Intel 865 and 945 series chips still being manufactured?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by AcceleratorX, Apr 14, 2012.

1. AcceleratorX

AcceleratorX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti OC
    I thought these chips were long outdated, but I walked into a shop today and found various locally branded NEW (i.e. manufactured this month) boards based on Intel's 865 and 945 series chipsets.

Any idea where they are getting the chips from? I asked about it and they said that a lot of businesses want to maintain their PCs rather than upgrade and for this reason these boards still sell. Apparently "someone" found a supplier in China who was able to build boards based on these chipsets.

What's the deal? Can any of you also confirm 865/945 boards still out in the wild?

2. kakik09

kakik09 Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 660 Ti AMP! SLI
    I always knew there were people who want to do retro builds. Maybe that's why they're still being built?

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Yes,there are some Asrock models with aforementioned chipsets still made,we have it in stock,for "emergency"repairs

4. AcceleratorX

AcceleratorX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti OC
    Now that I think about it, I think I did find ASRock as being the only "known brand" amongst these boards.....others were all what we'd call "noname", brands like Absko, Klingon (believe it or not!), etc.

5. volors

volors Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    i think i used 865 in Q4 2003 , this is nothing, i went for inventory to a company yesterday to check what hardware they a are using as they needed to upgrade the servers, i was so shocked to see running windows 98 and 19500k of ram.

6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Many companies use outdated technology, it's nothing new. Hell, McDonald's Restaurants of Canada uses Intel Pentium IVs and Windows 2000 SP4 for their point of sales terminals built by NCR.

Surely whenever those terminals go down, they probably need parts from factories still making Intel 865 or 945-based chipset motherboards.

deltatux