Process Explorer Windows 10 missing processes

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by ElectronSpider, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Process Explorer Windows 10 missing processes [Solved]

I use Process Explorer to replace the default task manager, via a setting in option menu, since it provides a lot more information about software processes on my computer. I noticed that under processes in Process Explorer the System and Memory Compression process is not listed. I looked up the exe for it (ntoskrnl.exe) via the find function in Process Explorer and it is listed in the .dll's for explorer.exe, RunTimeBroker.exe, and ShellExperience.exe.

I am using Process Explorer version 16.12 (Feb. 2, 2016) and I set the compatibility to run as admin always. In the standard task manager, the system and compressed memory process is listed under processes. Why is it listed in task manager, but not in Process Explorer when I have it set to run as admin?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2016
  2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I'd say ask the developer but M$ bought them out(Sysinternals).Is it just named something else?

3. This is true that Microsoft owns Sysinternals. The original creator Mark Russinovich still regularly updates Process Explorer and a lot of other neat tools even though he now works for Microsoft. I'm not sure if it is named something else, but I will try to find out on the official Process Explorer forums to see if I can get an answer. I'll report what answer I get back from their forums for anyone curious.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    you are right that process is not listed by process explore, I never noticed this

5. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
  6. Well, it looks like I was looking for the wrong process. The Windows 10 task manager names the process as "System and Compressed Memory", but the standard was always just "System" process. I had never tried Process Hacker before, but I do like it too after trying it. One of the nice features in Process Hacker is you narrow down a process from the search box in the header.

In Process Explorer you can search by handle or dll, but not by process. I would have noticed this if I would have looked up the properties for the "System" process and seen that they both are referring to "ntoskrnl.exe". I would consider my question solved. Thanks all for your help!

7. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    You're welcome.