M.2 Adapter and SSD's speed

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Okar19, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Okar19

Okar19 Member

GPU:
    m
    Hi there,
    Since my motherboard Evga z77 ftw doesn't have m.2 slot I have to buy adapter. My question is - will it affect SSD's speed? I am about to buy 950 pro m.2 512GB

2. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    If you want to use the 950pro your motherboard will have to support NVMe protocol, an simple adapter wouldn't work I believe,

"The big downside is that it's not backwards-compatible: in order to use an NVMe SSD you need an NVMe driver, and in order to boot from an NVMe drive your motherboard's firmware needs NVMe support. The NVMe standard has now been around long enough that virtually every consumer device with an M.2 slot providing PCIe lanes should have NVMe support or a firmware update available to add it, so booting off the 950 Pro poses no particular trouble"

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  3. GhettoSkater

GhettoSkater Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon 4870 512MB
    As stated above, your motherboard will need to support the NVMe protocol via a BIOS update.

I suggest contacting EVGA support about this as they may be able to help you out with this. ASRock certainly did for my Z87 board.

In terms of speed, these should not be affected by using an adaptor as long it is installed into a PCI-E 3.0 x4 slot