GMO moths coming soon

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Exascale, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
  2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Can't wait till someone makes virus giving humans expiration date too.

Hey guys, you did not pay our propagation fee. Your kids will be last generation and they'll be infertile, unless they pay.

One never knows, some rogue virus may steal those genes on random. But it is more probable that it will be used as biological weapon to wipe out undesirable populations.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Sounds like a moth version of what the show Utopia was about.

Deliberately causing the extinction of what we consider to be a pest is something that could easily be abused as our threshold for what constitutes a pest lowers.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017

5. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Please do explain how GMO is different from selective breeding over human history and how you only eat real non GMO yet Human MO food

And how GMO is somehow bad because of this

See
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Leap_Forward

Eradicating "pests" with no real scientific background or study

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Oh it certainly has the propensity of being more bad(and good!) than the selective breeding.

If nothing more then due to shere number of possible variations which are simply unattainable by more basic selection methods.
    For one, selective assumes choosing among existing life forms; while GMO can create totaly new ones.

7. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    [​IMG]

I see nothing wrong with GOM's...:D

HawaiianBrian likes this.
  8. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    GMO is completely different from selective breeding. Selective breeding combines the traits of INTERFERTILE SPECIES. GMO tech involves taking DNA from one kingdom and inserting it into the genome of another. This CAN NOT happen in nature.

For example, RoundUp Ready GMO corn and soy has genes from bacteria inserted to make them resistant to RoundUp glyphosate herbicide.

Such cross kingdom DNA manipulation is completely impossible by using selective breeding techniques. Commercial GMO food and animals did not exist before the 1990s and they are approved in a data-dredging revolving door scheme between the FDA and the biotech companies.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

Obviously wrong. Unless you think humans are not nature creatures.

Less obvious -> horizontal gene transfer.

I

10. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Um what? I do know quite a bit about these subjects.
    HGT doesn't just happen between random organisms from different kingdoms. HGT can happen between GMO bacteria and other bacteria though. One of the dangers of GMO bacterial DNA insterted into plants is the fact that you could potentially have genes horizontally transfered from the GMO crop to the bacteria of the human microbiome.

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    oh now it has to be between "random" organisms?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4358723/pdf/13059_2015_Article_607.pdf

Conclusions
    Although observed rates of acquisition of horizontally
    transferred genes in eukaryotes are generally lower than
    in prokaryotes, it appears that, far from being a rare oc-
    currence, HGT has contributed to the evolution of
    many, perhaps all, animals and that the process is on-
    going in most lineages. Between tens and hundreds of
    foreign genes are expressed in all the animals we sur-
    veyed, including humans. The majority of these genes
    are concerned with metabolism, suggesting that HGT
    contributes to biochemical diversification during animal
    evolution.

12. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Im well acquainted with it. But as i said, it is not just random cross kingdom gene splicing. Self-organized complex phenomena like horizontal gene transfer aren't the kinds of things you can get a good understanding of by googling and quoting.

There are certain organisms that it can and does happen between, and then it wont happen with others. Like, you cant just eat a mushroom and start secreting fungal toxins because you absorbed its genes. It doesnt work like that. The kind of HGT you get in nature is once again VERY different than the genetic manipulation done to splice in specific genes from different kingdoms.

You CAN get genes to combine in ways that cant happen in nature. Its similar to metallurgy. You find all kinds lf interesting crystal structures in nature. You will never find a single crystal alloy turbine blade in nature. It has to be created in a lab under specific conditions.

If the kind of manipulation accomplished by GMO tech could be done naturally, why isnt it?

Ill give you the answers: first off, it cant. Secondly, GMO organisms exist for one reason alone: they are PATENTED LIFEFORMS.

You should probably read about the "prinicipal of substantial equivalence". Its a BS legalese term invented by the patent lawyers for biotech companies.

Basically it says two contradictory things:

1 GMOs are similar enough to the original organism that they DONT require labeling, and they actively try to prevent labeling.

2 it is paradoxically SO DIFFERENT from the original that it can be patented, and you can be sued if you reproduce a GMO organism and infringe on their patent.

13. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Is it not known that GMO wheat for example has less nutritive value? How is it not understood that nature is a sliding scale. One increases the properties of one particular aspect at the sacrifice of another. The evidence is their in their own studies. Just need to connect the dots.

Please give an example of what is considered human mo food. Seriously asking, need an example so I know what to respond to.

http://www.worldwatch.org/node/5339

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/15/science/a-decline-in-the-nutritional-value-of-crops.html

Just do a search on: food less nutritious value

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Oh now that I'linked you an entire study telling otherwise, you are changing the tune to "there are certain organisms .
    But its not just certain organisms. Read it again:

" HGT has contributed to the evolution of many, perhaps all, animals...
    Between tens and hundreds of foreign genes are expressed in all the animals we surveyed, including humans."

And this is your original expertise, just so we can see how much you have backtracked since:

im done here

Q.E.D.

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    The entire world is eating a more less wattered down tasteless garbage.
    Take a trip to France, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Turkey and visit their outdoor markets to see how the real fruits and vegetables used to taste like.

16. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Nutritional value I cannot get right now with a phone

As for human mo. All of it is. Domestication of any species be it animal or plant is human mo. I don't see how it cannot be. Take big strong plants/animals and breed the with similar.

Natural banana https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=n...qifrUAhWCBcAKHQNCDZEQ_AUICSgB&biw=360&bih=559

(Surely I don't need to link you a normal banana)

All GMO is doing is accelerating the process

I do not agree with copyright seeds and pesticides let me make that clear

17. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    HGT is not inserting genes indiscriminantly between organisms from different kingdoms using a "brute force" approach to get the traits you want from one organism in another, which is what a lot of GMOs essentially are. Corn and soy that resists herbicide dont come from HGT. If you conflate those things and intentionally pretend to misinterpret what i actually said, whatever.

HGT, recombination and endogenous retroviral DNA in the human genome are very different things and processes than the methods for inserting genes you want from one organism to another. The processes i just mentioned are not random or indiscriminant. GMO tech gets around natures "rules", in essence to do things that would not occur in nature.

You are conflating naturally occurring things like recombinant DNA, HGT, bacteria evolving into mitochondria and endogenous retroviruses with laboratory work. Its not the same thing. It doesnt happen the same way, and what i said remains true. Genes are not inserted cross kingdom from species that are not interfertile. HGT, recombinant DNA and retroviruses are nothing like taking a specific bacterial gene for pesticide resistence and inserting it into corn. If you think its the same kind of process, you mustn't know how either process works.

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    wtf is wrong with you. If anything has become clear is is that you're a genetics expert almost as much you're GPU expert. For the love of god stop typing obvious nonsense.
    count your losses and move the **** on

19. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    As i have tried to make clear, GMO tech involves inserting a specific gene. It is not the combining or expression of traits through selective breeding, or even remotely similar.

That Noisiv guy seems to suffer from an inability to distinguish the difference between horizontal gene transfer and the kind of genetic modification that is done to manufacture patented lifeforms.

They could not patent the lifeform if it was created through simply accelerated selective breeding.

20. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    You sound like a CNN anchor getting triggered when they get memed and body slammed. You can retreat to your safe space and google more articles that you dont understand but quote anyway.