Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Affiliates > Rivatuner Generic Discussion forum > RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum
RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum This forum is intended for advanced comments, ideas and general discussion of the RivaTuner Utility which is hosted here at the Guru of 3D. This forum is visited by programmer himself - you can only post in this area with a minimum of 10 posts and 7 days forum membership.

Nvidia added PCI-E data compression.
Old
  (#1)
Khenglish
Master Guru

Videocard: external GTX 580
Processor: i7-2920xm ES
Mainboard: Dell Latitude E6520
Memory: 8GB 1866mhz CAS10
Soundcard: Who cares about sound?
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default Nvidia added PCI-E data compression. - 05-12-2011, 00:10 | posts: 399 | Location: Saratoga Springs, NY

Starting with at least the 258 driver series, if not earlier, Nvidia added a compression algorithm for PCI-E data. This algorithm only activates if a modern Intel IGP is installed, an Optimus enabled driver is installed, an x1 link is present, and a fermi based GPU is installed. As seen here, this compression allows an external graphics card connected to a laptop with only an x1 link to achieve acceptable performance.

Unfortunately, this algorithm only activates for a small set of hardware, while many others could see major benefits from it. I posted here because Unwinder was known for some time to be the king of knowledge of Nvidia graphics drivers, and the surrounding community was also knowledgeable. I am hoping that someone may have an idea of where to look in the registry to force this compression to activate. I tried looking some myself, but I have found that Nvidia seems to put its registry keys all over the place, and I really don't know what I'm looking at or looking for.

Note that all Nvidia drivers have this compression code in them. Any Nvidia driver can be turned into an Optimus driver by added a few lines to the .inf prior to installation. I do not know if the code is present or not if the driver did not have these lines added.

So if one of you has an idea on what to do to force on this compression, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Old
  (#2)
stone-eye
Master Guru

Videocard: Nvidia 540m 1GB
Processor: Core i5 2410m
Mainboard: ASUS U46SV
Memory: 6GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Soundcard:
PSU: ASUS Power brick
Default 05-12-2011, 11:33 | posts: 674 | Location: UK

Well I know I read that Nvidia are supposedly bringing a form of optimus to desktops.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4292/n...esktop-optimus

Maybe once this development is more mainstream it'll become easier to adapt. The compression (i believe) was developed specifically for the NG-ION bandwidth issues when connecting to the Intel Atoms frame buffer over a 1x PCI-E link due to Nvidia not having a license work any other way.

Old
  (#3)
Khenglish
Master Guru

Videocard: external GTX 580
Processor: i7-2920xm ES
Mainboard: Dell Latitude E6520
Memory: 8GB 1866mhz CAS10
Soundcard: Who cares about sound?
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 05-13-2011, 23:46 | posts: 399 | Location: Saratoga Springs, NY

A problem with just waiting for Synergy and hoping it's like Optimus is that currently the bandwidth compression will not work with an x2 link. It will only activate on x1. The workings of the compression is very unknown at this point and I can see Nvidia not supporting it at all in the future, or the means by which some people are enabling it may stop working with future driver releases.