Need help deciding on a decent Laptop

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by samusaran1, Jan 4, 2008.

1. samusaran1

samusaran1 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 710/1970
    I think I have narrowed my search down to these two but I am open to suggestions from anyone on better laptops from other brands. I am looking for a laptop that I can get decent gaming out of but I need the laptop for school. Word processing and hooking into projection systems is a must. Here are the links:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16834220231

This one has a ATI2600 GPU and it has its own 512 memory. The ram is only at a gig but I will buy another 2-gig stick for a total of 3 gigs. The hard drive is large enough for my needs as an "away from my desktop computer" and it has a 2.2 ghtz CPU

The second one:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16834220239

This one is pretty similar to the one above only it has a 8600GS GPU with less memory.

Neither notebook has a 7200 RPM HD which I would like but I can suffice with a 5400 I suppose.

I could build my dream notebook over at Cyberpowerpc.com but I have just read to much bad press about them in the past to feel good sending them all of my money.

My ideal setup would be less than 1300 dollars. Can any one give me some help in finding a better laptop than these for the same amount of money. I do not want to plat Crisis at max with the laptop but I would like to be somewhat future proof as far as games goes if possible.

Thanks for the help,
    Sanus

2. [Spitfire]

[Spitfire] Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi HD2600
    i'd go for the 1st option
    better vga

3. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    I'd say go with the second one (8600M GS) because you can upgrade to 4GB (2 x 2GB) and maybe get a nice laptop cooler all for under the price of the first one.

I also believe that the HD 2600 is GDDR2. So that 512MB dedicated memory ain't going to do much anyways.

-Mike

4. [Spitfire]

[Spitfire] Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi HD2600
    nah.. first ones better
    cause that HD2600 just owns that 8600GS
    i got a HD2600 DDR2 256mb and you should see COD4 on it
    owns the 8600GS in benchies
    and 4gb of ram is a waste unless your running 64bit os

5. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Okay, you might be right about the performance difference.

@OP, get the first one and upgrade to at least 2GB of ram (4GB preferably).

Laptop memory is getting cheaper and cheaper by the minute. 4GB would be my choice, especially if you are using Vista... :p

6. [Spitfire]

[Spitfire] Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi HD2600
    solid.. you running on vista x64?

7. samusaran1

samusaran1 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 710/1970
    Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I definitely plan on picking up at least a 2-gig stick when I order the laptop to bring it up to 3 gigs total. I thought that 4 gigs was a waste unless I had a 64 bit OS.

Are there any other options in that price range are is this about as good as I am gonna be able to get for under 1300?

8. [Spitfire]

[Spitfire] Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi HD2600
  9. samusaran1

samusaran1 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 710/1970
    Yeah, I had seen that one on there but I wasn't sure if Cyberpowerpc was a good brand to buy or not. Like I said, I can assemble a great system at Cyberpowerpc.com for about 1250 but I am skeptical of them since they are not very well established in the gaming community. I have also heard horror stories about their shipping department.

10. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    I wish I could but no.

The Intel Core Duo is incapable of 64-bit instructions. :(

@samusaran1, stick with that Asus notebook. That Cyberpower laptop may look nice (spec-wise) but trust me, from numerous reviews, it's not worth it.

11. samusaran1

samusaran1 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 710/1970
    What about Powernotebooks.com.

I have found pretty decent reviews from there and I was able to build pretty much the same build as the Asus but with a 8600 GT 512 MB for about 100 more. Plus it would come with the 64 bit Vista Premium.

It is a Sager brand if that amounts to anything. My main concern is that, unlike my desktop, I wot be able to replace s many components in the notebook so I am trying to cover all my ground before I buy it.

12. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Actually yeah I have heard of great things about Powernotebooks.com. That's where numerous people I know are getting their Sager SP9262.

The main thing in a notebook that is pretty much impossible to upgrade is the GPU. Everything else is fairly easy: CPU, HDD, memory (memory being the easiest).

13. [Spitfire]

[Spitfire] Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi HD2600
    solidbladez.. you got 4gig of ram on a 32bit OS? does it show your using 4gig or 2.7?

14. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    It shows 3326MB in Vista (x86) and 3.2GB in XP Professional (x86).

Even if I switched to a 64-bit CPU, and got a x64 OS, I still would not be able to see 4GB. The Intel 945 chipset just cannot address the full 4GB of ram. :(

15. [Spitfire]

[Spitfire] Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi HD2600
    but do you feel a big difference in performance between 4gigs and 2gigs?

16. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Er?

8600 will easily out perform the HD2600, well just anyway.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  17. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    @aircool, we're talking about notebook GPU's not the desktop versions. It's a little different in the mobile community.. ;)

@Inuk, in XP.. no (obviously). But in Vista, a small increase, very small. One thing I have noticed is that my HDD is less 'thrashy' and programs seem to be opening up quicker.

Oh, and if you are wondering where I got mine at, I got them at Fry's (outpost.com).

4GB PC2-5400 DDR2 (OCZ2MV6674GK) - $59.99 (after M/R)

18. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    I do know that, and I do know in real world use the 8600 will pull through over the Hd 2600 and its not like I dont know the mobile community either.

EDIT: Infact theres little to no difference after doing some light google-ing.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  19. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Oh, got ya. Just wanted to make sure..

20. samusaran1

samusaran1 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 710/1970
    I think I have decided to just build one through Powernotebooks.com. I can get a faster CPU, a 8600GT 512 and a 7200 RPM HD for about 200 bucks more so I think that would be my best bet.

I am gonna have hell explaining the 1300 dollar laptop over the 1100 dollar one to my wife but She will just have to get over it I suppose.

I have found some really great reviews of powernotebooks. Has anyone heard any horror stories?