New laptop for my mum

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Steven Hone, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Steven Hone

Steven Hone Paolo the Gun

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 3X OC
    Hi guys,
    Im buying a laptop for my mum. Im looking at this:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=LT-113-AS

Looks ok and is good value?

She will be watching DVD's / Videos / Using Outlook / Account Software / Browsing Web and some other not too demanding stuff.

Max price would be 300 GBP and just looking for the best I can get for this money. Dual core preferred of some sort and your help and sugestions would be much appreciated. Thank you

2. [Spitfire]

[Spitfire] Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi HD2600
    weird... it says its a dual core but that sempron processor aint dual core
    at least i don't think so..
    wait for other responses, i don't much on the AMD side

3. bradbb2005

bradbb2005 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD4550
    Link isnt working, but my girlfriend has a single core sempron in her emachines with 1.5 gb ram, and ill tell you what it is actually a nice fast machine and very power conserving like 3 hours on full charge, but since i couldnt see other specs i dunno, btw that is with XP Media center, idk how it would run with vista

4. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    With AMD ive seen some X2s for low prices w/ 2gb ram and 160gb of hd for cheap

With Intel ive seen Centrino Duos with same specs as AMD at a low price as well.

I got mine last year but it was a centrino solo, 512mb ram (upped to 1gb) 80gb hd and runs pretty fast but thats after i reformatted the entire hd and put a clean OS, runs about 3hours on a single charge...

but the prices vary.. the higher the cpu the higher the price, integrated vs addin video cards can also affect the price... not so much on the harddrive nowdays but the faster ones tend to be more costly but really you dont need an uber fast one if you're not gonna game on ur laptop...

i have vista premium as a free upgrade cd but i never installed it yet after hearing about battery life consumption but if they improve on that and tweak buncho stuff on sp1 ill consider it but xp pro is pretty solid right now and it will boot up quickly on most laptops

try to get a laptop w/ ddr2 ram, they're really cheap especially 2x1gb ones online whenever ur thinking about upgrading... even up to this day the ddr1 for the laptop seems to be costly cause the demand for them is low...