Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Affiliates > Rivatuner Generic Discussion forum
Rivatuner Generic Discussion forum This forum is intended for generic questions and discussion of the RivaTuner Utility. In this section the users help each other out with answers.

Excluding my application by default - RivaTuner causes latent crashes
Old
  (#1)
Biohazard90

Videocard: of
Processor: none
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: your
Default Excluding my application by default - RivaTuner causes latent crashes - 02-02-2017, 02:53 | posts: 6

Hi,

I would like to submit my application for the default exclusion list. It's a background application so I believe there is not much use in fixing compatibility.

Edit: Since I'm selling the application, it doesn't suffice for me to exclude it myself, I'd like it to be excluded by default so that my users don't experience crashes because of RTSS.

Which information is required to exclude the application and is anyone here able to assist me in achieving this?

The RTSS hook is currently causing latent crashes in my app on Dx9/Dx11 present and OGL swapbuffers, so I presume some kind of memory corruption is happening. My app uses multiple graphics devices by design, concurrently, possibly even from different APIs as listed above, which I believe is triggering the issue.

The names of the executables I would like to exclude are:
  • wallpaper32.exe
  • wallpaper64.exe
  • bin/ui32.exe
  • bin/webwallpaper32.exe

They are all installed into a directory named 'wallpaper_engine'.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Biohazard90; 02-02-2017 at 10:39.

Old
  (#2)
boogieman
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 1080X Gaming
Processor: i7 6700K @ 4.6
Mainboard: Asus Z170-A
Memory: 2 x 8 G Skill
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z
PSU: BFG Tech EX-1200
Default 02-02-2017, 03:58 | posts: 1,877 | Location: USA

Been shown and discussed many times. . Open RTSS, click the + sign and drill to each .exe's and set application detection level to "none". Hope I read your question correctly and have lead you in the right direction.

Old
  (#3)
Biohazard90

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 02-02-2017, 10:37 | posts: 6

Thanks for your reply.

I'd like to exclude it by default because I'm selling the application on Steam and it's crashing for my users. After excluding it, the crashing stops, but naturally they think that my app is broken and only a small percentage even bothers to get in touch with me or read the forums to figure out that they need to exclude it.

I guess I will make this clearer in the original post.

Old
  (#4)
jbmcmillan
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte 7870 OC 2 GB
Processor: i5 2500k@4.4 GHZ.
Mainboard: Asus P8 z77 vl-k
Memory: Gskill 2x4GB 1600 DDR3
Soundcard: Onboard realtek
PSU: OCZ 1000 watt Z series
Default 02-02-2017, 13:47 | posts: 2,214 | Location: Langley,B.C. Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard90 View Post
Thanks for your reply.

I'd like to exclude it by default because I'm selling the application on Steam and it's crashing for my users. After excluding it, the crashing stops, but naturally they think that my app is broken and only a small percentage even bothers to get in touch with me or read the forums to figure out that they need to exclude it.

I guess I will make this clearer in the original post.
Ok one question for you why don't you mention it in the download? While I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

Old
  (#5)
Biohazard90

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 02-02-2017, 14:42 | posts: 6

People don't read these things, many users just automatically skip over such dialogs without reading them.

I put the info in numerous places and my crash handler is scanning for loaded modules to pin point hooks that I know are having problems and prompt the user to setup the exclusion.

Some didn't even know they had RivaTuner installed or how to access it, I think because they got it bundled with Afterburner (if I'm correctly informed about this?).

Old
  (#6)
RealNC
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K
Mainboard: MSI P67A-C43
Memory: DDR3 16GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, JBL Spot
PSU: Corsair HX650
Default 02-02-2017, 15:13 | posts: 872

You can detect RTSS at startup and present a message to the user. This takes care of the case where the user already has RTSS running.

For the case where the user starts RTSS after your app is already running, the fact that there's a crash right after they run RTSS should make it clear to the user that RTSS is causing issues. So no need to worry about that case.

Old
  (#7)
Biohazard90

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 02-02-2017, 15:23 | posts: 6

Right, but it's not a proper solution and not user friendly at all to expect users to do this.

Anyway, I'm presuming that there is already some kind of exclusion list, since RTSS probably doesn't want to inject into system processes, so I figured it's a matter of copy & pasting a few strings.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
For the case where the user starts RTSS after your app is already running, the fact that there's a crash right after they run RTSS should make it clear to the user that RTSS is causing issues. So no need to worry about that case.
The crash is latent as in the title. I cannot even repro it on most systems, but for some users it happens only after a few minutes of runtime, for others after hours. So for the user there is no clear indication what is causing it.

Last edited by Biohazard90; 02-02-2017 at 15:26.

Old
  (#8)
RealNC
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K
Mainboard: MSI P67A-C43
Memory: DDR3 16GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, JBL Spot
PSU: Corsair HX650
Default 02-02-2017, 16:27 | posts: 872

The built-in exclusion lists are shipped with RTSS inside the "ProfileTemplates" directory (inside the RTSS installation directory.) They're filename-based (executable name + .cfg).

There doesn't seem to be a way to exclude multiple executables with the same file. Also, it's only the executable names that matter, not the directories they reside in.

So in your case, you'd need these files:

wallpaper32.exe.cfg
wallpaper64.exe.cfg
ui32.exe.cfg
webwallpaper32.exe.cfg

And their content should be:

Code:
[Hooking]
EnableHooking           = 0
Your executable names might be too generic though. It stands to reason that there might be other software out there that uses the same exe names.

In any event, you can try and PM the RTSS author about this:

http://forums.guru3d.com/member.php?u=30019

Or try and contact someone at MSI (they're the ones paying for Afterburner/RTSS development.)

Old
  (#9)
Biohazard90

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 02-02-2017, 16:52 | posts: 6

Great, thanks for the infos. Then I shall try my luck.

Indeed, the names may be too generic, so I was figuring that additional conditions may be possible, like reading some meta data from the executable or expecting a certain installation directory.

Old
  (#10)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-03-2017, 07:21 | posts: 12,963 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Sure, I'll add them to built-in exceptions list.

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

Old
  (#11)
Biohazard90

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 02-03-2017, 14:34 | posts: 6

Awesome, thanks.

Old
  (#12)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-03-2017, 16:27 | posts: 12,963 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

I've just released new beta, your applications should be in built-in exceptions list now:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=123

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator