Ivy Bridge realease date?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by kens30, Mar 28, 2012.

1. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Does anyone know when the z77 and ivy bridge cpu's will be released?Has there been an official launch date been announced that i have missed?
    If someone knows anything or can give me a link for the new cpu's being released as i will be upgrading to the new platform around end of April or May.
    Any info would be appreciated thanks.:)

2. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Z77 boards are already out my friend. Ivy Bridge is still on the process though, I believe it will be released around april (the first models)

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Ivy bridge could be the fastest socket to be phased out,great if you already own SB Mobo but if your going for an IB mobo i would be cautious.

4. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    I agree with the upgrade with a Sandy bridge board, but why is it that you say don't go for an IB mobo?
    I'll keep my Z68 and put in a new i7 when they come out :)

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

If you haven't already got the board and will be getting an Ivy Bridge processor, its absolute lunacy to get a 60 series board unless you get a massive deal on it (like a $200 motherboard for $60 or something along those lines).

Intel want to bring out a new CPU each year, and a new socket every second year. The socket 1150 (cooler compatible with socket 1156/1155) will only last 2 years as well, since post Broadwell they will be going to DDR4. If they decide to go to DDR4 sooner, socket 1150 will only last 1 generation - unlikely. In any case, don't worry about the generational socket thing. In most cases, if you have the need to upgrade the CPU, you have the need to upgrade the motherboard too :)

What I mean by this is someone with an i5-2500K probably won't upgrade to an i5-3570K (in general), and although the provision is there maximum benefit can only be obtained with a new motherboard based on the Z77/Z75 chipset anyway. Just be thankful that if you buy a CPU cooler now for an Ivy Bridge, you will get a minimum of 3 years use out of it, assuming the DDR4 post Broadwell socket has different mounting holes. Even then, compatible mounting kits may be available.

6. head

head Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870-DC2
    I think the release date was around 8 april but they moved it back to 28 april, not 100% sure tho.

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The reason is because if IB is a smaller version of SB with a slight higher oc and lower power then when SB becomes a dead socket then wont IB become dead at the same time?Its essentially the same architecture,so if its true that haswell is due in maybe early 2013 or even q2 2013 then unless there is more cpus being released for SB,IB then they will both become dead,SB is already a year old or more.
    I could be wrong but its worth keeping in mind....they way i understand it IB is just a stepping stone until haswell,abit like the 32x was until the dreamcast came along....hence dissapointment.

8. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Thanks all for your advice.My main system that i will be upgrading is the one on my profile socket 775 I think i have waited long enough for an upgrade and it doesn't bother me if it will be the fastest socket to be phased out or not.For the moment ivy bridge will be more than enough to last me the next 2-3 years as i only use my system for gaming,browsing,and a little photo editing and the support for pci-e 3.0 will future proof me for new gpu's which is the main thing that i upgrade more frequently.Just to let you know my cpu struggles to keep a reasonable frame rate at 3.8ghz on cpu bound games.:)

9. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    IB will have at most a 15% higher performance than its predecessor.
    And that is @ CPU bound software, not games. If you intend to browse and game and a bit of multitasking, get a Z68 board, an i7 2600K - i5 2500k, OC to 4.3-4.5Ghz and you are set to go for 3 more years. But get a good SSD so you feel the nappiness the SB is capable of.
    For gaming you must know that the GPU is the main thing. an i7 2600k + 7970 or a GTX680 would be ideal.

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    iirc i read somewhere that the 22nm haswell will be same socket as 1155 but the 14nm haswell which would come out a year~ after 22nm haswell will require socket 1150, but maybe that was a rumor. so there might be life left in the socket, but not sure i havent seen any real hard evidence.

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    If socket 1155 is first gen haswell then what will happen to this socket once the 2nd gen haswell comes out,is it possible that the first gen socket could only last a year?Im still sceptical about IB motherboards regarding there longetivity,im running at 4.4 so i dont need to buy one anyhow.

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Longevity of the motherboard isn't an issue unless you want to upgrade to a newer CPU architecture. If you want to change to a new CPU architecture, then you need to upgrade the motherboard anyway, so the upgrade issue is actually a non-issue :) Besides, Haswell will most likely be delayed...

13. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Prefer to wait one month for ivy bridge lower tdp=less heat + most likely higher OC than sandy at acceptable temps + pci-e 3.0 support.:)

14. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    Actually, socket LGA1156 was probably one of the shortest supported socket in recent history. It never received CPU updates beyond Lynnfield if I recall. LGA1155 starting with Sandy Bridge and Ending with Ivy Bridge is something of a boon and I see little reason to complain.

Upgrading beyond that doesn’t necessarily matter if the new platform doesn’t yield significant performance increases,….(which remain to be seen). We have a lot of people basically ignoring Sandy Bridge-E Core i7 3960X, 3930K and 3820 / X79 boards because of the price and performance ratio with respect to Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge while there is no guaranty that Intel Haswell will be any better in this respect.

Anyway, what I have heard is that Ivy Bridge Z77 motherboards (and others) will be readily available in early April and desktop Ivy Bridge chips will be available late April. Mobile Ivy Bridge processors have supposedly been belayed even longer.

Personally, if I see a nice Z77 motherboard I like with Intel Thunderbolt support I may buy it with a Core i7 3770K and new video card. If not I might buy just a Core i7 3770, new video card and call it a day,….

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No no, 1st haswell suposedly uses same socket as SB and IB(1155) according to some rumor i read. I Guess 1155 would see EoL after 2nd gen haswell.but 3 gens of cpus, cant complain about that really. 2nd gen haswell will use 1150. And w/e is after that will use sockey 1150.

Im actually contemplating ivy 3770k and the asus P8Z77 WS Revolution. I dont need it but my current boards pcie layout sucks

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

16. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Hmmm not sure about this, if its true it'll be very nice. However Haswell is a brand new Arch and its unlikely they'll be able to keep the same socket because of that, and then suddenly change the layout when the die shrunk version of Haswell arrives seems, at least to me, even less likely.

Just my two cents, please no flaming ;)

17. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    I agree,.....

Also from what I have heard Haswell will be LGA1150. I've heard of no such LGA1155 support. Beyond a credible source I wouldn’t put too much stock in such support or even the lack thereof. both reasoning seems to agree on LGA1150 though so LGA1150 seems likely.

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    If there is not no 1155 support then IB will become a dead socket also as well as SB,thats the point i was trying to make,not sure if it worth buying an IB motherboard as it could be a dead socket sooner than you think..hence stepping stone.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I wish x58 architecture lasted a little longer,it was phased out rather quickly compared to SB.

20. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Yeah all I've read is socket 1150, not read anything about 1155 support. I just don't see it happening.

To be honest I think its something we're going to have to get used to, I think Intel are planning new Arch's every 2 years, so its likely that each new arch will be accompanied by a new socket. So if your worried about socket life then you need to be buying the tick, which if memory serves is the first of the new arch then the tock is its die shrink and other little bit and pieces that come along with that.

Think people we're probably spoiled a little with socket 775 as it seemed, I think, to go on for a while. Whereas newer sockets won't. Bit like maybe Microsoft and Windows, lots of peeps got used to XP being around forever and now some complain that Win7 and now Win8 came/are coming along too quickly. Seems similar to me anyway :)