Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Affiliates > Rivatuner Generic Discussion forum > RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum
RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum This forum is intended for advanced comments, ideas and general discussion of the RivaTuner Utility which is hosted here at the Guru of 3D. This forum is visited by programmer himself - you can only post in this area with a minimum of 10 posts and 7 days forum membership.

RivaTuner v2.20 on the way, major changes are coming with new version
Old
  (#1)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default RivaTuner v2.20 on the way, major changes are coming with new version - 09-25-2008, 08:16 | posts: 13,017 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Dear forum visitors,

I'm getting SLI system soon and I suppose that it will cause major changes in new version of RivaTuner. Currently RivaTuner supports multimonitor (and partially multiGPU) systems but uses singe device selection ideology, i.e. advanced features like launcher, scheduler and hardware monitor apply to one device selected at the moment. I'm going to rewrite the core to allow these modules to work with multiple GPUs simultaneously. I expect to release new version together with new NVIDIA GT206 chip announce in the end of October. Considering that there will be serious changes in the core and features, there will be major version upgrade too (I guess v2.20).

Stay tuned!

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

Old
  (#2)
boogieman
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 1080X Gaming
Processor: i7 6700K @ 4.6
Mainboard: Asus Z170-A
Memory: 2 x 8 G Skill
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z
PSU: BFG Tech EX-1200
Default 09-25-2008, 11:50 | posts: 1,879 | Location: USA

Well, tickle my foot. Jumpin to SLI huh?

Look forward to seeing and testing that release.

GL

By chance will you be looking into multi-monitor use while in SLI?

Old
  (#3)
mR Yellow
Maha Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9 Fury
Processor: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.4Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS X99-A
Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHZ
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX
PSU: Corsair TX 850W
Default 09-25-2008, 12:23 | posts: 1,933 | Location: South Africa

Great news! The best will just get better.

Will this new major update come have the new GUI?

Old
  (#4)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-25-2008, 14:13 | posts: 13,017 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
Well, tickle my foot. Jumpin to SLI huh?

Look forward to seeing and testing that release.

By chance will you be looking into multi-monitor use while in SLI?
Unlikely. SLI won't be in my primary work rig where I actively use multiple monitors, I'm going to install additional cheap 9600 SLI system for testing only.

Old
  (#5)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-25-2008, 14:13 | posts: 13,017 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mR Yellow View Post
Great news! The best will just get better.

Will this new major update come have the new GUI?
Nope. No serious GUI changes are planned.

Old
  (#6)
boogieman
Maha Guru

Default 09-25-2008, 18:06 | posts: 1,879 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwinder View Post
Unlikely. SLI won't be in my primary work rig where I actively use multiple monitors, I'm going to install additional cheap 9600 SLI system for testing only.
Ok, how about when Nvidia comes out with the "big bang II" which is supposed to support multi-monitors?

Quote:
Release 180 is the official name for Big Bang II driver. Among other features like DisplayPort support, OpenGL 3.0, GPU transcoding, Multi-monitor support for SLI,
Something to keep in the back of your mind?

Or maybe it will be enabled via the Nv console anyway.

Old
  (#7)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-25-2008, 19:06 | posts: 13,017 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Ok, how about when Nvidia comes out with the "big bang II" which is supposed to support multi-monitors?
As I said above, SLI rig will be single monitor based, so I'm afraid that the answer is still "no".

Old
  (#8)
boogieman
Maha Guru

Default 09-26-2008, 11:07 | posts: 1,879 | Location: USA

Quote:
As I said above, SLI rig will be single monitor based, so I'm afraid that the answer is still "no".
Ok you have apparently forgotten that you are our slave and must do as we ask .... bitch.

Have a nice weekend.

Old
  (#9)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-26-2008, 11:12 | posts: 13,017 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Hope that this nice weekend will end with the first alpha version having new multi-
GPU monitoring module.

Old
  (#10)
mR Yellow
Maha Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9 Fury
Processor: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.4Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS X99-A
Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHZ
PSU: Corsair TX 850W
Default 09-26-2008, 11:42 | posts: 1,933 | Location: South Africa

Quote:
Ok you have apparently forgotten that you are our slave and must do as we ask .... bitch.

