last edited by mikeyakame; 11-16-2008 at 15:37.

Old
  (#112)
d1fferent
Maha Guru

Videocard: N/A
Processor: Core i7 920
Mainboard: Rampage X58 Formula
Memory: N/A
Soundcard: Logitech Z-10
PSU: Corsair 650W PSU
Default 11-16-2008, 15:41 | posts: 1,425 | Location: U.K

Unwinder

Any beta avaliable?

Old
  (#113)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 11-16-2008, 16:24 | posts: 13,120 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

No. I don't provide betas just for fun, sorry.

Old
  (#114)
Ray Adams
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ATI HD6950
Processor: Intel C2Q Q9550 (3.4GHz)
Mainboard: ASUS P5E
Memory: 8Gb Patriot Viper
Soundcard: internal
PSU: 900W
Exclamation 11-16-2008, 19:54 | posts: 4,942

Quote:

What was the problem exactly?

Old
  (#115)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 11-16-2008, 20:03 | posts: 13,120 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

PowerPlay ExtEscapes (0xC080xx) no longer return correct error codes and always return zero on both succeded and failed calls. Normally it is supposed to be equal to 0xC00000 for success and not equal to 0xC00000 for failure.

Old
  (#116)
Ray Adams
Ancient Guru

Default 11-17-2008, 06:33 | posts: 4,942

Strange, but I do have error checking.
Code:
function GetPMCallResult(returnValue: Integer): Integer;
begin
    if (returnValue <> $c00000) then
        begin
            Result := returnValue;
            exit
        end;
    begin
        Result := 0;
        exit
    end
end;

Old
  (#117)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 11-17-2008, 06:48 | posts: 13,120 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Weird. So does it work in ATT or not? Probably mR Yellow just confused regular overclocking module with Overdrive 5 overclocking module?

Old
  (#118)
Ray Adams
Ancient Guru

Default 11-17-2008, 07:59 | posts: 4,942

Quote:
Weird. So does it work in ATT or not? Probably mR Yellow just confused regular overclocking module with Overdrive 5 overclocking module?
Overclocking works. Didn't test OverDrive.
Currently I don't have access to ICQ to contact you.
Lets talk today evening. Okay?

Old
  (#119)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 11-19-2008, 14:49 | posts: 13,120 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Well, 180.xx WHQL is now online, I guess that I'll need a few hours to ensure that 2.20 is compatible with them then we'll publicly release it at last.

Old
  (#120)
ZeW0 ToleraNce
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI R5770
Processor: Intel Core i5-750@4.0GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
Memory: 4GB CMD 1600 8-8-8-24
PSU: Corsair 750HX
Default 11-19-2008, 15:45 | posts: 360 | Location: Urbana, IL

THANK YOU UNWINDER!! U DA MAN!
I've been waiting to see this post since forever

Old
  (#121)
_cTn_
Master Guru

Videocard: ASUS STRIX 980TI
Processor: Intel i7-6800K @ 4.2 GHz
Mainboard: ASUS X99-A-II
Memory: 16 GB DDR4 2666 MHz
Soundcard:
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2
Default 11-19-2008, 19:52 | posts: 571

Quote:
Well, 180.xx WHQL is now online, I guess that I'll need a few hours to ensure that 2.20 is compatible with them then we'll publicly release it at last.
Cant wait

Old
  (#122)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 11-19-2008, 21:11 | posts: 13,120 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Good news...
I've just finished compatibility testing with 180.48 and found no problems so new driver has been marked as compatible one in the database. Right now it's midnight here so I'm gonna sleep a bit and release 2.20 tomorrow in the morning (I'm in GMT +3 timezone). Here is the final changes list:

Version 2.20:

Minor bugfixes:

- Fixed incorrect 2x effective memory clock multiplier for RADEON HD 4870 / 4870 X2 series equipped with QDR DDR5 memory.

What's new:

