Nvidia is deliberately downgrading kepler gpu's performance in favor of Maxwell.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Angrycrab, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    Found this Interesting thread on NVidia forums. Apparently a GTX 960 out performs a GTX 780ti with the new drivers In witcher 3. I'm still unsure to either update my drivers to the latest version or wait. I have a GTX 680 and I'm not sure If the new witcher 3 drivers will lower my cards performance. What do you guys think of this move from Nvidia?

Source:https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/831639/geforce-700-600-series/nvidia-is-deliberately-downgrading-kepler-gpus-performance-in-favor-of-maxwell-/1/

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  2. bigosik

bigosik Guest

GPU:
  3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't really see the issue here. A quick run through anandtech/guru3d benchmarks paint a 980 at ~15% faster than 780Ti at launch. In the Witcher 3 benchmark, it's an overclocked 980 at about ~25% faster then a 780Ti. Obviously the 980 is going to get more optimized as it's life goes on compared to the 780Ti, which is based on an architecture that came out in 2012.

All it sounds like is Nvidia is optimizing Maxwell and leaving Kepler alone. Which isn't a big deal and expected, as they've done it with every other previous architecture.

4. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Why does this **** happen when I just upgraded to a GTX 680 rofl.

5. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Simply put this is appalling and abhorrent, honestly what do they think they are playing at? I could understand newer cards performing better if we where using DX12 but we are not there yet and why are we are seeing reduced performance from newer drivers with the same games and benchmarks, put older drivers like 347.88 and the performance is back to where it's supposed to be, seriously bad business.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It doesn't matter, it's not being downgraded, they are just not optimizing for the architecture anymore. Which you should of known when you bought a card that launched in early 2012. This isn't new.

[​IMG]

Wait where are you seeing this? Where is the benchmark that shows reduced performance on the same game with a newer driver? I haven't seen/heard of that. If that's true it's ****ed up, but that's not what they are saying in the link.

7. Huigie

Huigie Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    Hmm...

8. Blacklac

Blacklac Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB
    Why is everyone relying on review benchmarks. Can't you just install an older driver and check for yourself?? Review benchmarks are to be taken with a grain of salt, anyways...

9. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    i have an gtx670.
    i could test it, but someone else also so we can compare..
    i was about to change my driver anyway, so, why not?!?!?!

wich benchmark should we use..?

edit:

so take this driver as reference?

10. bigosik

bigosik Guest

GPU:
    elpsychodiablo wrote :

I couldnt agree more.
    Nothing but the Truth

AMDs next generation are for the most part rebrands.
    Maxwell is not a Rebrand, completely new !

I think the 290 will destroy the GTX780ti in almost every game 2016 if
    nv optimized only maxwell.
    ... and when i look back on the Price differences !
    290 was cheaper by almost half ! :infinity:

Sry for my english guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pity that I didnt bought 290, way cheaper and way more power than GTX780.

Too late :idea:

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No because they aren't downgrading performance and as far as I can tell only like one person is arguing that anyway. Why they are saying "downgrading" is beyond me.

It's more like they are optimizing Maxwell and can't optimize Kepler any longer. Which is evident from the graph I shown. 780Ti barely saw an improvement in performance since it launched. 680 was the start of Kepler, saw a 23% increase in performance in drivers alone. Who's to say that Maxwell isn't getting the same treatment? Especially because they split the crossbar up and now they have to fill multiple pipelines via the driver.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Looks like this is the follow up to those 970 memory threads, which hunt?

13. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    I guess we can only wait 4 hours for the witcher 3 release, and test If it's a downgrade or not.

14. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    This is why I ditched my 780s after owning them for only 6 months. Unfortunately nVIDIA cheaped out with the 980M so I'm waiting for mobile to catch up.

15. bigosik

bigosik Guest

GPU:
    I hope 390X is coming soon so i can throw the cripple (GTX780) out of the window.

16. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I'm so mad that my 8800GT is no longer receiving performance increases from new drivers. FU Nvidia.

17. BNSoul

BNSoul Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 660 Ti OC 3GB

one thing is not receiving performance optimizations, that's almost ok after 3 years, but downgrading performance on purpose ? why ?

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Welcome to the 970 vram threads successor. This time featuring kepler. Lol

19. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Proof that Nvidia is doing it on purpose or its all speculation. Honestly after the 970 thing, it seems like people are going out of their way to find anything they can to bash Nvidia with.

20. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    I don’t really care about this, Selling my cards soon anyway and getting a 980ti on release. I got my money's worth from my 780s they were and still are great cards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.