Have a nice weekend.
lol

Old
  (#11)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-27-2008, 16:04 | posts: 13,017 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Some early results, not a SLI system (haven't got a hardware yet) but multi-monitor configuration with PCIE RADEON 4850 and PCI GeForce MX 400. Multi-GPU monitoring seem to be working already:

Old
  (#12)
allesclar
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Asus 1950XTX
Processor: Intel Quad Q6600
Mainboard: Asus P5N32-E SLI 680i
Memory: Corsair 8GB PC2-6400 XMS2
Soundcard: SB Audigy 2
PSU: Enermax Liberty 620W
Default 09-27-2008, 16:21 | posts: 5,312 | Location: England

thanks alot unwinder your work is much appreciated

Old
  (#13)
ZeW0 ToleraNce
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI R5770
Processor: Intel Core i5-750@4.0GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
Memory: 4GB CMD 1600 8-8-8-24
PSU: Corsair 750HX
Default 09-28-2008, 08:52 | posts: 360 | Location: Urbana, IL

looks great Unwinder. i'll finally be able to see the temps on both my cards simultaneously on the OSD

Old
  (#14)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-30-2008, 12:38 | posts: 13,017 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Launcher and Scheduler modules gone multi-GPU too:

Now you can create GPU-specific launch items allowing you to load desired overclocking, fan and gamma profiles independently for each adapter installed in the system and activate these items via tray menu or via hotkey. And in conjunction with multi-GPU scheduler and monitoring module you can program dynamic fan control and overclocking technologies for any display device installed in the system.

Old
  (#15)
boogieman
Maha Guru

Default 09-30-2008, 23:27 | posts: 1,879 | Location: USA

Quote:
And in conjunction with multi-GPU scheduler and monitoring module you can program dynamic fan control and overclocking technologies for any display device installed in the system.
Ok...now we're talking ! Nice...

Old
  (#16)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 10-03-2008, 07:32 | posts: 13,017 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

More new features on the way, I'm improving the scheduler now:

I've added "Pause scheduler" button which many of you requested in the past and also added data sampling period setting for hardware monitoring based tasks. Sampling rate tweaking can be helpful when your hardware monitoring module is polling data frequently (e.g. 2 times per second) and you wish to create a schedule based on rapidly changing parameter (e.g. CPU usage) without causing too frequent scheduled tasks execution. In this case you may increase sampling period for this scheduled task (e.g. set it to 5000ms so the scheduler will monitor CPU usage changes withing 5 second intervals).

Old
  (#17)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 10-03-2008, 13:13 | posts: 13,017 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

One more setting has been added to the task scheduler. New setting called “Task freezing period” is now available in the scheduler’s task editor window. Task freezing feature has been added to be used in conjunction with some specific types of data sources when we need to react on entering different ranges with different priorities. For example, if we want to emulate something like PowerPlay hardware microcontroller then we should bump clocks immediately when GPU usage is entering some range (e.g. 25-100%) but we shouldn’t lower the clocks immediately when GPU usage is entering low performance range. That’s when new settings comes into the game. Task freezing mode uses the following logic: as soon as the task with defined freezing period is executed the scheduler stops executing all tasks linked with this data source and starts putting such tasks into the queue instead. As soon as the freezing period is over, the last queued task is executed. Taking our PowerPlay microcontroller emulation as an example, we can define two tasks:

1) Launch high clocks profile when GPU usage is entering [25%;100%] range, define 5000ms freezing period for this task
2) Launch low clocks profile when GPU usage is entering [0;%25%] range (no freezing period is specified)

Such schedule will always set high clocks immediately when GPU usage becomes greater than 25% but will never drop the clocks earlier than 5 seconds after bumping the clocks.

Last edited by Unwinder; 10-03-2008 at 13:15.

Old
  (#18)
EnF70

Videocard: 8800GTX
Processor: Q6600
Mainboard: GA-P35-DS4
Memory: 4GB
Soundcard: ALC 889A
PSU: Toughpower 750W
Default 10-03-2008, 15:03 | posts: 20 | Location: Ireland

Quote:
One more setting has been added to the task scheduler. New setting called “Task freezing period” is now available in the scheduler’s task editor window. Task freezing feature has been added to be used in conjunction with some specific types of data sources when we need to react on entering different ranges with different priorities. For example, if we want to emulate something like PowerPlay hardware microcontroller then we should bump clocks immediately when GPU usage is entering some range (e.g. 25-100%) but we shouldn’t lower the clocks immediately when GPU usage is entering low performance range. That’s when new settings comes into the game. Task freezing mode uses the following logic: as soon as the task with defined freezing period is executed the scheduler stops executing all tasks linked with this data source and starts putting such tasks into the queue instead. As soon as the freezing period is over, the last queued task is executed. Taking our PowerPlay microcontroller emulation as an example, we can define two tasks:

1) Launch high clocks profile when GPU usage is entering [25%;100%] range, define 5000ms freezing period for this task
2) Launch low clocks profile when GPU usage is entering [0;%25%] range (no freezing period is specified)

Such schedule will always set high clocks immediately when GPU usage becomes greater than 25% but will never drop the clocks earlier than 5 seconds after bumping the clocks.
This is a nice and useful feature.

