How will Quad core fair when 8 core Consoles are out?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by HonoredShadow, May 5, 2013.

1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I'm just curious how our 4 core/8 thread CPU's will fair once the 8 core consoles are out and games get optimised for that then come over to the PC.

Some have stated that PC ports will be alot easier and maybe even not ports at all. But surely even a Hyper threaded 4 core/8 threads CPU will struggle with 8 real cores that are of a slow speed granted. But still 8 against 4 with high ghz is still a struggle?

Surely the games will optimised for 8 and Intel will have to come out with an 8 core fast?

Curious to know what people think.

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The next gen CPUs run at 1.6 GHz and are not as efficient as desktop CPUs so I'd imagine a hyper-threaded quad core 3.2+ GHz CPU would be more than enough to run PS4 and next Xbox games when coupled with a mid to high-end graphics card. Time will tell.

3. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
  4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    This.
    Also I dont think they will be using all 8 cores for the game.
    One at least will probably be for OS/background stuff, another could be used to support the GPU directly to reduce the workload.

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Ask any developer. True parallelization is extremely hard to do and very time consuming. Don't expect games for quite a while that truly push the envelope on those low power 8 cores to the point where a modern desktop 4 core will be struggling to match it.

6. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    PC ports that we are currently used to and play now are commonly overbearing on PC hardware that should be able to run them without really breaking a sweat. What we should see with the arrival of next gen consoles with strikingly similar architecture are ports that finally properly utilise all that power even if it is a quad core machine. As someone else said some of those 8 cores on a console will be doing many other things besides just running games directly.

The differences we should see compared to now should be more than noticeable if done correctly and will at long last put unworthy hardware costly PC ports to bed. Basically the way we see consoles utterly maxed to run games as best they possibly can should soon become common place on PC but with performance left to spare.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Stone Gargoyle is somewhat correct, as long as the PC versions aren't close to being direct ports (no extra graphical features, same textures). How hard is it to make HQ textures and downsample for console use anyway?

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    The best bit of news for us PC gamers is that devs are now finally going to develop for the PC architecture FIRST and then port down to the consoles. This still does not mean they are going to shoot for super high end PC's though. They will just develop for the architecture and platform first and then scale down accordingly to perform well on consoles.

This means our quad core hyper threaded overclocked machines will actually get used the way they should have been a long time ago. Expect better optimized games on PC in the next gen.

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I doubt it, why spend more money, time and effort when all your aiming for is the majority (consoles) of gamers, well still see avg ports imo.

I reckon devs will stick to developing for the the exact console hardware and not just simply focus on plain jane x86 just to incorporate pc performance in the loop.Even though the hardware architecture is similar the parts are still not something that you can just go out and buy and throw in your pc.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I wonder about that myself, that's why I'm hesitant to buy into Haswell early. They'll certainly get more demanding as the console generation progresses, kind of like how quads were considered a waste in the early years and people recommended a fast dual core.

11. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    quad core isnt even supported by all games the last 2 years even ones that should of supported it

12. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    This could help change things. All of you guys who says games dont use quad cores must not watch cpu use in game.

13. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    The most recent ones are taking advantage of 4 threads, and at least for my entry level i3, its maxing out all 4 threads, and is leaving my GPU less stressed u__u

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    There arent that many games that can make full use of more than 2 cores.
    Mainly because having multiple game related threads running on a single core tends to max the cores out more easily, so its easier to max out 2 cores.
    This is due to most games having a single game thread, a video driver thread, a physics/physx thread, OS etc threads...

For most games, once each main thread gets its own CPU core (ie on a quad core), the process that maxes out its core first, holds the whole game up.
    So say the core the PhysX thread is running on maxes out first, the other threads will be held up waiting for the current PhysX process to complete.
    This is due to the game engine design not allowing further processing until the current processing batch on all dependent cores is complete.

Some games are designed to use a fair balance between 3 or 4 cores, but wont make good use of more cores and cant share the load between cores if one gets overloaded.
    ie there still isnt any load balancing, despite the cores looking like they are well utilised.

A few games appear to load balance very well, but there really arent that many.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Obviously you've never played Skyrim or Shogun II.

16. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Also, devs and gpu players need to focus on sli/crossfire more.

17. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    Well u do have a dual core (with hyperthreading)

18. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    How we have all longed for this ay! It seems sooo long ago since it was the other way round...

19. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    shogun does use 4 cores (more or less, not always... etc)

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Exactly - it doesn't use them in parallel....

Threading on 4/6/8 cores doesn't mean a lot if the load balance = 95/5/5/0 and the threads are just shuffled around.

BF3 is a good example of parallel processing because the load is evenly distributed across all cores.

Skyrim is a badly coded game as you can see from my screenshot.... :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2013