- Added ForceWare 178.xx and 180.xx drivers families support.
- Updated databases for Detonator and ForceWare drivers. Added databases for ForceWare 178.13, 178.15, 178.24, 180.10, 180.20, 180.42, 180.43, 180.44, 180.47 and 180.48.
- Added Catalyst 8.9, 8.10 and 8.11 driver families detection.
- Added workaround for broken error reporting system of PowerPlay clock control interfaces in Catalyst 8.10 hotfix 2 and Catalyst 8.11 driver families. Due to internal bug these drivers report incorrect error codes in PowerPlay clock control calls, causing overclocking tools like RivaTuner, ATITool or AMDGPUClockTool to stop working properly. Until the problem is fixed in the Catalyst driver RivaTuner provides temporary workaround by disabling error control for PowerPlay clock control calls on the Catalyst 8.10 hotfix 2 and newer drivers. Please take a note that the workaround can be forcibly disabled via ATIPowerPlayErrorReportingWorkaround registry entry.
- Added driver-level fan control support for ForceWare 180.xx drivers family.
Updated PCI DeviceID database for both AMD and NVIDIA display adapters.
- Added NVIDIA G98 graphics processors support.
- Added AMD RADEON HD 4830 display adapters family support.
- Added support for direct assess to flashrom chips of AMD RV7xx graphics processors family.
- Updated exceptions list for bundled D3DOverrider utility.
- Seriously redesigned hardware access layer provides drastically improved multi-GPU support. Now RivaTuner no longer uses single device selection ideology and supports simultaneous access to multiple physical display devices or GPUs in the most popular and frequently used modules, such as hardware monitoring module, profile launcher and task scheduler.
- Drastically increased performance of routines applying clock frequencies and fan speed when experimental cloning modes are enabled. Due to new multi-GPU oriented hardware access layer all display devices can be accessed simultaneously, it saves CPU time required on switching current display device and reinitializing hardware access layer in ther previous version.
- Now RivaTuner displays physical GPU index in the main tab on multi-GPU systems to simplify identifying independent physical devices and logical devices of the same physical GPU (e.g. two independent RAMDACs located on the same physical GPU).
- Improved hardware monitoring module:
- New multi-GPU oriented hardware access layer allows simultaneous monitoring of all supported physical display adapters and GPUs installed in the system. Simultaneous monitoring is available for both multi-monitor configurations and SLI/Crossfire modes.
- Improved API for hardware monitoring plugins:
- Added new GetSourceCaps function allowing the plugins to report different capabilities specific for exported data sources. This function helps hardware monitoring core to identify system wide and multi-GPU support capable data sources.
- Added set of new hardware access functions allowing the plugins to access multiple physical display devices simultaneously and provide multi-GPU monitoring.
- All GPU sensor specific plugins (e.g. ADT7473.dll) have been updated to support new API functions and provide multi-GPU monitoring support.
- All system wide plugins (e.g. CPU.dll) have been updated to support reporting system wide data source capability.
- Improved ADT7473.dll plugin.
- Now the plugin's database may include hardcoded pulses per revolution counters for some display adapter models to provide correct fan speed monitoring on the systems with counters improperly calibrated in VGA BIOS (e.g. some GeForce 8800GT models).
- Improved software TSS calibration algorithm for RV7xx graphics processors family.
- Improved launcher module:
New multi-GPU oriented hardware access layer allows associating launch items with any desired physical or logical display device and launching the profiles specific for this device without changing current display device selection.
- Now RivaTuner no longer records launcher events into hardware monitoring event history panel by default. Now you may enable launcher event history logging into event history panel properties if necessary.
- Improved scheduler module:
- New multi-GPU oriented monitoring module and launcher allow using the scheduler to program independent dynamic gamma, fan and clock control algorithms for each physical display device installed in the system.
- New 'Pause scheduler' module allows you to suspend the scheduler's activity if necessary.
- New 'Sampling period' setting allows you to override default sampling period for scheduled tasks associated with hardware monitoring module. Custom sampling period setting can be useful if hardware monitoring module polls hardware frequently but too frequent scheduled tasks execution is not desired. Please take a note that in case of defining multiple scheduled tasks with different sampling periods the maximum sampling period defined for a data source is being used.
- New 'Task freezing period' setting allows you to define so called task freezing period for scheduled tasks associated with hardware monitoring module. Task freezing period setting is useful when it is necessary to program a few tasks with different execution priorities. Executing a task with non-zero task freezing period causes the scheduler module to suspend execution of all tasks associated with the same data source until task freezing period is over and to put such tasks into the queue. The last queued task will be executed in the end of task freezing period.
- Now RivaTuner restarts hardware monitoring range based tasks on hardware monitoring module startup, on hardware monitoring history clearing and on resuming the scheduler module from pause.
- Now RivaTuner no longer records scheduler events into hardware monitoring event history panel by default. Now you may enable scheduler event history logging into event history panel properties if necessary.
- Improved low-level hardware overclocking module for ATI display adapters:
- Now RivaTuner hides low-level overclocking tab on PowerPlay support capable display adapters (RV630 and newer series) when overclocking functionality is not available (e.g. on the secondary GPUs in Crossfire mode under Windows XP).
- Now RivaTuner locks obsolete options in additional overclocking properties on PowerPlay support capable display adapters (RV630 and newer series).
- Now undocumented command line based hardware access interfaces also support queued current display device selection via /SD and /SELECTDEVICE command line switches.
- More tweaks improving target value generation accuracy have been done into floating point duty cycle calculation routines for all types of internal and external fan controllers.

Stay tuned!

Last edited by Unwinder; 11-19-2008 at 21:14.

Old
  (#123)
Black_ice_Spain
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 970GTX
Processor: 2500K @ 4.4 / 1.28v
Mainboard: Z77P-D3
Memory: 8gb 1600 CL9
Soundcard: Xonar DG
PSU: AC Strike-X 600W
Default 11-19-2008, 21:55 | posts: 4,553 | Location: Spain

Wow ty, EVGA+rivatuner scheluder combo was pretty dirty with cmd windows pooping everywhere xD

Will download when i come back form uni *_*

Last edited by Black_ice_Spain; 11-19-2008 at 21:57.

Old
  (#124)
Hootmon
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI R9 290 Gaming 4G
Processor: 6600K@4.6/Corsair H115i
Mainboard: ASUS Z170-E
Memory: 16GB DDR4@2600
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z @ 5.1
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2
Default 11-19-2008, 22:25 | posts: 1,222 | Location: New Hampsha'

Quote:
Good news...
I've just finished compatibility testing with 180.48 and found no problems so new driver has been marked as compatible one in the database. Right now it's midnight here so I'm gonna sleep a bit and release 2.20 tomorrow in the morning (I'm in GMT +3 timezone).
Awesome!

Get a good night's sleep. You deserve it.

Old
  (#125)
Fusion_XT
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
Processor: i7 4930K @4.2Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Gene x79
Memory: Crucial 16GB 1866Mhz
Soundcard: SurpremeFX
PSU: Corsair RM750X
Default 11-19-2008, 23:59 | posts: 852 | Location: Netherlands

Unwinder dude, you are my HERO !!

[IMG]http://squidwranglers.files.**************/2006/05/greatest-american-hero.jpg[/IMG]