Just an idea of design if you're interested:
You could also use a "FOR clause - time period" instead of "freezing period" to achieve the same functionality.

For instance:
1) Launch high clocks profile when GPU usage >= 25% FOR X milliseconds.
2) Launch low clock profile when GPU usage < 25% FOR Y milliseconds.

Benefits:
- avoid load spikes
- easier implementation
- maybe others I can't think of right now

EnF

Old
  (#19)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 10-03-2008, 15:10 | posts: 13,017 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnF70 View Post
Just an idea of design if you're interested:
You could also use a "FOR clause - time period" instead of "freezing period" to achieve the same functionality.

For instance:
1) Launch high clocks profile when GPU usage >= 25% FOR X milliseconds.
2) Launch low clock profile when GPU usage < 25% FOR Y milliseconds.

Benefits:
- avoid load spikes
- easier implementation
- maybe others I can't think of right now

EnF
Thanks for suggestion, I was thinking about something like that before starting implementation but it will be actually harder to implement without global changes because the scheduler's architecture currently allows processing only two data samples (the current and the previous sampled value) and all events can be registered upon these two samples only.

Old
  (#20)
EnF70

Videocard: 8800GTX
Processor: Q6600
Mainboard: GA-P35-DS4
Memory: 4GB
Soundcard: ALC 889A
PSU: Toughpower 750W
Default 10-03-2008, 16:27 | posts: 20 | Location: Ireland

Quote:
Thanks for suggestion, I was thinking about something like that before starting implementation but it will be actually harder to implement without global changes because the scheduler's architecture currently allows processing only two data samples (the current and the previous sampled value) and all events can be registered upon these two samples only.
I understand.
You would also need the "last timestamp" of the sample for which the condition (threshold) was false to be able to calculate the time difference and evaluate the "FOR time" clause.

Also, in time, this feature would require another one:
A "sampling period" with a finer granularity than the "reporting period" as some triggers would need it.

Anyway, this is a nice feature regardless of how's implemented - so thank you.

EnF

Old
  (#21)
r2rX
Member Guru

Videocard: MSI GeForce GTX 480
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad @3.4Ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3R mobo
Memory: 4GB G.Skill PC-6400 DDR2
Soundcard: Realtek HD @ Creative PC
PSU: Epsilon 800W PSU
Default 10-05-2008, 09:27 | posts: 118

Looking good, Unwinder. Good luck and keep up the amazing progress.

Old
  (#22)
wollyka
Member Guru

Videocard: Geforce 980GTX
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K
Mainboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER
Memory: 16 GB Kingston KHX2400C11
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Z
PSU: ThoughPower 1200w
Default 10-05-2008, 15:02 | posts: 79 | Location: Lebanon

Excellent news and awesome features
Thx Unwinder

Old
  (#23)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 10-08-2008, 07:56 | posts: 13,017 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

The most of multi-GPU related changes I was planning to add to new version are already implemented and I think we're almost ready to start closed alpha-testing of new version, most likely alpha-testing stage will start on the next Monday. Alpha-testing stage will be rather long (2-3 weeks) because there were major changes in the core so I'd like to stress-test it really hard before releasing it to public. Final changes list will be bigger and will include support for new hardware and drivers released during alpha/beta testing period, but currently changes list includes:

Version 2.20:

Minor bugfixes:

- Fixed incorrect 2x effective memory clock multiplier for RADEON HD 4870 / 4870 X2 series equipped with QDR DDR5 memory.

What's new:

