huge problems with new ssd. help needed ;(

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by kcahllaw, Oct 17, 2015.

1. kcahllaw

kcahllaw Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    hello, i will start from the beginning so its easier to understand. :)
    Few days ago i bought Samsung 850pro 512gb. I installed it in my home computer (specs are: i5 2500k standard clocks, Asus P8P67PRO B3 motherboard with 3207 bios (latest), 8 gb DDR3 ram, 3 additional HDDs (disconnected during setup), gtx 970, 1kW psu). I did check my mobo manual and connected to SATAIII 6gb slot, enabled AHCI.
    Installed Win 10+updates, samsung magician 4.7., selected 10% over provisioning, maximum performance OS optimization, rapid mode disabled because of win 10, did the performance test - 29MB/s sequential read, 32 MB/s sequential write, IOPS also less than 10% from maximum.
    after i thought oh well, maybe the soft is buggy and stared installing programs (browsers, steam, etc). During installing my pc froze a few times completely, then task bar went inactive. After a lot of hard restarts i checked mobo`s webpage and found out that intel p67 is not compatible with win 10, also no drivers for win 10 for mobo, so i thought maybe because of no drivers SSD is slow.
    format c:/ and fresh install of win 8.1, same results in magician, after enabling rapid mode 10x the maximum speed in magician test 0.o. After disabling - 20 - 40MB/s and about 8% IOPS. During testing and installing my SDD kept getting drive errors constantly, after scanning-restarting-checking and fixing, after some time same again. Now after last hard reset my win installation is broken completely, no startup repair works, all 3 restore points are corrupted or deleted.

Sorry for the text wall. SO my main question is is my SDD defective or is my setup mobo+chipset+sata controller too old or are my hands growing from my butt?

thank you in advance

2. A.J.Rimmer

A.J.Rimmer New Member

GPU:
    GTX 680
    Hi, I have the same config and everything is working fine. The latest BIOS for your MB is 3602 also try to install the latest intel drivers using Intel Driver Update Utility.

3. kcahllaw

kcahllaw Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    HI, thanks for reply, do you have exactly the same mobo+ssd? What win do you have? What results are you getting in magician? Do you have any drive errors?

Should i install intel drivers form asus page or from intels? could you share the link if from inte;?

Big thanks

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    i would boot the computer off a live linux (whatever flavour you fancy..let's say Mint)
    once on the desktop open terminal
    copy paste this

Code:
    sudo su
    Code:
    hdparm -tT /dev/sda
    assuming that /sda is your SSD

wait for the result,makes a small test of your SSD and list the write/read speed

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Did you installed Intel RST(e) drivers ? Or did you installed Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver? If not try to install this driver,I know from personal experience this has caused few issues

On W10 you can try install drivers in compatibility mode,for yours MB I've seen you have there W8.1 drivers which you can try install and then you will see,but strange you getting such low speeds and such errors...

I'm running two SSD on X58 without the single issue although my speeds are still slower than SATA III,because my MB only supports SATA II

I would try to install above drivers and you will see there,I would post the link on modded RST(e) drivers,but I'm not allowed there,due my post count

Hope this help and good luck there

Thanks,Jura

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Dont use that 10% over provisioning.. I bet its this that made all your issues. If I remember its so it makes more space on disk like a hack.