About Vsync

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by renejr902, Jul 1, 2015.

1. renejr902

renejr902 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX
    I know a lot of settings and are they work in nvidia panel. But even after 15 years im still not sure if i should play with Vsync ON or OFF.

when i was playing Dirt Rally i had a lot of screen tearing with my gtx 960, the fps were between 50 to 70 all the time in most races. But with vsync at 30 fps it was ok but not very smooth and with vsync ON at 60 fps , it was stuttering when drop below 60 fps..

Can you advice me about the vsync. When should we use it and when should we not. You Guru memebers, do you using vsync ON ?

thanks for help and tips and advices. :)

2. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    I personally run V-Sync in everything but I despise tearing and my monitor is only 60Hz.

3. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    Basically if you're getting tearing then yeah, turn it on. If that causes lag then you may need to turn down the settings. If it's just causing lag in Dirt Rally that might just be an optimisation problem with the unfinished game.

At 60hz you're basically always going to need vsync on but I've found at 116hz I don't need it at all.

EDIT triple buffering often seems to cause lag too so use double buffering

4. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Depends on the game for me, generally this is how I configure it:

Competitive multi player on line - v-sync off with frame cap x2 refresh rate. Single player games that can hold consistent refresh rate - v-sync on. Single player games with dips below refresh rate - adaptive v-sync.

Also depends on the monitor as well.

5. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    I only use v-sync in games that tear like crazy, otherwise I don't at all.

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Unfortunately, that's just the way it is, and has been for a long time. You have to way the pro's and con's for each game and decide what you can deal with personally. If 30fps lock with Vsync works for you in a certain game then do that.

What matters is what makes you happy with your experience.

Personally, I grew so frustrated with this crap that I chose the only real fix for this as an NVidia user. I got Gsync. I am by no means wealthy, getting a cheapo $400 Gsync monitor was a huge hit to my pocket. But I'm so glad I did it.

7. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified

This is the route I'm going as well but unfortunately both my card and monitor upgrades are put on hold as I'm moving in a couple weeks. What monitor did you get ?

8. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    Definitely want to pick up the Predator X34 with g-sync if I can save my pennies

9. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Fair enough but..you do know that this will lead you to gpu upgrade,right ? :)
    (also you need to save ~1000 of them..)

10. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Got the Acer XB240H A.

11. renejr902

renejr902 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX
    Thanks for answers and your advices, i will continue to evaluate each game seperately, if vsync is needed or not... About Gsync i read a lot about it too, it seems great, but my monitor dont support it, i played in 1080p 60hz with a 50'' Sony W800b LCD TV, this Tv is great because of the low input lag for gaming.