- Added ForceWare 178.xx drivers family support.
- Updated databases for Detonator and ForceWare drivers. Added databases for ForceWare 178.13 and 178.15.
- Added Catalyst 7.9 drivers detection.
- Seriously redesigned hardware access layer provides drastically improved multi-GPU support. Now RivaTuner no longer uses single device selection ideology and supports simultaneous access to multiple physical display devices or GPUs in the most popular and frequently used modules, such as hardware monitoring module, profile launcher and task scheduler.
- Drastically increased performance of routines applying clock frequencies and fan speed when experimental cloning modes are enabled. Due to new multi-GPU oriented hardware access layer all display devices can be accessed simultaneously, it saves CPU time required on switching current display device and reinitializing hardware access layer in ther previous version.
- Now RivaTuner displays physical GPU index in the main tab on multi-GPU systems to simplify identifying independent physical devices and logical devices of the same physical GPU (e.g. two independent RAMDACs located on the same physical GPU).
- Improved hardware monitoring module:
- New multi-GPU oriented hardware access layer allows simultaneous monitoring of all supported physical display adapters and GPUs installed in the system. Simultaneous monitoring is available for both multi-monitor configurations and SLI/Crossfire modes.
- Imrpoved API for hardware monitoring plugins:
- Added new GetSourceCaps function allowing the plugins to report different capabilities specific for exported data sources. This function helps hardware monitoring core to identify system wide and multi-GPU support capable data sources.
- Added set of new hardware access functions allowing the plugins to access multiple physical display devices simultaneously and provide multi-GPU monitoring.
- All GPU sensor specific plugins (e.g. ADT7473.dll) have been updated to support new API functions and provide multi-GPU monitoring support.
- All system wide plugins (e.g. CPU.dll) have been updated to support reporting system wide data source capability.
- Improved software TSS calibration algorithm for RV7xx graphics processors family.
- Improved launcher module:
- New multi-GPU oriented hardware access layer allows associating launch items with any desired physical or logical display device and launching the profiles specific for this device without changing current display device selection.
- Now RivaTuner no longer records launcher events into hardware monitoring event history panel by default. Now you may enable launcher event history logging into event history panel properties if necessary.
- Improved scheduler module:
- New multi-GPU oriented monitoring module and launcher allow using the scheduler to program independent dynamic gamma, fan and clock control algorithms for each physical display device installed in the system.
- New 'Pause scheduler' module allows you to suspend the scheduler's activity if necessary (e.g. when testing new scheduled tasks).
- New 'Sampling period' setting allows you to override default sampling period for scheduled tasks associated with hardware monitoring module. Custom sampling period setting can be useful if hardware monitoring module polls hardware frequently but too frequent scheduled tasks execution is not desired. Please take a note that in case of defining multiple scheduled tasks with different sampling periods the maximum sampling period defined for a data source is being used.
- New 'Task freezing period' setting allows you to define so called task freezing period for scheduled tasks associated with hardware monitoring module. Task freezing period setting is useful when it is necessary to program a few tasks with different execution priorities. Executing a task with non-zero task freezing period causes the scheduler module to suspend execution of all tasks associated with the same data source until task freezing period is over and to put such tasks into the queue. The last queued task will be executed in the end of task freezing period.
- Now RivaTuner restarts hardware monitoring range based tasks on hardware monitoring module startup, on hardware monitoring history clearing and on resuming the scheduler module from pause.
- Now RivaTuner no longer records scheduler events into hardware monitoring event history panel by default. Now you may enable scheduler event history logging into event history panel properties if necessary.
- Improved low-level hardware overclocking module for ATI display adapters:
- Now RivaTuner hides low-level overclocking tab on PowerPlay support capable display adapters (RV630 and newer series) when overclocking functionality is not available (e.g. on the secondary GPUs in Crossfire mode under Windows XP).
- Now RivaTuner locks obsolete options in additional overclocking properties on PowerPlay support capable display adapters (RV630 and newer series).
- Now undocumented command line based hardware access interfaces also support queued current display device selection via /SD and /SELECTDEVICE command line switches.
- More tweaks improving target value generation accuracy have been done into floating point duty cycle calculation routines for all types of internal and external fan controllers.

Now. I'm searching for a few experienced RivaTuner users (laucher, monitoring and scheduler module usage experience is necessary) with multi-GPU systems (SLI/CF or just a few independent supported NV/ATI display adapters) for testing new core and functionality. If you wish to assist - please contact me via PM.
Fun thing, but I still have not got a SLI system, which was the reason of introducing these changes. Will try to contact a few AICs and see if someone can help with that.

Old
  (#24)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 10-13-2008, 06:26 | posts: 13,017 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Erm...
I've just got a new toy to play with (new shiny iPhone 3G) so RT alpha-testing start date has been shifted a bit. I had to prepare alpha version and insturctions for testers during weekends but experiments with new toy killed all free time. My apologies to testers

Old
  (#25)
harvik780
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x 8800GTS 640M SLI,2x8600GT,8800GT
Processor: E6600 @ 3.4Ghz TRU120X,E6550 3.2Ghz
Mainboard: P5N32-E SLI,P5N-E SLI
Memory: DDR II 1*2 GB 800Mhz
Soundcard: ASUS,Logitech
PSU: Corsair HX620W,CM EP 600W
Default 10-13-2008, 07:51 | posts: 195

Thanks for the update Unwinder.Now i will be able to overclock both my 8800GT and 8600GT automatically at startup.