Which player for Blu-Ray movies ?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by r0k0, May 13, 2012.

1. r0k0

r0k0 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 H20
    Been trying to play bluray dvd's on my HTPC and cant find a program to run them, tried VLC, Windows player, windows media center, now im trying easy dvd player which says runs bluray...

which one are you guys running ?

2. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    You basically have two options for PC:
    One, get PowerDVD 12
    Two, get MakeMKV and rip it onto your harddrive (not sure the legality of this) then play it with home cinema or w/e.

3. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Arcsoft TotalMedia 5 is better than PowerDVD. I found lots of movies wouldn't load with PowerDVD and it was buggy as hell

Not to say Arcsoft are perfect, but it's been MUCH more stable for me.

Install AnyDVD if you want to watch movies region free.

4. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 TI 12G
    You can use mpc-hc with DVDfabs passkey and lav filters to watch blurays and ensure the best quality rendering with madvr and mpc-hc fullscreen auto resolution and refresh change but this method take a bit of jiggery pokery to setup though the plus is that it is free

Arcsoft on the other hand worked well on my nvidia Geforce 470 card even-though the auto refresh switch to 24hz never worked but on my AMD HD7950, Arcsoft total Theatre is buggy as hell and i have never been able to get it to work properly with 3D Blurays and Blurays

I recommend you use MPC-HC for the best quality although you will be limited to movies as its bluray playback is limited and a bit ghetto

Last edited: May 14, 2012

5. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X

This is what I started using after I started having trouble with arcsoft.

I use the DVDFab's Passkey is like a free version of AnyDVD, and setting up MPC-HC with LAV audio and MADvr really wasnt that hard. Plus it will bitstream bluray audio as well normal DD and DTS. I'm using my 5830's HDMI output for audio.

HEre's a good guide to get you started:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1357375

6. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    ArcSoft is what I tend to use...however I have gotten bluray movies playable in XBMC with DTS-MA and Dolby True-HD. Google how to if ya want. I like this interface it cuts all the menus out and it's just the movie. :)

7. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    yeah no waiting 10 minutes before you can actually start the movie you want to watch. With LAV set up you can still select the title you want to watch in case you are watching a tv series, you just have to work out which title is which episode.

8. erm

erm Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    Not many programs can read full blu-ray structure with java menu ... at this moment in my opinion the best is Cyberlink PowerDVD 11 (the 12 has problems of stability on certain hardware configurations ...) the second one is ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 5 (long ago I preferred to PowerDVD but then I encountered the problem of audio out of sync in Blu-ray 2d-3d :infinity:...) then there Corel WinDVD Pro 11 and then it should work fine Roxio CinePlayer 3d but I've never used and do not know.... if you want you can use a free media player classic home cinema, but you can not see the menu, just open the file index.bdmv with mpc-hc and start the the playlist of main movie ... greetings. :)

9. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I use WinDVD, BRILLIANT player & I preferred it to Cyberlink Power DVD which caused some pauses/stuttering in movies...

10. MKANET

MKANET Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 640GT (Kepler GPU)
    While TMT 5 supports some rare formats, that PowerDVD doesn't handle, PowerDVD 12 runs much more stable and less clunky for standard 2D bluray and especially 3D (with and without switching refresh rates). PowerDVD can even comfortably handle the most demanding 3D bluray movie while Aero glass is in full effect without a hitch.

I have TMT 5 installed for when I want to play my old HD-DVDs. However, PowerDVD 12 is definitely my choice for any recent standard movie format whether on disc or HDD. PowerDVD works particularly well with 4th/5th generation Nvidia PureVideo HD.