What's your opinion on Russell Brand?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Phragmeister, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    I couldn't stand the guy back when he was a presenter on MTV, his personality aggravated me to no end, but I do believe he's gone through some sort of transformation over the past few years, and I have grown to respect him a bit more. He's very articulate when he wants to be, and his confidence is quite magnetic.

I'd like to recommend you watch this before judging him based on past events such as the aforementioned, just to give you a better impression of how he's changed -

2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Not a fan of his comedy, but he seems well on to it as far as world issues are concerned.

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I wasn't a big fan of what he did to Katy Perry. She was beyond into him, and he ended up deciding he wanted kids right then when she didn't want to. Instead of compromise, he just divorced her. I don't think she'll ever recover, honestly.

Huge dick move, Russell.

4. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    The guy is scum

I'm glad I don't pay my TV licence

5. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    He did release an apology about it, though. Fair enough it was a horrible thing to do, very insensitive, but the apology sounded sincere. **** happens when you're not thinking about the consequences.

I'm not defending his actions on the incident, I'm just emphasising the fact that he fully acknowledged the mistake he made and addressed it with compassion.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Love the guy. Been posting clips of his in vid section for a couple years. No ones perfect. He's fast in his deliveries and humour, so at times the implications of what he says or does may not dawn upon him until afterwards. He just didnt think things through with the Sachs affair and he apologized afterwards. But lets be honest he's very intelligent and articulate and imo has a good grasp of world affairs and politics and is always supporting the underclass or downtrodden and absolutely skewers any politician he may tangle with on TV.

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    A little off topic..

I wish Mark Lamar would come back to comedy. Loved him on NMTB. Even left Jimmy Carr lost for words a few times.

8. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    This interview between Brand and Jeremy Paxman was great to watch. Check it out if you haven't seen already -

9. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    Complete tosser. Aside from taunting pensioners live on TV that he's had "****ed your granddaughter", he's a publicity hungry agitator who would prefer to say whatever mob-pleasing crap makes him look like a "common person's hero" than deal with actual realities.

He got some offices of the Royal Bank of Scotland locked down with his camera crew antics last week to which one of the employees (who was coming back from lunch and stuck outside for an hour as a result) wrote an open letter to him which is mildly amusing.

Russell Brand made a big deal out of being locked out, showing himself as some righteous campaigner. Lowly worker made the rather obvious point:

But if you watch the footage from Brand he's got the bank on the run, they've had to lock the doors to prevent him exposing them, etc. and etc.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...ublicity-stunt-leaves-him-hungry-9930135.html

He responded to the letter btw. Said: "all the doors were locked and crowds gathered outside. I must say Jo; it felt like RBS had something terrible to hide"

Well yes, there were crowds gathering because half of them needed to get back into the office and half of them were wondering why there were all these people milling about and a film crew running up and down. It's that kind of disingenuous media-pandering nonsense that makes me loathe him. Doesn't respond to valid points, just shifts ground and tries to imply presence of a crowd shows support for him, or that if he hadn't been locked out he'd have caught directors of RBS beating their peasants in the lobby over glasses of champagne or something.

There is no conceivable way that a PR stunt like that could actually have the result of unmasking "something terrible". So it can't be the intent even though that's what he pretends it is. The only possible intents are self-promotion as a 'champion of the people' or embarrassing RBS. Well the latter back-fired badly and really, any office or business of reasonable size would close the doors and refuse access if a camera crew suddenly and aggressively tried to force their way in. If you were holding down a job as a security guard, what would YOU do? So it's not like there's anything embarrassing with their response. But the former - well yes, that worked fine because once again, Russell Brand has leapt on a target that many people hate and shown how he is fighting for justice.

(Nevermind that the UK tax-payer is going to make a profit on the RBS deal, which is what usually happens when you buy a company at rock-bottom prices because it's in trouble and then sell it years later when it's back on its feet and doing alright. But that's just an aside).

He's a good looking tosser with the intellectual honesty of pretty much every other type of zealot and has shown he doesn't actually give a **** about hurting people on countless occasions. But hey, he's a tosser on the Side Of Right, so he's popular with some.

You know what I think of him as? Basically a skinny Michael Moore.

10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    He's an idiot.

11. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    It took me eleven paragraphs to say that. :(

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    ^^ This

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Thats a major aspect I like about him, he ruffles a lot of feathers. Especially nationalist, conservative, establishment types. And none can effectively stand up to him on live media.. he always manages to tear them apart with great effect and witt and which makes for a good spectacle. :D

14. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Complete a$$hole!

15. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    An opinionated comedian attacking actors and politicians.

Never really watched any of his stuff and even with this post I just went and read up on some of his shenanigans, and watched some videos, my only thought is good for him.

16. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    You can accomplish all sorts of things in a time-constrained slot where you don't have to reference or support your arguments and you mainly focus on snappily dismissing what people say with pat soundbites and trap-questions. Do you like Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh, too? Because they do exactly the same thing.

Or is it just that you have a particular side you see yourself as being on and Russell Brand is "on yours" ? I put quotes around "on yours" because whilst Russell Brand is quite happy to spin a Man of the People accent and attack businesses over taxes (sometimes ill-foundedly), he's been quite happy to take tax-payer money for his projects whilst being worth millions of pounds and to belittle or aggressively attack any ordinary person who pokes a hole in his image.

Personally I hate Sound-Bite Politics. You used to need to be informed and to put together a solid argument to rise in politics, now you need to be the one who can make the other look less comfortable in a TV slot. There are a lot of people with great voices who can't make it as a singer because they're not thin / pretty / young enough (esp. for women but for men these days, too). There are plenty of honest, smart people who would make great politicians, but they're not photogenic enough or think too much before they speak to come across in a TV debate where looking in control and making certain sounding statements to get elected. And it happens over and over. We live in a culture where appearance is more important than substance and Russell Brand does a pretty good job of embodying that.

He's not unique in this sadly, there are plenty of him out there.

17. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Marry me and have my children please. :D

18. jimdove

jimdove Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    funny bloke, right on some things, wrong on others. far FAR worse people on TV than him.

The Hitch FTW btw,

19. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    Yes, nine months of waddling around like someone stuffed a medicine ball in my womb followed by eighteen years of blind ingratitude and other people's laundry. Sounds delightful! I'm having kids when I can afford a 24/7 live-in nanny and not before. Sorry.

20. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I love you! :) Your like a female Russell Brand.